1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

these trucks are horrible

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
redford
Received 1,631 Likes on 955 Posts
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70
heck, my cousins 6.blow let go of a head gasket while on the streets, totally stock and at under 30K miles, this is an 06, he wasn't even towing, and of the 4 6.blows in my circle, all have been back to the dealer for turbo and head gasket problems, one of the 03s has not been back to the dealer yet, it seems that all years have problems...
Yet, I bet they were all fixed under warranty.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
jermort
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalton1000
i just wanted to know if anyone felt the same. i have a f-250 cc 6.0 and until now had no problems. this morning the truck was under powered stalled twice and was turbo farting alot. i feared this happening because of all the bad press on the 6.0 and now its my turn. the truck is stock except for exhaust 24 k miles and maintained well. everyone one this site says the bad rep comes from people only talking about the problem trucks and the ones with no problems are not heard from, i think that is totaly wrong. EVERYONE i know with a 6.0 has had some type of problem with them and that should unexceptable. and it does not happen to all brand, ford is much worse. my truck was a 46k truck and it is not dependable, none of them are unless you do egr delete ,head studs, lubricant for fuel , change oil MORE OFTEN than ford recommends, change fuel filters MORE OFTEN than ford recommends, constantly getting new flashes from dealership, coolant filters (are you kidding me?!?). dodge and chevy trucks are a much better bet in my opinion and statistically, if you dont agree go to some news web sites and search ford and there warranty finance issues, no other major auto company had same issues and continued to produce sub par vehicles. ford may have a better overall vehicle than dodge and chevy but if you cant drive it what good is it.
Trade it for that Chevy you always wanted and get over it!

Only vehical that never breaks is one that's never used.

jer

Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Green_Monster
Elder User
Ok I gotta chime in, Dalton just sell it if you don't like it I have an 03 6.0 diesel pushing 165,000. I drive 35,000+ a year and do want reliability and so far I have got it from my SD. I do have it up for sale and I am looking at all three Major truck makers. The reason I have not pulled the trigger is that as much as my f350 rides like a buck board and eats up front end parts (ball joints & brakes) to get a Dodge or Chevy it would need to be all that my truck is when it comes to working. Yes a Dodge diesel gets better MPG's but the little things that break will drive you nuts and the Chevys ( my wife has one 2001 1500 4x4 and it has been great) are great for pulling and ride like a dream but the torsion front ends have there drawbacks for plowing.

Bottom line is a SD is a good truck and compared to others line by line it will win a lot of categories it may lose some but when it comes to just getting a truck that can take a beating a SD is the one or any ford truck for that matter my 70 F250 is still going strong with 225k on it.

Buy what you want drive what you like. If you get a lemon get rid of it, if you talked to the ford dealer like you talk to us then I can see why he wouldn't help you. I had a problem with a dealer & never went back and I love my currrent dealer so much if I buy a ford I wouldn't by it from anyone else it all possible.

Last edited by Green_Monster; 01-19-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling stinks
Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang6147
It sounds like you need a wastegate on the turbo,
If it had a wastegate.....or even could use that kind of device at all. The 6.0 is a VGT, very different from one that uses a wastegate.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Dalton1000, ALL MOTOR VEHICLES have the potential for problems whether major or minor. They are MECHANICAL devices and can break. NOTHING and no one is perfect. That is a fact of life. As for ABC News or any of the others for that matter, they do not report the news, they present their poinion under the guise of news. They care about ratings IMHO. If you are this unhappy after having one problem you will probably not find satisfaction with any brand. IMHO. Dan.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 113 Likes on 67 Posts
let me see now, 11out of 11 trucks he knows of are junk and yet...... he buys one. i guess he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. that said my 05 gets it semi annual dealer visit, generally done same day. mostly just clogged egr's.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Natural selection at work here. He'll weed himself out of the gene pool eventually.

Personally, I'll take a truck with the best chassis/body around and risk an engine problem that will be fixed under warranty then rarely recur than one on which the body is going to rot away in under 10 years (Dodge) or one with the worst idea for front suspension on a heavy duty truck, IFS (GM).

Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
I'd have to agree with the OP. I've bought 5 6.0's for work. One had a terrible problem after a squirrel chewed through some wires, and another fell apart after it hydroplaned, caught the corner of a guardrail and rolled 3 times (driver and passenger walked away). The other 3 haven't caused any problems yet, but they've only got an average of 110k on them
Keep us up to date on those POS that you have. Did you get an answer on how to fix the wiring here at FTE or did you simply give up and bitch about your problems. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While we're all opinionating here: can't go wrong with a Super Duty gasser. Here's what I've gathered over the course of my membership to FTE

Diesel guys: love or hate their trucks, depending on whether it runs or not respectively

Gasser guys: Still happy even when ours is broken

Diesel Chicks: Give your man his truck back

Gasser Chicks: Unless your planning to make that 8 ft bed, get out!

Chevy and Dodge people: Sheltered, ignorant, stupid, or a combo of both.

Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan people: Dumb du dumb dumb dummmmmmb!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Ever notice how those that come on here to say how crappy Fords are usually have only a couple of posts? Seems like a troll to me. Come in...complain and see if they get a rise out of the forum members.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,307 Likes on 2,300 Posts
well, i have to agree with the OP. my 02 superduty just blew a headlight bulb at 151,000 miles.

i mean really, what is up with that??
the quality of ford trucks has definitely gone down hill.

both my 79 and my 88 still have the original headlights in them!!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4L to Freedom
While we're all opinionating here: can't go wrong with a Super Duty gasser. Here's what I've gathered over the course of my membership to FTE

Diesel guys: love or hate their trucks, depending on whether it runs or not respectively

Gasser guys: Still happy even when ours is broken

Diesel Chicks: Give your man his truck back

Gasser Chicks: Unless your planning to make that 8 ft bed, get out!

Chevy and Dodge people: Sheltered, ignorant, stupid, or a combo of both.

Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan people: Dumb du dumb dumb dummmmmmb!
On this day, inauguration day, I NEEDED this laugh!!!!!!

Stewart

Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM
350steve
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport
well, i have to agree with the OP. my 02 superduty just blew a headlight bulb at 151,000 miles.

i mean really, what is up with that??
the quality of ford trucks has definitely gone down hill.

both my 79 and my 88 still have the original headlights in them!!
oh yeah...the 95 still has the original air in the spare tire still..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 350steve
oh yeah...the 95 still has the original air in the spare tire still..
A 14 year old spare is UNSAFE! DO NOT USE IT! Tire Safety

Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shorebird
A 14 year old spare is UNSAFE! DO NOT USE IT! Tire Safety
It's a ford, why on earth would he use it?

Quick Reply: these trucks are horrible