1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

polished fender bolts, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by e william
Sam, I dont know if this will help your situation or not....but I purchased all of my bed hardware from Boltdepot.com
The strip bolts are not hidden, what I got were the SS-button head bolts for the bed and fenders...boltdepot might have something that would help solve any issues you have???
ps....I love the green!
Ed
thanks (on the green)
and thanks (on the boltdepot info)..

I am really torn here.. I want the flat polished faces, but am not really excited about the filing the holes open.. (estimate 10min *24 holes= 4 hours)..

Sam

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
thanks (on the green)

I am really torn here.. I want the flat polished faces, but am not really excited about the filing the holes open.. (estimate 10min *24 holes= 4 hours)..

Sam
If you go to Boltdepot, click on socket fasteners and scroll down to buttonheads and flatheads (countersunk). These are two options for your situation.

The flathead would work best if your fenders had an oversized hole or if it were chamfered on the side facing the bed. If you don't do this the angled back of the head could be accomodated by using SST finishing washers or chamfer the ID of regular SST washers.

Personally I would use the SST button head bolts. They are better looking than your flat head carrage bolts or the flat head socket bolts noted above. They have a smaller diameter and don't require any modifications to your bed or fenders. For me it's a "no brainer".

Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

thanks (on the green)

Sam

well, I gave in and ordered the button head from MF which came this week.
ick!... but, I had used a few stock bolts with the dimples when I put the fenders back on after paint.. a few left dimples in the paint around the holes.. (bummer)..

and it turns out, the button head bolts would NOT hide the dimples!!!.. SO, back to the polished flat face bolts with the carriage head base..

So, yesterday I went and found a decent file, and it wasn't as bad as expected.. 1.5 hours for 20 bolt holes. I painted the freshly cut edge of the holes (had to do this in two passes, else I would have had to remove the fenders altogether)..

man they look nice!.. (pictures later)..

Thanks for all the guidance..

sam

Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 AM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Sam, Glad you made some progress on your bed...mine's not as fancy as yours but here's a pic on how it came out....it's hard to see but it's black walnut w\ghost flames stained in.
Have a great one, Ed

Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by e william
Hey Sam, Glad you made some progress on your bed...mine's not as fancy as yours but here's a pic on how it came out....it's hard to see but it's black walnut w\ghost flames stained in.
Have a great one, Ed
very nice.. more fancy than mine!.. (I don't have flames!).. what did you use for strips? looks very good with the wood color..

Sam

Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
well, I gave in and ordered the button head from MF which came this week.
ick!... but, I had used a few stock bolts with the dimples when I put the fenders back on after paint.. a few left dimples in the paint around the holes.. (bummer)..

and it turns out, the button head bolts would NOT hide the dimples!!!.. SO, back to the polished flat face bolts with the carriage head base..

So, yesterday I went and found a decent file, and it wasn't as bad as expected.. 1.5 hours for 20 bolt holes. I painted the freshly cut edge of the holes (had to do this in two passes, else I would have had to remove the fenders altogether)..

man they look nice!.. (pictures later)..

Thanks for all the guidance..

sam
Good tools and proper technique wins the day!I estimated the time it would take to the extra long side expecting you might be inclined to stop to admire your work and toast it with a few adult beverages along the way.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Thanks AX.. that time was elapsed.. cause I had to stop for dinner and loow the first 14 holes to dry put in the new bolts, remove the old, file, paint, and dry.. so that is the filing time.. it was a lot easier than I expected, and none of the paint peeled around the holes... frosties next weekend when I get the running boards & tailgate back from re-paint (I hope!).. and I found the stain color for the wood.. now to get that done too... Sam

Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

hm.. edit no worky

Thanks AX.. that time was not elapsed.. cause I had to stop for dinner and allow the first 14 holes to dry, put in the new bolts, remove the old, file, paint, and dry.. so that was the filing time.. it was a lot easier than I expected, and none of the paint peeled around the holes...!

frosties next weekend when I get the running boards & tailgate back from re-paint (I hope!).. and I found the stain color for the wood.. now to get that done too...

Sam

Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam,
The bed strips are flat stainless steel that i rubbed with scotchbright in one direction, easier than polishing and hides any scratches that were too deep to buff out.
Ed