Sponsored by: Moser

my first ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 PM
polish pete
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first ford

hey guys whats going on, im pete and this will be my first ford. i generally hate fords because i think there crappy trucks and cars, but the old fords are the only ones i would trust, plus they look badass. ill be picking up a 79 f350 ranger xlt. maybe a camper special. it has an 8ft bed too. engine is a 400 paired with a 4speed, dont know which one. its got some rot but not bad for a ny truck and it only has 90,000 miles. i will also be the 3rd owner.

now my question is, whats a good tune up for this motor? i mean i know the basics but is there anything special you need to do or maybe change something sooner than later. all it really needs right now is a rebuild on the carb and what i would suggest a full tune up. but thats all it needs. cosmetically the trucks not in that great of shape but nothing a little work cant fix. now for some pics. i only have 2 atm but will have more this weekend.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
fastfarmer
Elder User
Young man, you picked a poor place to bad mouth Fords.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to FTE!

that's not a camper special. a camper special for 1978 and 1979 would be an F350 regular cab and would have a 140" wb.

to kinda "wake up" that 400 get a 4 bbl carb and intake, replace the exhaust, and get some headers. that will be a start.

not a good way to start off your reputation say Fords are crappy, but everyone is different. remember this is a total Ford site.

take off that camper and it will look pretty good, otherwise not a bad truck.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM
2classics
Elder User
nice score on a 350 4x4. One of the toughest ever built. Sounds like you know what needs to be done for a tune up.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
polish pete
Junior User
ok let me rephrase, im no trying to bad mouth ford. i mean not at least the old ones. all i hear from any ford made in like the 90's and up have had problems so that discourages me. but these old fords are like rocks and wont die too easy.

and thank you dr. dirt, quite helpful, for now ill do the basic tuneup rebuild the carb and make a less restrictive exhaust. i needed something for the winter, and i know the old fords were tough trucks. where are the rot problems on this truck, because i heard that inside the cab by those little windows. i really like this truck btw, maybe it will change my mind on at least the older fords.

and dont worry, i want to take that cap off ive never liked the look of them. what color do you guys think i should paint it, im thinking that maroon color it has now without the 2 tone.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
m78
More Turbo
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fastfarmer
Young man, you picked a poor place to bad mouth Fords.
I agree with that

"that's not a camper special. a camper special for 1978 and 1979 would be an F350 regular cab and would have a 140" wb."

Dr.Dirt What are you trying to say here ? I have a F250 supercab/camper special with 155" wheel base

Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
polish pete
Junior User
Originally Posted by UTfball68
First off...what brand vehicle hasn't had their share of problems. Secondly welcome to the site. Next...dollar for dollar a cam will do more for an engine than anything else. On top of that, as Dirt said, a good 600-670 cfm 4bbl carb/intake combo, headers and exhaust. Next, the worst rust problem areas for these rigs are floor pan, cab corners and rear fender wells.

PS...all Fords rock, just some more than others. Nuff said.
well it just seems like these new fords are in the shop more than on the road, but what i find interesting is that chevys had that problem back then. and cab corners on the floor or on the roof? i know of the rear fender wells.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
80F100man
Elder User
Don't you know not to come on a FORD Forum and 1st thing Bad-mouth FORDS .....next, you may not now get near as much help as you would like at all.....the words are already in Black type, can't erase them now!! .... but, just because I believe everyone has their faults, I'm sure U will wisen up, welcome to FTE from 'across the waves' mate

Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
polish pete
Junior User
Originally Posted by 80F100man
Don't you know not to come on a FORD Forum and 1st thing Bad-mouth FORDS .....next, you may not now get near as much help as you would like at all.....the words are already in Black type, can't erase them now!! .... but, just because I believe everyone has their faults, I'm sure U will wisen up, welcome to FTE from 'across the waves' mate
ok guys im sorry, i dont mean to bad mouth fords, but around here on long island there are alot of people that own fords that are very cocky and i dont like them, maybe thats why i thought fords were crappy. but i have a ford and i like it, along with all the trucks i see on here, i like alot too. but one thing you cant convince me of is that powerstrokes suck. i hate them thats final. and thanks guys for not ripping me apart, i respect these forums alot more now because of that. all other car boards there are so many dicks you get nowhere.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 PM
fastfarmer
Elder User
Here you are on a Ford truck forum even thou you "hate" Fords and you "hate" Powerstrokes.
Please leave the hate behind. I chose to own Fords because I like and prefer them, not because I "hate" Chevys or Dodges.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Just wanted to say welcome to the site, and nice score on the truck. I agree with Dr. Dirt, I think if you take off the camper shell it will look a lot better. But there have been times I wish I had one, like hauling in the rain. Plus you don't have to tie stuff down when you have a shell. Maybe take it off but hold onto it in case you need it.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 PM
polish pete
Junior User
Originally Posted by fastfarmer
Here you are on a Ford truck forum even thou you "hate" Fords and you "hate" Powerstrokes.
Please leave the hate behind. I chose to own Fords because I like and prefer them, not because I "hate" Chevys or Dodges.
no no your misunderstanding, i hate ford drivers, they seem to give a bad name to fords, and the powerstroke engine is not made my ford. it is a navistar engine and i think it sucks. just because i hate the powerstroke does not mean i hate the ford truck. and fmc400, i agree that it will better with the camper off, but i will keep it, sounds like i might need it in the future for any reason.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 PM
polish pete
Junior User
and to add, who cares whether or not i dislike fords or powerstrokes, that is just my opinion, just the same as if you dislike imports or chevys. who cares were all here for one reason and thats to find other ford truck owners and share our knowledge with others. it shouldnt matter whether or not i hate or love the ford truck. im here to learn about this truck and to teach others too if i can. i wouldnt be buying this truck if i really hated fords imo. thank you for the few that actually gave me some advice or normal comments and not just the oh you hate ford but your on a ford site.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
polish pete
Junior User
oh and to add, i love imports and i own a nissan 350z, probably makes you guys hate me more huh? and you cant edit posts? thats weird.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 AM
brentleedragon
Elder User
Originally Posted by UTfball68
Well to be honest...how many of us do you see going to other enthusiast sites and the first thing we post is "I hate X." So yeah it was a stupid thing to do. So yeah, we're gonna care. So get your attitude straight learn your place and ropes for now, and I'm sure most guys will let it die, and forget about it in no time. You're not the only one to have a turbulent first post and you won't be the last. So if you have any more questions, start a new thread and ask them...but I would recommend not bashing Ford again on a Ford site. And you can edit your posts, you just have to have 25 posts first, and do it within an hour of posting. I suggest you settle down, or you're gonna get some folks not wanting to help you on the new project that you have that you've admitted that you need to learn about. So shut your mouth, stop the snide remarks, read, learn and be a productive member.

BEN ahahah this is what i thought when I got done reading your post

Quick Reply: my first ford