Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

HELP! Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
1985Ford Gal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! Won't Start

I have a 1985 Ford 250 Diesel Truck, just love it I brought it up from the Coast to the Okanogan and it is much colder here.
It sat for 5 weeks and my Mom’s BF wanted it moved and I did not want to start it as it had not been plugged in, but I did what I was told to try start it cold…I knew better.
Now it won’t start at all, it wants to but just does not have enough life.
I even tried Fire Starter (I know that is not great but I thought after being plugged in for a day I thought it would work)
I think it may have summer diesel in it since we can from warmer weather and I think it is flooded.
So I need to know how to bleed the injectors and I will also add the additive to change it to winter diesel and I think it should start after that as it has warmed up here now.
I have tried bleeding the fuel from the fuel filter under the hood but nothing!!!!
Please help as I would like to fix is asap
Thank you so much!!!!
From the gal that should have known better…lol

Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Wookie35
Junior User
I am guessing that Okonagan is WAY up north? Your fuel probably gelled. That combined with not being plugged in means you have some work cut out for you before you are running again. I am sure the big brain guys will chime in any minute and tell you everything that you need to do. Welcome and good luck!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what temp is it there are ur batterys good

Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Okanogan is in the southern/central BC interior....

Welcome to FTE, 1985Ford Gal.

First, I have to warn you of a few things.

Do not crank the engine for more than 20 seconds, then a minimum of 2 minutes of cool off time is needed. The starter on these engines are not cheap.

Starting fluid can and often does cause internal damage. If you insist on using it, the glow plugs must be disabled or a backfire up through the intake could happen. Cracked piston rings, or other larger damaged internal parts can also happen. If a tiny little puff doesn't work, more is not safe.

My standard line on starting fluid for diesels is, use very sparingly and only in a life and death situation. I have never needed to use it and will not have it within 50 meters of my truck.

The glow plugs should come on for 10 seconds for a cold start, but only some of the cylinders are trying to start, you may have some that are dead.

OK,

First thing to do is put the batteries on charge (overnight).

Plug the block heater in as well (minimum of 3 hours).

Those two steps alone could be enough. You can try a 3-5 second crank to see if it fires. If it doesn't, stop cranking and precceed as follows...(but leave it on charge and plugged in)

I have a hunch you might have water in your water separator that froze and stopped fuel from flowing. My 86' did that to me once a few winters ago. If you have access to a heat gun or a big hair drier, use that to heat up the water separator and fuel filter. Heat the separator and filter until they are warm to the touch.

When you feel you are ready to attempt a startup, take the air filter lid off and point the heat gun down the intake of the engine. If possible, a helper would make things easier.

If that doens't work there are other things we can try, but see if this works first. If it started in warmer climate it should start here too. You jsut need to get the critical parts warm enough.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have the ability to get the truck into an indoor garage, you can put it in and put a heater under the truck and let it warm up over night.

The reason you can't bleed the fuel filter is actually a good one, it means that your fuel system isn't leaking anywhere past your filter. Think of it like putting your finger on the end of a straw and being able to pick up a liquid.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
1985Ford Gal
New User
Thank you all for all of your advice, It is a great Help!!!!

Joe F350 - Yes that batteries are good, Thank you!!!!

Wookie35 - I too thought the fuel gelled though I was told now that we are at plus 1 it should be ok but at the time minus 15 I think it did that too!!! I was going to get the additive for the diesel though when I went to buy it they said it is warmer know and I shouldn’t need it now.

Dean88 - Thank you I never thought about it that way!!!! That is good news!!!!

David85 - I am doing what you said, I plugged in batteries and block heater I also purchased the Haynes Teckbook so I know where to find things.
I do have mechanical experience just not too good with diesels as this is my first one, great truck though! I paid only $800.00 for it and it is meticulous in side and it did the Coquihalla Highway at 90 km/h I was surprised!!! And only $40.00 in fuel, which is what I am shocked besides that it is colder here that is won’t start!!! It is a great truck!!!
I have never had any other issues with it and it does have new Glow Plugs!!!
Ok well we will see if she starts later I will let you all know!
Thanks!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
everybody loves these trucks just dont run it out of fuel

Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
85 Ford Gal,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

No fuel from the filter is pointing to gelled fuel, dead lift pump or water somewhere in the fuel system.

Since it ran OK on the trip there, probably gelled fuel or water.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
1985Ford Gal
New User
Hey Dave,
Would it be a good idea to replace the fuel finter underthe hood before I start it? And should I put some diesel in it rather than installing it dry?
Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
I would get it running before changing the filter, cuz its much easier getting it restarted on a warm motor, and yes its much better to fill it full of diesel than put it in dry, cuz it takes forever to get all of the air out of the system and get it fired up again.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
you should fill the flilter frist or u will have in the line witch = no start

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I would change the filter, and fill the new one with Diesel Kleen in the white bottle.

The Diesel Kleen will get rid of any wax in the IP if it can get there, the new filter will get rid of any wax there.

Also a good dose of Diesel Kleen in the tank you are running on, would be a good thing.

Hopefully if the fuel is gelled, only the filter is plugged.
If the lines are plugged, then getting it inside in some heat for several hours is going to be the only way you will get it thawed out.

If you do change the filter and it starts, keep the RPM's up a little for a while.
If it keeps on running, you will be good to go.
If it dies in a minute or two, then I would be looking for a place to get it warm so the wax can disolve in the fuel lines.

If you still have the stock water seperator, some heat on it and then drain it to see if there is water in there.
Caution, the stock water seperator is famous for not sealing after you drain it, which lets air in the fuel system.
So if you drain it, shove a bolt in the drain line after you drain the seperator.

Always fill the filter with something when you change it.
Fuel, Diesel Kleen, ATF are all good choices.
Cranking the starter long enough to fill the filter is hard on the starter and batteries.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
1985Ford Gal
New User
Thanks Guys, I will wait to change it, and thanks for all the info!!! I know where stuff is but it is so hard to figure out how to do it...lol Maybe it is a girl thing you have been very helpful.
Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1985Ford Gal
Thanks Guys, I will wait to change it, and thanks for all the info!!! I know where stuff is but it is so hard to figure out how to do it...lol Maybe it is a girl thing you have been very helpful.
Thanks

Aaah, these motors are quite scary the first few months of working on them, I'm sure you are gonna get the hang of figuring these motors out.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Well you may want to consider who is giving you advice,

I have more fun than most people though.

Quick Reply: HELP! Won't Start