Sponsored by:

4X4 crunching sounds

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2000, 06:20 PM
gkoepper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 crunching sounds

I am a new 95 Ranger 4x4 owner. When I engage four wheel drive, then release the clutch, I sometimes hear a pretty scary crunching from the front drivers side wheel. I can also hear a lesser noise, complimented by what feels like something slipping or jerking, when in four wheel drive and taking corners, or going up or down hills. Is something wrong with my truck, or do 4X4's just make strange noises occassionaly?

Old 02-16-2000, 09:30 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
4X4 crunching sounds

>I am a new 95 Ranger 4x4
>owner. When I engage four
>wheel drive, then release the clutch,
>I sometimes hear a pretty scary
>crunching from the front drivers side
>wheel.

I'd start by looking at wheel bearings.

I can also hear a
>lesser noise, complimented by what feels
>like something slipping or jerking, when
>in four wheel drive and taking
>corners, or going up or down
>hills. Is something wrong with
>my truck, or do 4X4's just
>make strange noises occassionaly?

The jerking and possibly pulling on the steering wheel is the front wheels trying to grab and slipping. It probably happens most noticeably on hard packed trails and/or pavement.

Trail Rider

Old 02-17-2000, 01:19 AM
H8monday
Senior User
4X4 crunching sounds

GKoepper,
Do you have any knowledge of the history of the truck. The answer to one of your questions, do 4x4s just make funny noises? The answer is sometimes Yes, If there is some sort of aftermarket locker in the front end,It will pop and grind and sometimes jerk your steering around on pavement turns. This is the byproduct of the locker holding on to the power to the slipping wheel,(as its supposed to do)then suddenly indexing the traction off then on again . Thats why the factories dont offer them, and why ARB air lockers are so popular in the front axle of many 4x4s. On the other hand, if you dont have a locker, then one of your hub slines is probabley shot. There is the possibility that an inner axle spline is bad or even a failure in the diff(worn spider,or side gear,broken teeth on the Ring or pinion gear,worn LSD clutches,etc.). The hubs are the weak link though and the first place to look. Later,
Jeff

Old 02-17-2000, 11:49 AM
big60
Junior User
4X4 crunching sounds

if your 95 Ranger has automatic front hubs, then that sound could be coming from one of them initially trying to engage. This happened on my '95 F150.

Old 02-18-2000, 01:08 PM
gkoepper
New User
4X4 crunching sounds

Thanks for the info. My truck is stock with auto locking hubs. The worst noise is when I am turning sharply. The lesser noise and "slipping" happens when I am using engine compression to slow the truck down hills, but also sometimes happens going up hills, too. I have been driving on mostly hard packed snow, and occassionaly pavement. The sound is always coming from the drivers side front wheel, and when it is bad there is quite a shudder that makes me think the wheel is going to break right off. Since I am an inexperienced four wheeler, I am trying to educate myself before taking the truck to the shop for something that might not be a problem. I bought an extended warranty, so if it is a problem it should be covered... I hope.

Thanks again for any help you can give me. I love my truck and just want to be able to use it to its fullest asap!

Old 02-23-2000, 12:17 AM
5130d
New User
4X4 crunching sounds

my brother inlaw has a 92 ranger and his did the same thing and it's the front hub (auto hubs) slipping and he replaced the hubs both sides because they were worn out thats what was wrong with his... hopefully my two cents will help you??? have your hubs checked out before it does more damage

thanks Tim C./ FATBOYZ MOTORSPORTS CLUB

Old 02-27-2000, 06:51 AM
JCs96
Freshman User
4X4 crunching sounds

My 96 F150 40k miles just did the same thing. Only difference is it is on the passenger side. Pulled the hubs of last night (not as difficult once you get down to it as you may think). I found nothing major wrong with the hubs except the grease smelled a little scorched and seemed to thick for this low friction application. I am researching the particular type of grease needed right now. Most of the problem is in the autolocking assembly. Dealer wants $104 for a new one for me. Not sure what a ranger one will cost. I am going to manual hubs when my conversion kit comes in. The whole process will only hit me for about $120 plus I will probably replace the bearings while I am in there. If you decide to do this I will let you know how mine comes out.
JC

Old 12-21-2000, 07:01 AM
darn
New User
4X4 crunching sounds

I have a 95 F150 4x4 with auto-hubs too. Recently, when I drive in 4wd, there's "chunck" occasionally, and turning can be an interesting experience too, what with all clunking, chunking etc. When I disengage the 4wd, there's a lot of whining noise coming from the front end. This all has just started happening in the past 2 weeks (naturally, we've been getting snow after snow).

Does this sound like a hub problem too? And any ideas of costs to fix this annoyance?

Old 01-02-2001, 05:16 AM
KevinT
Senior User
4X4 crunching sounds

When you were discribbing the shuddering in turning, how hard packed is the surface you are driving on? My friend `94 Ranger supercab 4x4 XLT fully optioned to the hilt with the front/rear limited slip and POSSIBLY lockers only does weird things on pavement...
when coming out of a trail and turning back onto pavement the car will buck and chirp the front tires, but put it back into 2wd (heh, push the button, wait for light to go and, and give it gas the weird stuff stops and it starts driving like a regular car, no funky noises from the hubs though...so you might just have a blown drivers side hub in there.

1995 F-150 XL Reg Cab/Bed
http://members.sounddomain.com/blind
5-star rated F-150 (big stereo)

Old 04-09-2001, 08:33 AM
tahoebond
New User
4X4 crunching sounds

I too had the same problem with my 93 f150, the drivers side hub was not engaging all the way. Spring was not realeasing properly. If I have the same problem again I am going to manual hubs, they are cheap to replace and easy to install. About 100 or so, not bad when compared to auto hubs from the dealer and a whole lot better.

Old 04-09-2001, 05:39 PM
mjb1962
Senior User
4X4 crunching sounds