Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

first Diesel? Would you buy? 1987E-350 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
crazyone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first Diesel? Would you buy? 1987E-350 6.9

Been trying to figure what I need to tow a 7000lb boat from Norfolk, VA to Chicago, IL.
Found a 1987 ford E-350 with 6.9L no after market turbo. has ?31,350 miles current owners has only had it two years and replaced lift pump, fuel filter, batteries, kingpins, brakes(front and back) tires are almost new (1000 miles)(has receipts for all). Body has some rust spots nothing major. Engine slow to start (cranking 20 to 25 seconds) when cold and lopes at idle. I am thinking air leaking into fuel system. He is asking $800. kelly blue book says fair condition value is around $1000. I did not get whole VIN but have 1FTJS3419HHA1.

AS to log on: when you work on a nine inch wide peice of steel with a 1 inch drive impact gun over 90ft up over water. Your friends start to call you crazy

Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
It sounds like a good deal and something I would buy. The hard starting could be the glowplugs not working or cycleing properly. That would be first thing check right when you turn key on/engine off and see if they are cycling. The slow starting can also be any of the 3 (bad starter/weak batteries/bad battery cable.) Does it have 2 good batteries as well. And you may also be on the right path with the air getting in to the fuel system and bleeding down. The lift pump could possibly have a defective one way valve in it and need replaced even though it is near new pump. Also check and see if there is any fuel leaking around the lines on the engine while running. If it is, this could be where your air is leaking in.

How bad and how long does the engine lope after starting.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
crazyone
New User
Was out checking it out again today. Had friend crank it and pressed on air bleed valve when trying to start. Had some air come out about a 2 or 3 seconds then it fired right up. we tried switching tanks and the lope slowed then stopped. My guess is a leak on the suction side of the lift pump before the front tank. Wife said buy the beast and use it to move your boat.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
Wow. I dont know any woman who would say its OK buy a 21 year old rusty van.

Props on picking an awesome wife!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
If you want a diesel van that's gotta be one of the best ones ever from a mechanical stand point.

My wife tolerates me bring home old trucks all the time but it's always the first thing she uses for leverage when SHE wants something. Beware!
The older she gets the better she becomes though, wierd! Maybe as the years pass on and a decade from now the looks and body start to go the personality makes up for it. LOL
I've been married 9 years, maybe a more "seasoned" vetran of the Marriage Wars could enlighten me/us? HaHa!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
tbone91
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
My wife tolerates me bring home old trucks all the time but it's always the first thing she uses for leverage when SHE wants something. Beware!
The older she gets the better she becomes though, wierd! Maybe as the years pass on and a decade from now the looks and body start to go the personality makes up for it. LOL
I've been married 9 years, maybe a more "seasoned" vetran of the Marriage Wars could enlighten me/us? HaHa!
I was married for 22 years. She let me buy/do just about anything I wanted. Finally, I couldn't take it -- life is too boring unless it's a challenge... Besides, having to justify things like buying old rust buckets, keeps you from making so many silly mistakes.

As far as vans go, it sounds like a deal...

Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 PM
crazyone
New User
Just got back into states

Just returned from a 2 month surge deployment. While I was GONE my loving wife purchased the Beast as she calls it. I have check the beast over pretty good. Only one small spot of surface rust below driverside tail light and on lower edge of side door. Frame and undercarrage are rust free. The motor is clean (not just pressure washed clean) and owner has all receipts for work he and previous owner had done for last twenty years. They both used the same mechanic for everything on it. Can not beat that for documents.
As for my wife we have been married for 19 years and I have only been home for roughly 9 of it military life is hard but being married to one I think is much harder. I guess with my retirement fast approaching 23 Dec 08 she is thinking I have a new to me playtoy I can tinker with and not need to purchase anything else for awhile.

Thank you for a great web site with so much information. I just started to read ALL the posts I am learning allot keep the information coming.
"Information and knowledge are the two most important tools to possess.
Aquire and use them."

Jim

Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Thanks for your years of service, I know you weren't "fishing" for that but thanks anyway.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
crazyone,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

Don't know how I missed welcoming you back in September, but I was working a good bit back then.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM
speedrdr
Elder User
crazyone,
beware the wife that "encourages" you to buy an old vehicle. MY wife suggested that i buy my neighbor's '75 bronco that he's swapping some parts out on to one that he's restored. got suspicious and found out that she had found an ancient VW beetle that she wanted. seems like there's always a trade off. decided that i didn't need two at a time to be working on. LOL anyway, glad you're back home safe and sound. several of my friends from church are over in the sandbox now. BTW, working 90 feet over water doesn't sound as crazy as working 90 feet over pavement!!!!!

speedrdr

Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
90 feet UNDER water would be the worst for me.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I added 4 random numbers to complete the partial VIN you gave and here is the result.

Your VIN number: 1FTJS3419HHA17599
World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions:
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, USA

Make: Ford

Vehicle Type: Truck (Completed Vehicle)

Brake Type and GVWR Class - 4th Position:

Brake System: • Hydraulic brake system, Class H, GVWR 9,001-10,000 pounds, None

Line Series, Chassis Type, Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions:

Line Series: Econoline - E350 Super Duty

Chassis Type: 4x2

Body Type: Cargo Van - Super Duty Extended Van

Engine Type - 8th Position: