6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel in CCV blowby.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
cactus13
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel in CCV blowby.

Fuel in CCV blowby
Quote:
Originally Posted by vloney
Lets start with the CCV, because, in everyones opinion, its related to the oily deposits on the egr valves. Ask your favorite tech how much he uses his magnahelic (SP?) guage. Chances are he doesn't know if the dealership has one. Its a guage set, with several guages on it. One measures (with an adapter) blow by. If you're getting excessive oil in your CCV, this needs to be measured for problems (and yes, there is specs on that). Doing the CCV mod is like taking an aspirin for a toothache, it feels better, but the problem is still there.

Besides worn or broken rings is there any other reason for fuel to appear in my ccv blowby? Can this be tested for with a magnahelic guage?

I temporarily routed my ccv to outside the frame rail under the driver door. Returning from a 280 mile highway trip, LA to Bakersfield, I found fresh fuel dripping from the frame and tank. lots of it.
Truck is 2004 6.0 with 122K mileage. bought it used 8 weeks ago and trying to figure out the condition and the fuel mileage. running B50 biodiesel. the truck seems to run good however I'm a first time diesel owner.
Thanks for the huge education on these forums. Dana

Old 09-08-2008, 11:10 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,518 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Fuel in the oil most probably means an injector o-ring leak.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 PM
cactus13
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply, is there a test to find which one or do I replace all of them as a standard maintenance thing?
Dana

Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You put UV dye in the fuel bowl and disconnect one side at a time and watch the oil drain for UV dye. After you determine which side is leaking, pull the valve cover on that side, do the UV dye again to find which injector its leaking around and replace those o-rings. Its a pain in the *** and most of the cheap UV dye kits you buy have crappy lights which don't work well, the good ones are several hundred $$$.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
cactus13
Freshman User
Thank you for the reply. Can I get the UV kit at Napa or similar? Should I attempt this or just pay a diesel tech. I am experienced at repairing cars but have no special 6.0 tools yet. Is there a how-to buried in FTE posts? I couldn't find one in the tech guide. One other thing, shouldn't I be worried about contaminating my oil with fuel? Guess i need to fix this before driving much more...
Thanks for all advice.
Dana

Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cactus13
Thank you for the reply. Can I get the UV kit at Napa or similar? Should I attempt this or just pay a diesel tech. I am experienced at repairing cars but have no special 6.0 tools yet. Is there a how-to buried in FTE posts? I couldn't find one in the tech guide. One other thing, shouldn't I be worried about contaminating my oil with fuel? Guess i need to fix this before driving much more...
Thanks for all advice.
Dana
Maybe send an oil sample to Blackstone too. They are one of the site sponsors listed on the right.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:40 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The kits can be bought at NAPA or some other auto parts store. Diesel in your oil is a problem, it reduces the oils lubricity by quite a bit. Anything over 5-6% is considered a problem. A Blackstone oil analysis is a good place to start. Also, if your oil level usually stays pretty steady check it often to see if the level is rising.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaskew
.....site sponsors listed on the right.
Oooops, I was turned around. I mean the left.