Sponsored by:

spool on the street

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 06:34 AM
72f100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spool on the street

I goto truckworld pretty frenquently. There I am known as "72ford" (that name was already taken here). Your right, they did do a good job of cleaning up the mess and getting rid of all the immaturaty in that board. Their forum setup is awesome too.

Old 03-29-2001, 03:35 PM
tuff1
Junior User
spool on the street

Wow, no way I'm i going to take sides on this. I have been thining about a spool or locker to, and after reading/talking it seems that the old timers say no way to a spool, but a locker is okay. Hey mj- in the other big spool/no spool thread where you fought with proliator you did say that you had a toyota spooled front and rear...you said it was lincoln locked. Now your saying you don't, I'm confused. In that thread pro said he had run spools so I don't know why your blowing him off anyways, it doesn't seem like he's the one starting the name calling. Anyways, I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but I am confused whether or not a spool is okay on the street. I know they are ultimate traction but I don't want to lose driveablity. Some guys say that even a locker would be bad in my shortwheel based Bronco...wouldn't a spool be worse then? Hey, F100, how long you run that spool and how are your tires wearing. Thanks guys.

The only good chevy is a dead chevy

Old 03-29-2001, 05:46 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
spool on the street

I said I was done with this thread, but I have sympathy for wlmgshap, tuff, and all the others who are understandably unclear on this subject. Thus, I'll make this one last post in this thread. Yes, tuff, I did mention in that other thread that I have run spools, and currently run with a locker. mj knows this, as he was beating on his chest in that thread too (and yes, that was the same thread where he talked about the spooled toyota). Why he contradicts himself now is beyond me. No wonder your confused. I suspect he is both sharp as a marble and simply trying to draw me out so he can get his jollies off inane arguments. But enough of that, I am posting this simply to offer those of you who want more information on this topic to simply e-mail me. I'm more than happy to offer my opinion drawn from decades of experience, both professional and recreational, so that you can make up your own minds. That way, a certain individual won't have to feel so threatened and be compelled to generate drama. Just click on the little mail icon in the upper left next to the profile and I'll get back to you.

If your knuckles ain't bleeding you did something wrong.

'72 F-250 "Hi-Boy" 4x4, Dana 60/HD44, FE390 @ 400hp(purt near!), 4-speed, custom suspension w 4" lift, mud on black.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:29 PM
mj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spool on the street

you better shoot me a link, i have never owned a toyota. and i did a search with 'mj' as the criteria and didnt come up with it. i did say that there were at least a dozen toyotas near where i live with welded difs but i never claimed to own one.
email the link where i said i owed a toy to me at m3millar(No Email Addresses In Posts!) . maybe someone is impersonating me

pooreilater, it isnt about you. you are just a loser who keeps responding to these posts. more illusions of grandeur. please when you say your gone, GO. if your going to stay then quit being a drama queen. you are distracting people who want to exchange information.

what did i contradict myself on i missed it? i said 'i would run a spool if one was available for my d70' i said 'i daily drove a datsun 510 with a welded rear dif' i said 'welding the spiders to the carrier is not good, try filling the voids in the spider gears AS PER THE PHOTOS ON MY PHOTOPOINT ALBUM' i have never done it but i became aware of it when i met a demolition derby guy who does it this way, it looked different to me so i posted some questions on a bulletin board and a another guy said 'like this' and posted the photos i have and i learned he has done a ton of them and that it allows the dif to survive even bent housings that toyotas are famous for.

Old 03-30-2001, 07:39 AM
72f100
Senior User
spool on the street

-Tuff1-
I've had the spool for 3 months or so now. I live in town and do alot of in town driving but so far the tire wear doesn't seem to be too aweful bad. I'm also running 35x15.50 TSL/SX so I was REALLY expecting some nasty tire wear. I know I haven't had it long enough to really judge this properly, but so far I'm happy w/ the wear. I really do like my spool and will continue running it until I strike it rich and can afford an ARB. Of course if I could afford one of those I'd probably put it in the front axle and still keep the spool.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:38 AM
tuff1
Junior User
spool on the street

sorry mj, my bad. You did say datsun in that thread, not toyota. Although what the difference is I don't know! Isnt weldin your diffs the same thing as a spool, just not as strong. A recent 4x mag had an articler on that. But really, you need to let this go mj! You look kinda silly still shooting of your mouth at prol, I don't see what he ever did to you but offer a different idea, why do you keep up the name calling? I noticed you gotten on others guys nerves in other threads about this too. Im glad you have a diffrent opinion though, so i see both sides. Anyways, i mailed pro and he hit my back with some good info, but I still can't decide, though it sounds like with my short wheel based bronc it might be better to go locker. 72100, thabnks for the info! I wish i could afford arbs too! Have you had the spool on any slick corners yet, howd it do?

The only good chevy is a dead chevy.

Old 03-30-2001, 12:58 PM
tuff1
Junior User
spool on the street

Oh, i almost forgot, anybody heard of an ox locker? I guess they use a cable to act like a spool then unlock. if their cheaper than arb that might work. I heard about a electric locker but figure that will be too $$$ for me. And whatever happened to drago? Hes the one that really started all this rucus then he disapered, did he get booted off?

Old 03-30-2001, 01:27 PM
mj
Senior User
spool on the street

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 30-Mar-01 AT 02:45 PM (EST)[/font][p]well my opinion differs on that tuff1,
seems to me i referred to him as one of the nay Sayers, i didn’t think that was to far off base or inflammatory, and he responded in his next post by calling any one who tried a spool a dip**** and a blockhead and questioned their genetics. i am thicker skinned than some but drago obviously didn’t like the slights and responded. i never got to see dragos unedited posts.
i am not sure the language but 'proeliator' means 'warrior', he is baiting people into his games.
drago, 72ford, and a few others step up and say 'i am running one', i would talk to them not proeliator to get the real deal.
the datsun 510 is a little car not a 4x4, its wheelbase is way less than your bronco. you need to hit a few more sites and learn what 'locker induced lane change' is all about. i am just trying to let some people know that the detroit is not that different in operation from the spool. it has some significant drawbacks and if a spool is available for your application it will be hundreds cheaper. if you opt to try a mini spool as 72ford did you will be out $50 for parts some gear oil that needed changing anyway, cheap test if you ask me, you could get a spare set of spider and side gears and fill the voids like on my photopoint site for even less and still be able to return it to open in an hour or so.

Old 03-30-2001, 04:02 PM
tuff1
Junior User
spool on the street

oh well, I guess i didn't read the thread that way. i think he was saying anybody who says a vehicle spooled front and back corners great on ice is a dip*****. I guess id doesnt matter, you guys make for interesting reading!!! thanks for the additional info, I think id be scared to weld my diff though. Im just trying to get info from everybody befor I decide. Its tough because youall have good advice its just the opposite!

Old 03-30-2001, 05:04 PM
mj
Senior User
Old 04-03-2001, 10:27 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
spool on the street

72F100,

Like most people on a tight budget that want more traction. Do you know where I can get a mini spool for my 95 F-150 w/ 8.8? Also knowing that I need to change the carriers when I go to lower gears (numerically higher), will I need to change the mini spool as well? I can't afford the gears yet (mainly the installation costs for the front TTB), but I want to put some sort of traction adding device that I can put in the rear until I can afford the upgrade.

Karl

'95 F-150 Eddie Bauer ext cab 4x4
351 w/ 33 Pro Comp MT's

Old 04-03-2001, 01:49 PM
72f100
Senior User
spool on the street

Jegs (www.jegs.com) has em' for just over $100. I'd try calling a local speed shop. They might have one a bit cheaper and they can tell you what all is involved in installing one. I bought mine from a speed shop in town for $40 but I have a 9", the 8.8 is more expensive. If it's a decent shop the can install it and set pinion depth for you as well.

"Like a Rock"; on the sides of roads everywhere.

Old 04-04-2001, 06:22 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
spool on the street

Thanks, I'll try to see how this works.

Karl

'95 F-150 Eddie Bauer ext cab 4x4
351 w/ 33 Pro Comp MT's

Old 04-05-2001, 04:30 AM
traildawg
Senior User
spool on the street

You can also get a mini-spool, which just replaces the spider gears like a Lok-Rite does. They're going for about $60 through Jeg's

TrailDawg
https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/User_files/3aaa4bac6f539876.jpg
1993 F150 2WD
4.9L-Auto
Pro-Comp Stage-2 6" lift
Auburn Pro-Series Diff. w/4.30:1 gears
35x12.50x15 General Grabber MT's
http://www.geocities.com/ProjectTrailDawg