early lockup e4od

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
signmaster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
early lockup e4od

i have a 92 f150 xlt that i recently purchased it has the e4od tranny ,it goes into lockup at about 35mph, any attempt to get it to kick out of lockup it goes all the way back to second, no matter how much throttle you give it it immediately goes from third to lockup, this problem was very noticeable while towing my 10,000 lb boat.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 AM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I noticed the same thing with my 91 f-250. The tranny would shift from 1st to second and right after the shift the torque converter clutch would lock up and it would fell like the motor was bogged down. The converter clutch is there to make a direct connection between the flywheel and the input shaft of the transmission, but I strongly disagree with the factory shift points and lock up strategy. For one the E4OD shifts into second way to soon and is annoying when traveling through a parking lot because it puts more wear on the internals. I just do not understand the engineering of the E4OD and maybe MARK KOVALSKY could help us out.

But as far as controlling converter lockup, here is what I did. If you look around your left fender near the fire wall you should see a harness which travels down the left frame rail. Look for a purple wire with a yellow tracer. This wire should be the ground circuit for the Converter Clutch lockup solenoid. If in doubt just follow the valve body harness from the right rear corner of the transmission to the harness, again your looking for a purple wire with a yellow tracer. What I did was put a standard toggle switch in the circuit which allows me to break the circuit and close it. I accessed the circuit at the left front wheel well. I then cut the P/Y wire and butt connected one end to a 16 gauge wire and then ran that through my fire wall (with a grommet of course) and to the switch I mounted on the dash. Then connect another wire to the other terminal of the TWO PRONGED switch, ran it through the fire wall and then connected it to the other end of the P/Y wire. It is not important which end runs to the switch first since all your really doing is disrupting the continuity of the circuit.

With the switch open the computer grounds the circuit but there is no connection because of the switch. If I want the converter to lock up I just flip the switch closed and the converter locks up (IF THE COMPUTER IS GROUNDING IT). So basically when the switch is closed it is just like the factory setup, but when the switch is open the converter clutch will not engage until you flip the switch closed again. What I usually do is leave the switch open until I get on the highway and then close it, to really use the converter clutch for what it was intended for FUEL MILEAGE.

Now also be aware that my pickup with the OBD I diagnostics I have few, if not any monitors which monitor circuits like the TCC circuit, therefore I have not encountered a check engine light. So be aware that doing this may set a light. But I do not think you will have a problem being that your truck is a 92.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 AM
magneto259
Senior User
That sounds like the exact same problem im having on my 97 f350. Is there any other way to fix this without doing the switch trick? Solenoid pack or something? Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,584 Likes on 1,061 Posts
The lockup speed is determined by the programming the PCM. To change the speed you need to change the software or use a manual switch.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
signmaster
New User
Thanks for the help im on my way to buy a switch right now, this ends 2 weeks of removing /replacing every sensor including injectors.

I cant believe in 1992 someone went to there ford dealer test drove this truck and said ok Ill take one?!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 PM
signmaster
New User
I just finished installing the switch its like a whole new truck absolutely frigen awesome this is how it should have been from the start, , and after a ten mile ride at speeds varying from 30 to 65 no lites , no codes thanks for the advice.