Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

castor or camber way off

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
bomberboat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
castor or camber way off

i just got a 87 f150 4x4 a week or so ago. has some issues. but today i went to the store i backed into a parking spot a ways from store . as i came out i noticed that looking head on at the truck that the castor or camber is way off. top of the tires point towards the engine toe looks ok. the castor ,cambor that far out of adjustment or is the most likley sagging springs? god only knows how many miles are on it. it's on it's second engine. i have not checked pit any bushings yet in the front end. i bet that the inside top of the tire is a good 2 " narrower than the botton of the tire.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
bomberboat
Senior User
up date with pic's

some pic's i took today.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:49 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They do that when you back them into a parking spot. Stand in front and have someone pull forward a couple feet. They go back straight.... scary, huh?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
If it does as bashby describes, scary yes, fix that.
But I suspect that you have the same problem as every other owner of a TTB truck.
One, is it a problem? Some "negative camber" (thats what you have) is good, it helps handling. If the tires are wearing evenly your good, not worth the work or expence. If the tires are wearing more on the inside edge you have a problem.
Two, how to fix there are two choices. New front springs, this will raise the front of the truck leveling out the front suspension. Or camber adjustment, this is done with an offset bushing in the ball joint, not an easy job either way.
Good luck

Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
bomberboat
Senior User
thanks for the replies . i have had a few fords with 4 wd never noticed it before on them . yea it was kind of scary looking. i will need to look at it head on with out backing up.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
RockAuto Faly
New User
Hi,

I heard a few things about the problem you are talking about way back in the day when I was learning to work on cars. I found something in our catalog that may be of help should you decide to try and adjust it. I didn't know exactly what year,make, model and engine size you have so I just included a link to our catalog. The part you want to take a look at is under the suspension category and the Alignment Caster/Camber sub-category.

Let me know if you come up with any questions.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
bomberboat
Senior User
rock auto where might i find the catalog you are talking about??

Old 10-27-2008, 07:46 PM
bomberboat
Senior User
DUH ! found it lol

Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Rockauto wants to sell you the offset balljoint bushing that is used to change the camber/caster. These are a pain to install, you will need an alignment, and they are sold for diifferant degrees of change so you first need to know how for out it is. First determine if you have a problem and if so how much.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM
bomberboat
Senior User
thanks to all i drove it a bit and parked it after driving in a straight for a bit then got out walked about 30 or so yards ahead then looked at it head on . looked just fine. so one less thing to worry about so thanks again.