Sponsored by: Moser

Help with my Mallory HyFire VI-AL.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:59 PM
hpproron
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my Mallory HyFire VI-AL.....

Howdy all! I'll try to keep this short and simple, if I can.

I would like to wire-in my Mallory HyFire VI-AL and Coil (Promaster E-Series, P/N30440) into my 79 F-250. I currently have a 'basically' stock 460 with C-6 tranny. Very soon I will have a NEW Holley 750, Weiand 8012, shorty headers and clearflow exhaust to Flowmasters. (Tax time is here again!!!!)

This unit was previously installed on my old 75 Dodge W300 with a VERY Modified Hi-Perf. 440 in it and the ignition system was flawless!

Yes, I do have the installation guide and I have probably reviewed the Ford Dura-Spark II installation procedure at least a dozen times. Somehow, I'm still coming up confused as to how the specific wiring will be completed. Most of it is very easy to understand and will be simple to wire in. But where the HyFire wires tie into the stock coil wires, the diagram is not very clear.
I'm really not sure, but if I'm not mistaken, I will ultimately bypass the entire Dura-Spark system....I think.

Does anyone out there have a direct experience with this installation??? Do you have some photos of your install????? I know I can do this installation, but i just want to be extra, extra sure before I wire it in. I'd hate to fry my Mallory because I was a little confused on two wires!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I cannot post any pictures of my Mallory system on this post, but I imagine you can picture what it looks like.

Please respond here or I can foward my e-mail addy to you if you have any detailed information!

Thanks again!

Ron Wilson in Canyon Lake, TX

Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 PM
kingford72
Senior User
if you use the white wire that connects into the -coil terminal you won't be bypassing the dura spark system you can trigger the ignition two ways one like this and the other is with the magnetic pickup wires green and purple this way you will then be bypassing the duraspark box I would use the mag. pickup wires green and purple to trigger so u can bypass the dura spark and keep everything rolled up neet so if there is a problem u can switch back to get it to work thats how I hand mine hooked up for probably 10 years and never had a problem with the mallory box.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
hpproron
New User
Thanks KingFord! I'll try to hook up the magnetic pick-up (purple/green).

R

Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 AM
hpproron
New User
Question Mallory Update

Just a follow-up....Once again I peeked at the instruction guide and it IS suggesting that the magnetic pick-up (purple/green) should not be used with the Dura Spark System

They suggest using the white and red wires to be connected to the existing coil pos/neg wires (therefore tying into the ignition switch and neutral) and the orange/black wires going to my Mallory Coil.

Uggggg....for some reason I'm not diggin' on this idea...but now that leads me to the question...what 'type' of distributor is the standard Motorcraft unit??? Brain-lock here. Does it not work with magnetic pick-up??? Do I have to buy another distributor to match it up???? Uggggg...again!

Anyhow, I sent their tech department all of my questions and I should hear something back next week I suppose.

Again, if anyone has some pictures of their setup, I'd sure like to see them!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Ron

Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
firstonraceday
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The distributor used in the Duraspark ignition system does have a magnetic pickup. Can't help with the wiring however as I am running the stock Duraspark system in my 77.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:13 PM
kingford72
Senior User
I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it says you should use the white wire with the duraspark they give you a diagram with it that way but you can do it either way, you will always be going through the ignition switch because you still have to hook up the red wire to the original coil positive and im assuming you mean the neutral saftey switch, which is on a different circuit and has nothing to do with your mallory wiring. the ford dist. is a magnetic pick up, all electronic dist. are, look on your dist. and find the three wires coming out of your dist. one will be orange with a stripe, one will be purple with a stripe, and one will be black this is a ground for the duraspark box and is not needed with your mallory, I got a connector at a junk yard and spliced the wires together so I could use the factory conector, now look on page three of your manual for the mallory see the chart for common colors of magnetic pick up wires you can see there is the ford colors orange and purple just hook these two wires up to the green and purple (orange ford wire to purple mallory wire and purple ford wire to green mallory wire) instead of the white wire to the coil-leave this wire blank and tape it off. The only difference between these two ways to hook up the ignition that I have found is if you have a stock in dash tach that you want to use you have to use the white wire the in dash tach will not work if you use the mag pick, up our trucks didnt have a tach in them so you can hook up either way, mallory doesn't know what your putting there ignition on so they put the easiest way to hook it up in the instructions if they sold 100 of these 90 of them went on a car with a in dash tach so to keep from having 90 phone calls wondering why they can't get there tachs to work they give a diagram using the white wire. I can't give you a picture of mine because every thing is run in loom and you wouldn't be able to see anything anyhow

Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
hpproron
New User
Got it!

Thanks King! I get it!

You know what Mallory's response was today....(I got the e-mail when I got home)...

"Please contact our tech department at xxx-yyy-zzzzz!"
So, all in all, I have to call their techs! Too funny!

I'll plan on wiring it the way you explained. I actually did confirm what 'type' of dist. I had shortly after I sent my previous message. I read up on it in one of my Ford engine rebuild manuals.

I totally appreciate the advice! I will probably wire it up just as soon as it gets back from the transmission shop next week. Gotta deal with that blown third gear first, then I can trick out my ignition! Then....LOL! Then comes the carb, manifold, headers and exhaust! That's about all I'm gonna do to it for now.

Hope to hear more from ya'll soon! Thanks again!!!!

R

PS...I got a few more pics of my truck today so I will try to post them on my picture page asap. I got some nice photos! Hope you will enjoy seeing them! Check my profile pics in a couple days!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
kingford72
Senior User
no problem if you have any problems post them on this thread so I get the email and I can help you out. Every one of my vehicles in my sig. has a mallory, or msd, or a crane ignition hooked up to them and I forgot to list my 92 mustang. I swear there must be 1 company that makes all these things and distributes them around because all of them hook up the same way.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
hpproron
New User
Thumbs up Got it!

10-4 on the page 3 info! I DO have that info.

The truck is going into the tranny shop on Saturday for new C6 with h/d bands, clutches and TransGo shift kit.

Soon there after I'll slap the new Holley 750, re-wire my Mallory and that's about it for the minute. Manifold, headers and exhaust will have to wait a couple months.

Thanks again for the info! I'll keep you posted as to the updates!

Rj

Old 02-07-2009, 04:53 PM
hpproron
New User
Smile Work in progress!

Well, I limped the ole' girl to the tranny shop today! (Second gear all the way...25 miles from home to shop, doing about 45-50 mph on the road shoulder!!! LOL!)

It should be done by Wednesday so I can bring it on home. The new Holley 750 has been ordered and paid in full....should be here by Friday.....I hope, I hope, I hope!

If I can squeak out an extra 250 bucks...I might swing by the exhaust shop on Wednesday....maybe. I hope, I hope, I hope!!!! C'mon Flowmasters!

But all in all, I should possibly be able to start the Mallory wiring by this next weekend. If not, at least the Duraspark is working well enough for now!

I'll keep ya'll posted. Sorry, no new pics yet. I have them, but I've been too busy to scan them and put them on my photo album.

Cheers!

R

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
kingford72
Senior User
Ill keep a watch out if you have any problems post on this thread so I get the email, I saw you posted so I checked in I had my 78 for 16 years now Its gone through so many transformations When I first Bought it it had 70k on it and at 100k auto trans when out put a junk yard trans in and that lasted 10k miles next one I took the trans to the shop and they rebuilt that lasted up till this point but when this one goes out theres a 4sp 203/205 doubler waiting to go in. I had holleys and edel. perf carbs on it and recently did a holley projection on it runs real smooth but wish I would have done a stock mustang fuel inj. on it using 351w parts on the 351m put didn't want to put that much time into it I think I have that much time on the holley inj. I just did a full stainless steel exhaust single 3" with a 40 series flowmaster, It sounds great!!! Of all the trucks I put ignitions on the 70's seems they make the most difference on the later Tfi-4 ignition systems I never noticed much of a improvement there pretty good from factory.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 AM
hpproron
New User
Update

Thanks again King!

I'll keep you posted here on this thread. I stopped by the tranny shop today and it was up on the rack, and my C6 was in about 5000 pieces all over his work bench. He said he will use the Borg Warner HD bands and clutches, so I am confident in that! We also looked at where and how to re-route the tranny cooling lines away from my exhaust a little better, plus I'll be wrapping the exhaust collector right there to minimize heat near the starter and those transmission lines. This should help with longevity!

We are gonna go ahead and toss the stocker torque converter and put an 1800 stall Hughes or TCI in there to get the most punch out of my 460's low to mid super torque band. This should work well with the Holley and Flowmaster.

My Weiand manifold and the shorty headers will have to wait for a while.... but not TOO long!

Anyhow...maybe Thursday. That's cool. I have patience when it comes to doing a job right!

R

PS...I'm really going to try and tackle that Mallory this weekend too! That might give it a bit more bite!

Last edited by hpproron; 02-10-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: forgot info...
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
hpproron
New User
Update #2

OK, let's just face some facts here fellas!....

I'm being downright LAZY and I still have NOT put the Mallory in! I'll get there....someday soon....I promise I promise!

BUT....

I DID get the transmission done as previously stated and OMG!!!!! I have never had this much satisfaction and joy from a rebuild job! Heck, I've never felt a C6 tranny act this good.
The 2000 stall converter took, oh, about 2 hours to get used too, and now I don't know how I ever lived without it! And talk about that Transgo Kit! Man-O-Man! I am impressed!

The 3" exhaust work and Flowmaster was done on Thursday. It sounds GREAT! (And believe it or not, it's modestly quiet if I stay out of the throttle....but when I hammer it, it's LOUD!!!)

Today's project will be oil change and plugs. Maybe check the timing and TOTAL timing.

Yesterday I put the new 750 Holley on there and I still have a little tuning to do to get it perfect.
What the heck, I might even drill my Mallory components into the engine compartment today too. Not sure if I'll get it wired today though.

Little by little and dollar by dollar it's really coming together! Sad thing is though, I've got a LOOOOOONG way to go to get 'er to my desired level of 'perfection'!

R

Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 AM
hpproron
New User
Update #3 Near the end of March!

Not too much new news to report....I STILL have not put the Mallory on there....but I will. I know I will....sometime....Soon!...Really....I will~!

LOL!

Truck is still running pretty darn strong in the motor and tranny dept. The "Re-manufactured by Holley, at Holley" Holley 750 has been giving me a bit more trouble than my previous 3 other "New" ones ever did....but on the same hand, I'm still pulling up nasty rust from both of the fuel tanks and that can only aggravate a Holley rather than make it HAPPY!
I've been changing the fuel filter once or twice a week and today I replaced the fuel pump AND installed a switched electrical pump as a back-up.
At least I'm continuing to learn more and more and strengthen my rebuilding skills. It's been a real pain in the shorts when the truck has stalled-out on me on the the road to work or home several times over the past couple weeks, (having to leave it out there one night)!
But without too much protest, I really do enjoy wrenchin' on it on the weekends!

I KNOW. I KNOW! I really need to pull those fuel tanks, have them cleaned/treated and get the source of the problem solved first!!!!

Then I can tackle the next problem...then the next....and then the next....and so on....

Once I purchase my Weiand 8012 Manifold and the Shorty Headers, I will then gasket-match port my heads, get the valve job done and install some fresh springs and rockers. (Nothing too radical here....just FRESH and FLOWING!!!)

And just as well, for hours today I found myself guilty of 'window shopping' the web for new camshafts, lifters, springs....heck, maybe even new valves and roller tip rockers....and I can do the FULL head porting now and get new hot rod valve covers....and then I can do this...and just after this I'll do a little more of that...Oh, you get my point! It just goes on and on and on!
I am starting to feel the guilty conscience of "MORE POWER" as when I had my '75 Dodge truck and went MOPAR crazy for 4 years trying to make it stronger, faster, louder, meaner!!! And all that got me was a 'BLOWED-UP' motor, yet one more time. (Yes, that truck is gone now...but I still have not given up my addiction to that super-crazy Big Block 440 . It still sits there waiting patiently in a shop near Houston...just ready for me to come back and spend another gob of cash on it!!!! Rascally ole' Chrysler!)

LOL! Yeah Right! Like I have the extra pesos laying around for all the wish-list stuff that I dreamed up today! Too funny! I really crack myself up!

It's going to be a while for all that stuff though...I should spend my next few bucks on the front coil springs, some new shocks and linkage bushings. The front end is getting pretty bouncy and loose. Safety first, right!

OK, I've gibber-jabbered enough...I'm trying not to get too far off of the topic here. I started this whole thing regarding my Mallory Ignition.
So, with the good counsel I have received thus far, I better get the job done, take lot's of pictures of the process and post it all on here so some day I'll be able to help someone else who is struggling with a similar problem.

Maybe then I'll be the only fella on the net who has formally posted a video of "Mallory Hy-Fire VI-AL; Installation on Big Block 460 Fords."
Yeah, go ahead, just google it...see what ya get! Not Much!!! LOL!

Cheers to you all! I hope to hear back from some of you sometime soon. Y'all gotta keep me motivated, on task and hopefully as far from going totally insane as possible!

Ron W.
New Braunfels/Canyon Lake, TX