in bed camper or tow behind?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:24 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id go for the slide-in, yes it will be top-heavy and be a bit harder on fuel, but thats one less licence plate to buy, less tires/bearings to maintain, easier to deal with in tight spaces (if you need to turn around) and if you have limited storage for vehcles, the camper could just stay in the truck all the time. just remember how tall it is when you go through drive-throughs. dual rear wheels would probly help also.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Blue Water Runner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spamjohnson
Even though the Alaskan road is easy now, with a truck camper, you don't have to worry about trailer tires/axles, hitches, tolls, brakes. Parking is fairly easy. Storage is fairly easy. Get some good tie downs (torquelifts) and airbags for the rear axle. If you get a pop up, you won't have the air drag, but that won't make a huge difference as you'll be driving 50 to 60 on the way up the Alcan. If you can get them, electric jacks make a huge difference on loading and unloading a truck camper. I'd go try a few, because they are fairly compact. You can go big, but you would overloading your truck. If it's more than 2 people I'd say trailer. They will enjoy the trip, it's georgous, lots of animals to see, hopefully they do it in the summer. Bring tunes, you don't pick up much radio in Northern Canada.

Ditto.

My rig:

Some campers can be camped in off the truck:

A hard side camper would be better for Alaska unless you are going in June or July. I get 13-14 without the boat. 10-12 with the boat.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
Ideally the best setup is a fifthwheel or gooseneck trailer. They tow the best and cost the least on fuel penalty. They have the best handling compared to a bumper hitched camper or a camper that slides into the bed. I hook mine up solo all the time and it only takes a couple of minutes as a fifth wheel don't have to be dead on like a ball hitch. A fifth wheel will self align if you are in the neighborhood.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
If it were me contemplating such a trip I'd be looking at "pop-up" slide-in campers with the electric/hydraulic jacks so I could drop it easily and a large overcab bunk. You didn't mention truck bed size on the '03, they do make some nice ones for 6 1/2' boxes, but the 8' would be preferable.

We started out with a slide-in .... an 11'3" "cast iron" beast from the early 70's.

We graduated to a fiver because of space, "dropability" (as in leave it behind when you go somewhere) and the fact I'd get claustrophobic in the overcab sleeper bunk. Taking it to Alaska would be another matter entirely and I agree with earlier posters on all points against trailers. High center of gravity, additional wind drag, excessive weight on the truck, tires, etc. are all reasons I would make the above suggestion for the "pop-up" slide-in.

I love my fifth-wheel, I think it's the best of all camper choices for towability, handling in cross, head and erratic wind conditions, "liveability" and space for EVERYTHING you may want to take along ..... but it wouldn't be my first choice for a trip up and back on the Alaska highway.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ClydeSDale
If it were me contemplating such a trip I'd be looking at "pop-up" slide-in campers with the electric/hydraulic jacks so I could drop it easily and a large overcab bunk. You didn't mention truck bed size on the '03, they do make some nice ones for 6 1/2' boxes, but the 8' would be preferable.

We started out with a slide-in .... an 11'3" "cast iron" beast from the early 70's.

We graduated to a fiver because of space, "dropability" (as in leave it behind when you go somewhere) and the fact I'd get claustrophobic in the overcab sleeper bunk. Taking it to Alaska would be another matter entirely and I agree with earlier posters on all points against trailers. High center of gravity, additional wind drag, excessive weight on the truck, tires, etc. are all reasons I would make the above suggestion for the "pop-up" slide-in.

I love my fifth-wheel, I think it's the best of all camper choices for towability, handling in cross, head and erratic wind conditions, "liveability" and space for EVERYTHING you may want to take along ..... but it wouldn't be my first choice for a trip up and back on the Alaska highway.
but you have a VERY NICE rig there, and VERY VERY LOW Milage congrats.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an FYI ... In some states you can legally tow more than one critter behind your rig ... That means a pull trailer and a boat as long as the middle item is a self-contained r.v unit ... But backing up is ........ ummmm ....... IMPOSSIBLE ...

Old 11-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Blue Water Runner
Junior User
Originally Posted by magusjinx
Just an FYI ... In some states you can legally tow more than one critter behind your rig ... That means a pull trailer and a boat as long as the middle item is a self-contained r.v unit ... But backing up is ........ ummmm ....... IMPOSSIBLE ...
In NC its not legal unless you have a CDL. Then you are only allowed in interstate highways. That is how I ended up with a TC rather than towing ATVs/jetskis behind my travel trailer.