1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Outdoor winter storage advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outdoor winter storage advice?

I can't take it anymore -- I really want to start parking my daily driver in the garage! I'm tired of scraping the windshield, brushing off the snow, letting it warm up first, etc... We've already been about 10 degrees below normal the past couple of weeks (global warming). Unfortunately, this means parking the '53 outside for the next 6 1/2 months to make room. Temps will fluctuate between -45 and + 45 and I assume a few feet of snow will accumulate between now and the beginning of May.

Looking for any advice on...
Quality/durable car cover recommendations
Fog the engine?
Stabilize the fuel?
Put it up on jack stands?
???

Maybe you can talk me out of this.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
Seriously (from NWS):

Statement as of 3:15 PM AKDT on October 21, 2008

... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to
midnight akdt Wednesday night...

The National Weather Service in Fairbanks has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for snow... which is in effect from midnight tonight
to midnight akdt Wednesday night.

Snow is expected late tonight. Snow will continue through Wednesday
then taper off by midnight Wednesday night. Accumulations of 3 to
5 inches are expected by midnight Wednesday night with no
accumulation thereafter.

A Winter Weather Advisory means that one or more winter hazards
are expected to cause travel difficulties. Use caution when
traveling.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I had my 56 in Anchorage for 11 years before moving to warmer climes. Fog the engine. Add Stabil. Get the right amount of anti-freeze. Try to keep it under a carport if possible but don't cover it. Disconnect the battery and bring it inside on a maintenance charger and you should do alright.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 AM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
Thanks, BACAG. Good stuff from an old sourdough. Why no cover?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I covered my ford GPW (Jeep) with a tarp and the few months (winter) the wind blowing the tarp will really mess up a paint job even if it is the flat OD Green paint, maybe if I could have protected the body somehow and then tarped it, Hmmm maybe shrink wrap would work? LOL I'm not sure of any other reason not to cover it, but am intereted.

I grew up in South Dakota, and I though it was cold there! Good luck, try to stay warm

Later

Josh

Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I know it gets far colder there than it does here but if I'm going to drive my daily driver in the morning and it's going to be in the tens or teens, I plug it in at night and put a small space heater in the cab down by the brake pedal. I put a timer on it and it comes on in the morning about 3-4 hrs prior to when I want to go somewhere.

The block heater and space heater are connected to the same timer. I used to plug it in and operate it all night but I found that it only required about 3-4 hrs so I started using the timer.

Of course with temps at around -45 you would probably need a larger heater and I'll assume that you're using synthetic lubricants etc...

The first time I went to Fairbanks It was -55. It had warmed up from -65 the previous day and the next day when we left the hotel it had warmed up to a balmy -45!!

I don't get up there as much as I used to although I suspect I'll spending a lot of time up there after about JAN09 or so.

Cheers,

Rick

Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Also: A good couple coats of wax, oil change insuring a 10 w something, inflate tires to correct pressure, RainX the windshield, and a couple kisses goodnight.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I kept mine uncovered under a carport to allow the moisture from condensation to escape without impediment and to protect the finish from abrasion. I guess if you had an expensive, soft, breathable cover it would be OK. With the snow coming though it is likely to cause pockets where it sags and the thawing and freezing in spring or if you get a Chinook can wreak havoc with the cover. The little bit of snow that blew into the bed was of no consequence.

I was there from 81 to 99. Moved south to be closer to kids and grand babies. I miss AK every day but do not miss the winters. I saw a cold snap in Fairbanks one Feb that had it to -75° with wind chill to -95° and dew point at -65°. That was freaking cold! It's nice riding my Harley year round down here in Okie land. I get some weird looks and comments when I put on my snow machine suit to ride in the winter but then, I'm not the one shivering. Lol. BTW, did you know that -40° C is also -40° F?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I have a truck sitting outside and its a decent old truck that should be inside. It has a few spots of rust so I used the grease from my grease gun and covered the rusty spots. I then oil sprayed the underside, inside the doors front hood lip, roof (no headliner in it). Then I thought "Heck its outside why not do the outside too" so I sprayed the entire truck, by spring it all washed off with minimal cleanup.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have moved my 51F1 daily driver outside this year, for the first time in the last 5 years I have owned it. It's a bummer I know having to get it ready to go every morning. I now have a 69 Nova in it's place in the garage torn apart. BTW I don't believe in Global Warming, I believe it's one of the signs, (along with the world financial situation) of the Prophetic times we are living in.(fasten you seat belts it's going to be a bumpy ride)

Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Links_vette
Senior User
I know it isn't exactly the same, ecspecially the ground clearance, but I've owned several 70's era corvettes and with a 1 car garage the only one that ever got inside was/is the '73. I don't know if you care about flat spotting the tires since you probably dont push your truck over 100 MPH but I do with the cars, so it's important to me. Either way I would suggest you try and find a set of wheels and CHEAP tires that hold pressure to let her sit on over the winter. Bear minimum for tire protection in my mind is to put a 1 inch thick piece of pine or other soft wood under each tire; this will insulate the tire from the cold ground and the soft wood forms a small amount from the weight of the tire. You can also get a good car/truck cover that has a soft underside that wont destroy your paint, I paid $130 for mine, it's called "The Wall" and does a great job of allowing moisture that is under it to evaporate out. Not sure if you have issues with mice where you are but to keep the little critters the F out of your stuff, use moth *****; I learned that at a corn seed factory.

Side note: dont let snow and or leaves pile up under or around the vehicle.