Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   antifreeze (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/826244-antifreeze.html)

renoduckman 02-27-2009 03:30 PM

antifreeze

I was wondering what you guys have been using for antifreeze? I have the gold color in my truck and i am due to change. I thought it might be best to use the same one so i dont have any odd problem with a reaction of some sorts? We had that issue come up at work with some big Detroit diesel generators . Thanks Joe

mwsF250 02-27-2009 03:58 PM

You're right to be cautious about mixing different chemistries! And there are more than enough exceptions to the rule that you can NOT just go by color. You need to know exactly what was in it and refill/replace with the same, or thoroughly flush it.

Me?
I dumped and thoroughly flushed out whatever was in there and refilled with good old Peak ethylene glycol based antifreeze - the green stuff. And change it every 2 years.
That is what is in all my other vehicles, so less chance I will accidently screw up something. The ethylene glycol is compatible with the materials in the V10 gasser, not sure about the diesel...

senix 02-27-2009 07:36 PM

check the owners manual and probably on the radiator or under the hood. Most of the Fords are using the motorcraft gold, yellow in color. You will not want to mix it with anything else, best to just get it as it is already premixed.

ironmine 02-27-2009 07:53 PM

Isn't the difference between the two antifreezes used by Ford, is that one is extended life, and the other isn't?

That's why Prestone states their Extended Life antifreeze mixes with any antifreeze in any car or light truck?

PSDx3 02-27-2009 08:14 PM

Diesel engines have different issues with cooloant than gas engines. For example: The high compression causes cavitation issues in the coolant passages on the outside of the cylinder walls, which leads to pitting and hot spots; Also, diesels cause more dropout of silicate which can cause gelling in the coolant. I would stick with the gold or another major brand made for diesels.

renoduckman 02-28-2009 03:40 PM

antifreeze

I read some place on the site that the Zerek G05 meets the ford spec for the Gold coolant but i cant find that now? That it might even be where ford gets it from? Just a thought Joe

slowmans 02-28-2009 06:33 PM

in all honesty, why not just spend the $16.00(thats what I paid at ford) for the right coolant and be done with it?:-banghead

YoGeorge 02-28-2009 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by renoduckman (Post 7198561)
I was wondering what you guys have been using for antifreeze? I have the gold color in my truck and i am due to change. I thought it might be best to use the same one so i dont have any odd problem with a reaction of some sorts? We had that issue come up at work with some big Detroit diesel generators . Thanks Joe

If it uses the regular gold Ford antifreeze, you should use either that or Zerex G-05, which is also gold and which is the same formula. Some Chrysler apps also use G-05. I bought the Zerex stuff at Pep Boys for my '91 BMW (G-05 is almost identical to OEM BMW antifreeze).

..oops I just noted that you were asking about G-05, and you're right. Zerex has a page that shows applications for their formulas, and G-05 is shown as Ford gold.

edit: here's the page

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10

I would not mix anything else with the G-05 *if* that is what you've got in there.

George

senix 02-28-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by slowmans (Post 7202991)
in all honesty, why not just spend the $16.00(thats what I paid at ford) for the right coolant and be done with it?:-banghead

rep points for that one! that is the best advice!

Furian 02-28-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 7198658)
You're right to be cautious about mixing different chemistries! And there are more than enough exceptions to the rule that you can NOT just go by color. You need to know exactly what was in it and refill/replace with the same, or thoroughly flush it.

Me?
I dumped and thoroughly flushed out whatever was in there and refilled with good old Peak ethylene glycol based antifreeze - the green stuff. And change it every 2 years.
That is what is in all my other vehicles, so less chance I will accidently screw up something. The ethylene glycol is compatible with the materials in the V10 gasser, not sure about the diesel...

I have the 5.4L engine. I think that I'll take mwsF250's approach the next time that I change my coolant. I know that I can completely flush what's in there now and go with the "green stuff." My concern is not the cost of the Motorcraft Gold coolant but its availability, especially while traveling. I'd hate to need some coolant and have to start looking for a Ford dealership because no convenient store sells the type coolant I need. Just my opinion...

YoGeorge 02-28-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Furian (Post 7203234)
I have the 5.4L engine. I think that I'll take mwsF250's approach the next time that I change my coolant. I know that I can completely flush what's in there now and go with the "green stuff." My concern is not the cost of the Motorcraft Gold coolant but its availability, especially while traveling. I'd hate to need some coolant and have to start looking for a Ford dealership because no convenient store sells the type coolant I need. Just my opinion...

I dunno; there are a lot of Ford dealers around. I like the 5-year life of the gold stuff, instead of the 2 years on the green stuff. Unless you have a leak, you shouldn't need to add antifreeze on a trip or otherwise....and in a pinch, you could just add water if it was above freezing, or some generic "mix with anything" antifreeze from any auto parts store to get you home or wherever.

I just don't see any negatives to staying with the gold G-05.

George

renoduckman 03-01-2009 01:07 PM

thanks

Thanks for the advice. Will go with the Go5. The cost is not the issue, i just didnt want to screw up! Ford probably gets it from Zerex. Joe