1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Water Methanol vs a intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
iowastroker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Methanol vs a intercooler

Ok which one would you go with if you haul a lot with your truck water methanol or a intercooler.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
intercooler is a no maintanence mod, the water-meth you have to keep bottles filled. personally if money allows i would do both.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 PM
CkBed
New User
I'd go with the IC, its always working

Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
iowastroker
Junior User
Thats what i thought. I know you guys on here have to be getting sick of me posting all these stupid post and not be able to give good info but this my first 7.3 and love it. I want to learn has much as i can. so if i sound stupid at some time im sorry i starting out and you have to start some place right.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
I would love to try out water injection for hauling.. but it's pricey.. 6.0 IC is much cheaper

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

IC! Water/Meth later for towing or playing but you also have to remember that in the winter you run into freezing problems if your in that climate.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I agree with the above posters. I believe that water/alky should compliment the intercooler during towing applications. The amount of fuild you'd go through steam rollin down the interstate would be costly.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by iowastroker
Thats what i thought. I know you guys on here have to be getting sick of me posting all these stupid post and not be able to give good info but this my first 7.3 and love it. I want to learn has much as i can. so if i sound stupid at some time im sorry i starting out and you have to start some place right.
Not getting tired of questions here. That is why we are all here, to learn from each other.

I have a 6.0 cooler and love it. I tow 15,000 lbs in the mountains of TN/NC and even with stage II injectors it is a very manageable setup. It tows absolutely excellent.
I would go cooler first and then if you feel you need more cooling get the meth. The meth needs too much maintenance and runs out on long hauls. I would user the meth just as a supporter to the cooler.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 AM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Originally Posted by iowastroker
they won't kick ya out. i been around here for almost 2.5 yrs and 2,000 posts and i'm still in the same boat with ya

Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I would only run water or methanol injection if your making big horsies.
Water injection is more of a drag or a pull truck mod to me.
I'd do propane before i did water. But propane is iffy considering if its not set up right, you might screw stuff up big time.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Talyn
I would only run water or methanol injection if your making big horsies.
Water injection is more of a drag or a pull truck mod to me.
I'd do propane before i did water. But propane is iffy considering if its not set up right, you might screw stuff up big time.
I would run water/meth before PP. Even just water alone is a good deal for cooling. meth is just a little extra HP.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i was looking at a bottle of heet a while back and on the back of the bottle it said DO NOT USE WITH DIESELS. heet is nothing more than methanol. why is it good to run methanol injection, but not good to mix a few ounces of methanol in the fuel tank? also, i was reading my diesel tech book the other day and it said that diesels can run on 40% of anything you want to mix in with it except water and not experience any problems. gasoline, kerosene, oil, etc. the reason im asking is because ive got a lot of methanol im needing to use up and id like to mix a little bit in with each fill up. as long as it wont hurt anything.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
iowastroker
Junior User
Well thanks for all the advise. ok so where the best place to get all the stuff to put the IC in by yourself

Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by phillips91
i was looking at a bottle of heet a while back and on the back of the bottle it said DO NOT USE WITH DIESELS. heet is nothing more than methanol. why is it good to run methanol injection, but not good to mix a few ounces of methanol in the fuel tank? also, i was reading my diesel tech book the other day and it said that diesels can run on 40% of anything you want to mix in with it except water and not experience any problems. gasoline, kerosene, oil, etc. the reason im asking is because ive got a lot of methanol im needing to use up and id like to mix a little bit in with each fill up. as long as it wont hurt anything.
Methanol has a low vapor temp. LIke around 140-150 degree's. If you put Methanol in with your fuel it will vaporize in the fuel system. Possibly in the injector nozzle and hot vapors in an enclosed space make things go boom. It wouldn't be a big boom but it could be enough to blow your nozzle apart.

Methanol being injected with air still have a chance to begin burning before the piston is in the correct position so it still a hazard but not as great.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so it probably wouldnt be a good idea to mix in the methanol lol. i was only thinking about adding half a gallon or so per 40 gallons of diesel. ive got 220 gallons of methanol i need to use up, but its not worth blowing up a set of injectors for.......unless of course that would be a good way to convince the wife i NEED a set of stage 1's lol.

Quick Reply: Water Methanol vs a intercooler