antifreeze - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

antifreeze

Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
renoduckman
Senior User
renoduckman is starting off with a positive reputation.
antifreeze

I was wondering what you guys have been using for antifreeze? I have the gold color in my truck and i am due to change. I thought it might be best to use the same one so i dont have any odd problem with a reaction of some sorts? We had that issue come up at work with some big Detroit diesel generators . Thanks Joe

Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
You're right to be cautious about mixing different chemistries! And there are more than enough exceptions to the rule that you can NOT just go by color. You need to know exactly what was in it and refill/replace with the same, or thoroughly flush it.

Me?
I dumped and thoroughly flushed out whatever was in there and refilled with good old Peak ethylene glycol based antifreeze - the green stuff. And change it every 2 years.
That is what is in all my other vehicles, so less chance I will accidently screw up something. The ethylene glycol is compatible with the materials in the V10 gasser, not sure about the diesel...

Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
check the owners manual and probably on the radiator or under the hood. Most of the Fords are using the motorcraft gold, yellow in color. You will not want to mix it with anything else, best to just get it as it is already premixed.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
ironmine
Senior User
ironmine is starting off with a positive reputation.
Isn't the difference between the two antifreezes used by Ford, is that one is extended life, and the other isn't?

That's why Prestone states their Extended Life antifreeze mixes with any antifreeze in any car or light truck?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 PM
PSDx3
Senior User
PSDx3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel engines have different issues with cooloant than gas engines. For example: The high compression causes cavitation issues in the coolant passages on the outside of the cylinder walls, which leads to pitting and hot spots; Also, diesels cause more dropout of silicate which can cause gelling in the coolant. I would stick with the gold or another major brand made for diesels.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
renoduckman
Senior User
antifreeze

I read some place on the site that the Zerek G05 meets the ford spec for the Gold coolant but i cant find that now? That it might even be where ford gets it from? Just a thought Joe

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
slowmans
Postmaster
slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
in all honesty, why not just spend the $16.00(thats what I paid at ford) for the right coolant and be done with it?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by renoduckman View Post
I was wondering what you guys have been using for antifreeze? I have the gold color in my truck and i am due to change. I thought it might be best to use the same one so i dont have any odd problem with a reaction of some sorts? We had that issue come up at work with some big Detroit diesel generators . Thanks Joe
If it uses the regular gold Ford antifreeze, you should use either that or Zerex G-05, which is also gold and which is the same formula. Some Chrysler apps also use G-05. I bought the Zerex stuff at Pep Boys for my '91 BMW (G-05 is almost identical to OEM BMW antifreeze).

..oops I just noted that you were asking about G-05, and you're right. Zerex has a page that shows applications for their formulas, and G-05 is shown as Ford gold.

edit: here's the page

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10

I would not mix anything else with the G-05 *if* that is what you've got in there.

George

Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by slowmans View Post
in all honesty, why not just spend the $16.00(thats what I paid at ford) for the right coolant and be done with it?

rep points for that one! that is the best advice!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mwsF250 View Post
You're right to be cautious about mixing different chemistries! And there are more than enough exceptions to the rule that you can NOT just go by color. You need to know exactly what was in it and refill/replace with the same, or thoroughly flush it.

Me?
I dumped and thoroughly flushed out whatever was in there and refilled with good old Peak ethylene glycol based antifreeze - the green stuff. And change it every 2 years.
That is what is in all my other vehicles, so less chance I will accidently screw up something. The ethylene glycol is compatible with the materials in the V10 gasser, not sure about the diesel...
I have the 5.4L engine. I think that I'll take mwsF250's approach the next time that I change my coolant. I know that I can completely flush what's in there now and go with the "green stuff." My concern is not the cost of the Motorcraft Gold coolant but its availability, especially while traveling. I'd hate to need some coolant and have to start looking for a Ford dealership because no convenient store sells the type coolant I need. Just my opinion...

Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Furian View Post
I have the 5.4L engine. I think that I'll take mwsF250's approach the next time that I change my coolant. I know that I can completely flush what's in there now and go with the "green stuff." My concern is not the cost of the Motorcraft Gold coolant but its availability, especially while traveling. I'd hate to need some coolant and have to start looking for a Ford dealership because no convenient store sells the type coolant I need. Just my opinion...
I dunno; there are a lot of Ford dealers around. I like the 5-year life of the gold stuff, instead of the 2 years on the green stuff. Unless you have a leak, you shouldn't need to add antifreeze on a trip or otherwise....and in a pinch, you could just add water if it was above freezing, or some generic "mix with anything" antifreeze from any auto parts store to get you home or wherever.

I just don't see any negatives to staying with the gold G-05.

George

Old 03-01-2009, 02:07 PM
renoduckman
Senior User
thanks

Thanks for the advice. Will go with the Go5. The cost is not the issue, i just didnt want to screw up! Ford probably gets it from Zerex. Joe