Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PCM Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F-1CLEVELAND
I did revive my PCM i booted it as a blank and even salvaged my programmer. Any one have simple ideas on single shot software. Cant use ford that I have access to because the software works in packages, flash for a 97 and get trans and 4x4 functions for a 97 and not be able to work with my factory GEM module.
That's good that you got it to work.

As for single shot tuning, you'll have to go with an aftermarket tuner to get programming. What injectors are you planning to run? You'll have to get all the specs to tell the tuner so they can correctly program for them. Nozzle size, flow rates, and even who built them are all important info.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got two 97 engines as spare cores and have a friend at the pump shop local. Got about a dozen cat huei injector and going to entertain building my own hybrid. still trying to work out the fluid dynamics in my head for aplifyier piston sizing to nozzle pintle for an improvement.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Time is money and parts are free!!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
got two 97 engines as spare cores and have a friend at the pump shop local. Got about a dozen cat huei injector and going to entertain building my own hybrid. still trying to work out the fluid dynamics in my head for aplifyier piston sizing to nozzle pintle for an improvement.
Ewww, good luck with that.

Grab some B-codes and build your own hybrids.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Ewww, good luck with that.

Grab some B-codes and build your own hybrids.

B-codes what are you refereing to? I still havent gotten upto date with 7.3 injectors or Hybrid definitions. Do you know the physical diff between single and split shots.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
B-codes what are you refereing to? I still havent gotten upto date with 7.3 injectors or Hybrid definitions. Do you know the physical diff between single and split shots.
Our engines and the International T444E engines come with A codes. B code injectors came on DT466 and I530E International engines.

A codes have a 6mm plunger and 16mm intensifier piston, with an injection pressure ratio of 7:1.

B codes have a larger plunger of 7.1mm, and a 17.5mm intensifier piston, with an injection pressure ratio of 6:1.

A codes come in several configurations, and can be found in AA's (single shot 90cc injectors found on 94-97 PSD's), AB's (split shot 130cc injectors found on Cali 97 trucks and early 99's), AC's (single shot 160cc injectors found on high output T444E engines), and AD's (split shot 140cc injectors found on 99.5-03 PSD's). AE injectors are essentially the same as AD's, but with a longer lead pilot shot.

The difference between singles and split shots is that split shots have small passages that allow fuel to bypass to the outside of the barrel for the initial pilot shot. In a sense it "robs" fuel, causing a smaller amount of fuel to be injected at the main event, even though AB's use the same size plunger and barrel assembly as an AC injector. AD's push more fuel than AB's because of the longer plunger stroke.

Hybrids are taking the plunger and barrel assembly out of a B code injector and putting it in an A code. By doing this you can keep the stock sized nozzles, as well as the intensifier piston from the A code injector, thus enabling you to maintain stock fueling if you want as well as lower oil requirements, or with proper programming hold the PW open longer or increase ICP pressure for a LOT more fuel than a stock injector. Hybrids give you the versatility of being extremely streetable (and great for towing), but also have lots of power on tap when you want it, all without requiring a huge amount of oil.

You can throw in straight B codes into a Powerstroke, but you need a whole bunch of oil to run them.

As for nozzles, larger nozzles allow fuel to flow out faster. The problem here is it's harder to atomize the fuel into smaller droplets. Injectors with larger nozzles can make more power, but as a side effect you'll see more smoke and higher EGT's.

Anyway, hope this helps explain a few things. This isn't my info, it's stuff I've learned and stolen from others over the years.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Good deal best explination I've seen Thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Kemmpe ? Only one repair on warranty. 860ft/lb on the dyno no need for your 30hp you feel you have a power issue? The engine dynoed with 80psi fue press make sure you have atleast 75 psi full rpm no load an no less than 68psi pulling. Also be carefull if anyone has ever replace injectors you can put the wrong ones in and the parts look up for these engines and cat is very missguided.
Thanks for all the info. I bought the truck used last Dec with 11.3K miles and it's only got 22K now. I use dino Rotella and change twice a year which is about 6K and both fuel filters once per year.

I've done a couple of UOAs and coolant checks because I learned that my KAL is in the group with "porous" cylinder heads. I know I don't have a fuel pressure sensor because when a CAT dealer flashed me to the latest 2006 ECM I got an ECM code and went back and had the ECM set for the "no FPS" option.

Could you please post or PM me your location. I travel coast to coast each year and you might be on one of my routes. Can you say what the "Only one repair on warranty" was for?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
Checked on the claim it was filed by paper so no story online. By the parts used it was an oil filter leak or oil cooler gasket leaks. Chesapeake Ford Truck Sales 8540 Pulaski Hwy Baltimore Md Theres a casting mark to identify the pouris head trucks but thats alittle old. I'll keep my eyes out for the campaign.