1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

blew my high pressure fuel line- need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
LCA078
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
blew my high pressure fuel line- need suggestions

What a day. My '95 has been sitting silent at my dad's shop for a while as it wouldn't start for him after he drove it all day. I was out of town but I figured it was the CPS from what he told me (crank with no smoke and little movement on the tach), I figured I'd just pop a new one in when I got back. Showed up with a couple CPS's and noticed the truck had the typical bad-CPS symptoms. Tossed in a new CPS and nothing. Damn. Started the whole troubleshooting thing. After making sure it wasnt' the batteries, fuses, and fuel pressure, I guessed it was probably a dirty IPR or bad HPOP. (Luckily I picked up the IPR o-rings with the CPS's just in case it wasn't a CPS). Spent the whole day ripping everything off, rebuilding the IPR (o-rings were shot and it was DIRTY!) and replacing the fuel pump (always knew it had a slight leak but didnt' want to mess with it). Put everything back together and crossed my fingers. Cranked less than 5 seconds and she sprung to life! WOOHOO! A couple rough spots but hey, I just replaced the IPR so I figured there was some air in the lines. Checked over everything, no leaks, no drips, and she just purred. Alright, time for a test drive. Ran her on the highway and she ran like a raped ape! Man I missed that feeling of a PSD wide open. Brought her back to the shop and parked her on the concrete to look for leaks in the morning. Got out and noticed diesel pouring everywhere. Crap... Started her up and noticed the braided steel fuel line that runs from the regulator the right side of the engine was pouring fuel everywhere. Huh, guess that new fuel pump and little ol' BB I shimmed in the regulator was just a little too much for those old lines.

So, problem is I need the truck fixed tomorrow but I won't be able to find a Ford store or hydraulic store open tomorrow. Does anyone know of a Napa/Autozone/Tractor Supply/anything part that I can pick up on a Sunday. I was thinking about just sleeving a section of high pressure fuel line in over the broken line until I can get the real parts in. Anyone have ideas?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're talking about the fuel return lines that run from the front of the heads to the FPR? They're not braided steel, just normal high pressure fuel line with JIC fittings on the end. Either push lok or barbed fitting with work on a piece of fuel line.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 AM
jeep1947
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 what Rodney said, be sure u get the fuel injector rated line it will have a blue lining on the hose and get the fuel injector gear clamps they are smooth inside and do not cut the fuel line like regular gear clamps.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeep1947
X2 what Rodney said, be sure u get the fuel injector rated line it will have a blue lining on the hose and get the fuel injector gear clamps they are smooth inside and do not cut the fuel line like regular gear clamps.
Not all brands of high pressure fuel injection hose has the blue liner but as long as it meets SAE 30R9 specs it will meet the pressure and temperature requirements that's needed for fuel lines on our trucks.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 AM
jeep1947
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rodney I get mine at autozone and forget that not all lines have the blue lining.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
LCA078
Tuned
Okay- quick update on this Sunday morning. Called around (Napa, Autozone, etc.) and no one stocks the pre-made lines. Tractor Supply said they carry premade hydraulic hoses so I stopped by to see if I can get a fitting match as a temp fix until the real ones come in and I have more time. I REALLY need the truck Monday morning so I have to get it running today. No dice at Tractor Supply and no one has the JIC-to-barb fittings so I can make my own. My dad (who really needs the truck) told me just to re-use the old crimp JIC fittings by cutting off the outside-crimp and use the inside barb. Hmmm- sounds like a great idea! He runs to Autozone to get the 1/4" fuel injection line (the Goodyear with the blue liner) and I use a die-grinder with a cut-off wheel to remove the crimps. Voila! Push on the new line and double clamp on each end! Works like a charm.

Only now I remove the protective sleeve around the other line and notice how cracked and ugly the other one is.... Damn. I don't feel safe letting my dad drive that truck across Texas tomorrow morning so I'll have to remove a lot of crap (A/C, PS, etc.) to get to that other fitting.

Anyway, the old JIC fittings with the outside crimp removed and double clamped works like a champ--just in case anyone else needs the idea.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
LCA, Rep sent, that's a good tip. Heck, I'd be willing to bet most people would just leave it like that.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
LCA078
Tuned
Thanks for the reps, RubberDuck! Just trying to pay back some advice for all the advice I've gotten from you guys. I mean really, if it wasn't for all the guys on this board, I would have sold that truck the first time I had trouble and had to take it in. Not because the truck isn't reliable, I just know the dealers would gouge me for simple stuff whereas you guys are FREE! With this board, there's not really anything I can't fix. I really appreciate it.

And to finish the update, I replaced both hi pressure lines as they were both bad! I guess when I shimmed the FPR (going from 50 to 78psi), these old lines just couldn't hold it. It only took about another 45 mins to do the line behind the a/c. Just removed the 4 mounting bolts that hold the a/c, PS, and air pump to the block and pivoted it away. Actually, my dad pivoted it away while I reached with a 9/16 and removed the old one. After about 10 mins with the die grinder, I just put it back in. A lot easier than I thought it would be.

Some thoughts on these lines: These lines are old and when they break, it could be pretty ugly. I recommend that when anyone is changing the small fuel lines on the fuel pump and filter housing, just go ahead and replace these. Might take only another couple hours at most but oh the feeling knowing that I have all new fuel hoses now!

The only tools I needed where: 9/16" open-end wrench (for the lines) a 1/2" socket with ~3" extension (for the mounting bracket), a die grinder/dremel with a cut-off wheel, and two pieces of 1/4" fuel injection line (one 11" and one 14"),and 8 small hose clamps. The 14" one goes behind the a/c bracket. Oh, almost forget- and a screwdriver for the hose clamps! It was actually a pretty easy job- well worth the piece of mind!

And finally, overall- no leaks anywhere! That's a first for my truck!!!

PS- I also took out the FPR shim-Pop doesn't need to be smoking anyone tomorrow

Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reps sent as well. Nice fix.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also reps sent to you. very good post.