in bed camper or tow behind?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Mike in Ohio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in bed camper or tow behind?

Which type of camper causes a bigger drop in fuel mileage? One that slides into the bed and sticks up above the cab or small tow behind 12'-16'? The truck is a 2003 f250 with the 6.0 deisel. My parents are planning a trip to alaska from ohio and are thinking about renting or buying a small camper for the trip. Thanks alot, Mike

Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The slide-in is the gas hog. A small trailer can be left in camp while they go elsewhere. A slide-in will be a constant load. Also a slide-in will have to be secured (everything put up) every time they want to move the truck. Add a topper to the truck and you improve the aerodynamics of the trailer/truck combo. A trailer has more room.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:24 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
i'd check out the outfitter apex 8 pop up truck camper. not a gas hog as many would think and is easy to load and unload.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Bigskyduty
Junior User
Shorebird made many good point's for a pull behind. We looked at basically every kind of camper before getting a fifth wheel, I realize thats not what your parents have in mind tho. I could not believe how expensive the slide-ins were. I couldnt justify price versus room/features.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
mike93
Elder User
I'd go with a tow behind. Slide-ins make the truck very top heavy.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,553 Likes on 1,107 Posts
slide in gets my vote. You will be suprised at the extra's they want to take along. The pull behind will allow that, plus much more room.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So which are you voting for senix?

My vote is for trailer... much more useful and easy to disconnect in seconds without modifying the truck.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,553 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by grafekie
So which are you voting for senix?

My vote is for trailer... much more useful and easy to disconnect in seconds without modifying the truck.
Boy I messed that one up! Vote is for the towing a trailer!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Bigskyduty
Junior User
haha...Im glad you clarified...I was confused as well..

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
I should clarify my reason for the truck camper. The truck camper allows you to pull a boat or enclosed car hauler behind the truck (note I pull a race car). It also allows you to go many places that people have to un hitch their 5ths or travel trailers and then go. Slide in's depending on the model don't make the truck any more top heavy then a 5th wheel or even some long swayey travel trailers. I also like it as there isn't much work to taking a weekend vacation, camper stays in the garage so all you do is wheel it out, jack it up and away you go. I don't have a yard where I can keep a trailer. You can also take a truck camper (without slides) to a lot of wilderness trails in GA, WY, CO, AZ, etc, roads that a 5th wheel or tt can not go down. Each has it's bennies don't get me wrong but you have to buy what is RIGHT FOR YOU.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Spamjohnson
Senior User
Even though the Alaskan road is easy now, with a truck camper, you don't have to worry about trailer tires/axles, hitches, tolls, brakes. Parking is fairly easy. Storage is fairly easy. Get some good tie downs (torquelifts) and airbags for the rear axle. If you get a pop up, you won't have the air drag, but that won't make a huge difference as you'll be driving 50 to 60 on the way up the Alcan. If you can get them, electric jacks make a huge difference on loading and unloading a truck camper. I'd go try a few, because they are fairly compact. You can go big, but you would overloading your truck. If it's more than 2 people I'd say trailer. They will enjoy the trip, it's georgous, lots of animals to see, hopefully they do it in the summer. Bring tunes, you don't pick up much radio in Northern Canada.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with spam...

If only two people for the areas your parents are thinking about going the truck camper makes the most sense to me simply from a number of wheels on the pavement standpoint. Truck camper = 4 on the ground. Travel trailer = 8 on the ground.

I've camped besides many in truck campers...the ones that invested in the electric jacks that allow them to LEAVE the truck camper in the campground while sightseeing are right on the money IMO.

From a weight standpoint...I'd bet that you would be heavier with a TT over a truck camper...simply due to the fact that the truck camper will limit you physically on how much you can cram in there.

Wind resistance may actually be better on the truck camper since it is right above the cab of the truck...with a TT...the truck breaks the wind and then the wind has to be re-broken by the TT...I think you are paying for that wind resistance twice...whereas the truck camper is in close proximity to the tow vehicle. Although a TT in the 12-16' range will likely be 10' tall or under due to NO SLIDES...so wind resistance may simply be a wash between these two.

But from a pure ease of handling standpoint...NOT having something that can articulate behind you is a major plus IMO...so the truck camper here shines...especially if the road conditions are snowy. Keeping 4 wheels under control is hard enough in the snow...let alone having a tag behind back there...

BOTH certainly have pros and cons...I pull a TT but then again I've got a growing family. But if it were simply my wife and I and I had a pickemup truck and were planning this type of trip...if I didn't get a Class-C or A to drive...I'd very likely go truck camper.

Instead of simply focusing on mpgs...I think you should also think about drivability...of course assuming that the truck camper can be DROPPED at the campsite for sightseeing trips...that is my one assumption.

Good luck to you and your parents!
joe.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 666 Likes on 426 Posts
I have a '96 Lance 6 1/2 foot slide in. It is really nice but it's a bit cramped. It weighs in at about 3000 pounds. When loaded, I have 5000 on the front axle and 5750 on the rear, approx. I put my tires up to 80PSI and don't feel it sways much. I also have the camper package with the overload springs and sway bars.

This is just my opinion.

The Pro's. No extra tires, brakes, etc. to go wrong. Easier to park, back, etc. Can tow a trailer if I want to. It's about the only option if you want to go with your boat, etc.

Cons. It's a real bitch to load by yourself. Trying to get it lined up, get in move a few inches, get out and look, a little left, get out and look, a little right, get out and look, etc, etc, etc. It took me two hours to load the damn thing once. Not so bad with two people. I'd also say that this lance is the first camper I've ever seen (Dad has owned a number of campers), where the jacks are attached solid enough that it doesn't feel like it's going to fall over if a fly breaths on it when it's up in the air.

I think it's a little more cramped inside, because a good portion is just the bed on the overhang. Bed is a bit hard to get into, and because my bed runs front to back, and the front slopes down, I keep hitting my head on the roof. It is a full queen size bed though, which is nice. It's also a bit of a climb to get into and out of the camper when it's on the truck. Also, storage is limited and you can't put any gear in the truck bed.

The biggest pro to the slide in is the ability to tow a trailer. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd get a smaller trailer.

I can't speak to the fuel economy bit. I really don't think it'd make much difference. I can say that empty I run 17-19.5 MPG. With the camper I run 14-16 MPG.

Another thing to remember with the camper, is that if you're just renting it for one time use, you still have to put all the tie down hardware on. And it ain't cheap. Chances are your truck already has a receiver hitch and if you need a WD hitch, it can probably be rented with the trailer. You will need a brake controller, if you don't already have one. But a Prodigy can be had for less that $125 now and is easy to install if you get the truck specific wiring harness.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
In CA, dont know about any other state, a reason for slide-in over pull-behind is legal speed limits. 55mph is the limit for towing here.

Jim

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Ohio too... but for all the times I've towed through Ohio I've gone the upper limit and not had issues But Ohio is just as bad as California as far as State Police patrolling.

Quick Reply: in bed camper or tow behind?