Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ATS Compressor Housing Installed + Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ATS Compressor Housing Installed + Pics

Well, I finally got it installed, and already had it out on a test run. My max boost is down 5 psi!! Is that normal??? I was hitting 27-28 with the stock wheel/housing but there was some surge between gears and if I let off the throttle quickly from WOT. There isn't a trace of surge, but my max boost is only 22-23!! Not too happy about that. Gotta do some more thinking here. My initial thought is to put the stock housing back on with the WW, at least until I get the injectors put in. Thoughts??

Also, I suddenly have some kind of corrosion under my hood. It's on the alternator, bracket, compressor, and turbo housing/outlet. Anyone ever seen that before??

Here is a link to the pics:

Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now comes the benefit of having Tony add a little more on the fuel to your maps. On my original install(before live tuning) I was at 23-25 also, then jody worked his magic and now I can hit 30 on my stock sticks. It never ends Joe. there is always one more link in the mod chain.

as far as the corrosion goes i think you may have a grounding problem. Your corroding metal is working like a sacrificial anode.

from WIKI

A sacrificial anode, or sacrificial rod, is a metallic anode used in cathodic protection where it is intended to be dissolved to protect other metallic components.

The more active metal corrodes first (hence the term "sacrificial") and generally must oxidize nearly completely before the less active metal will corrode, thus acting as a barrier against corrosion for the protected metal.

More scientifically, a sacrificial anode can be defined as a metal that is more easily oxidized than the protected metal. Electrons are stripped from the anode and conducted to the protected metal, which becomes the cathode. The cathode is protected from corroding, i.e., oxidizing, because reduction rather than oxidation takes place on its surface.

For example when zinc and iron are electrically connected in the presence of oxygen and water, the zinc will lose electrons and go into solution as zinc cations. Electrons released from the zinc atoms flow through metallic conduction to the iron where, on the surface, dissolved oxygen is reduced, by gaining the electrons released by the zinc, to hydroxide anions. Were the zinc not present, the same reduction of oxygen to hydroxide would occur on the iron surface. However in that case the electrons for reduction would be furnished by the iron, thus oxidizing the iron. Therefore, the zinc, when present,is "sacrificed" by being oxidized instead of the iron. The iron is "safe" until all of the zinc has corroded. As zinc is more costly than iron, this method of protecting iron, or steel, would not be cost effective were it not for secondary chemical reactions that form coatings on the iron surface, thus reducing the electrochemical reaction to a trickle and greatly prolonging the life of the zinc anode.

It is important to understand that for this mode of corrosion protection to function there must be simultaneously present an electron pathway between the anode and the metal to be protected (e.g.,a wire or direct contact) and an ion pathway between the anode and the metal to be protected (e.g., water or moist soil) to form a closed circuit; thus simply bolting a piece of active metal such as zinc to a less- active metal, such as mild steel, in air will not furnish any protection.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
theenforcer
Elder User
hey joe

nice lookin housing mate, not sure about the corosion though thats a weird one,
i run the WW with a stock housing and see 23psi not having the OBA yet once i have see the engine light come on which i think is around 24/25psi. i wonder if the lower boost you are seeing is due to the bigger air gap around your compressor fins with the ATS housing so it wouldnt be pressurising the intake as much because some can get past and also letting the surge air past the wheel without putting pressure on it.
when i changed my wheel the only difference i noticed was every second fin was smaller,
i think to do the same thing, it will let the surge air out easier and keep the stress on the wheel to a minimum, mine still makes a hell of a woooosh if i back off quick from WOT
(i try not to do that much). i think the ATS is the much better fix of the two but couldn't justify the freight they wanted to charge to get it out here.so i went the cheaper alternative.
maybe wait untill you put your new injectors in and see how she does, a bit more fuel should get it back up there.
(by the way im no expert so you and others can shoot me down if my thinking is totally wrong, i wont crack the chits)..... LOL
cheers
josh

Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I'm hoping it's just something I drove through during the chitty weather we had the last several weeks. I've been gone so much, I haven't even cracked my hood probably since I put the new turbo it!! It could've happened between Thanksgiving weekend and now, so who knows?!!? I sure hope it's not electrical, Brandon!

Thanks for the heads up on the boost though. I feel a little better about it now. When things slow down a little I'll give Tony a holler and see what he thinks.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Looks good, Joe!

I had the same corrosion type crap on mine before in EXACTLY the same spots! I dont notice it much anymore though. Either Ive gotten used to it or its not gotten any worse.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Weird. I'm going out to clean it up with some simple green and Easy Off for the spider. Need to get that nasty baked-on oil off!!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Congrats, Joe. Hope you get the boost resolved soon.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Thanks Pete. I didn't clean it yet -- I went for the Easy-Off, and it was gone. I was JUST at Wally World earlier, too.

Made some more margaritas instead. LOL....

Old 01-01-2009, 06:12 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Joe, I think its something that has sprayed on the engine. Look at your exhaust housing, i can't see it acting like an anode.

About the boost psi, when I installed my turbo I got less boost then with the stock turbo. Now that I have the injectors, I get more boost. You need fuel to help the turbo spool.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
That's what I was thinking too, Rick. I'll clean it up this weekend and see how it does. When I was swapping the housings, I noticed that stuff just wiped off, so no biggie. It just surprised me when I opened the hood. Another thing to clean up.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Don't clean it too good Joe. You are making my engine look bad.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to here you got the ATS housing on Joe, is there more whistle with it on there also??? or is that just with the WW ATS combo?? Hey Brandon, thats one heck of a writeup, wow.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
So what kind of boosht are you getting with the Stage IIs & TN hair dryer, Rick??

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Glad to here you got the ATS housing on Joe, is there more whistle with it on there also??? or is that just with the WW ATS combo?? Hey Brandon, thats one heck of a writeup, wow.
It's hard to explain, really. There's more when you first take off, and the high-pitch is there, but it's not like the WW, even with the stock housing. The WW has a helluva scream -- I'll bet it's SICK with the ATS over it!! I may stick it on this weekend just for fun.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by Izzy351
So what kind of boosht are you getting with the Stage IIs & TN hair dryer??
Right now I am getting 32#. I was told to crank down on the wastgate rod so I can get more boost. I will take the red hose off and plug it to see what I can get. I will do this tomorrow, I was going to do thid today but forgot. Joe, this thing is a beast, I will get the idleing right Monday. My truck sounds like the trucks litting at the tree, ready to race.

Quick Reply: ATS Compressor Housing Installed + Pics