6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How To: 6.0L CCV Re-route

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by riggz
Psssh, credit for what? Telling me to get the wrong size hose and wrong size cap? BAH! I'll wait for your calculations....
What was I calculating again? I forgot.

Unless your intake somehow changed from mine, which I doubt, you were given the right sizes.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found this to work quite well...
in the electrical dept find a 1 pvc capped bushing, it fits real well. This is what would slide inside a 1" pvc pipe and cap it off.
It has a flanged end so it won't have any issues migrating in the intake.
Press fit with light slather of contact cement along with a hose clamp will put to ease anybodys concerns.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Storm
What was I calculating again? I forgot.

Unless your intake somehow changed from mine, which I doubt, you were given the right sizes.
You gave me the size of that plug AND the size of the hose as 3/4" instead of 1". So

Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
grif95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome write-up!! Thank you for providing the pics. Think I will tackle this little project once I get my EGR issue(s) taken care of.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

Has anybody just dead-ended their CCV reroute hose with a valve cover breather/filter?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by w_huisman
Has anybody just dead-ended their CCV reroute hose with a valve cover breather/filter?
I did. I got the Luber Finer breather filter model # BF3402 that Riggz mentioned and ended it right about under the fuel tank. I can see it working occasionally when it's cold - there's smoke coming out of it - I get a whiff now and then but it's no worse (better?) than the exhaust.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
most if not all of the CCV reroute kits dead end under the cab or like Jim did run it to the back of the vehicle. i believe the reason bismic ran his back up the the intake was was for the vacuum to suck the gasses out of the crank case so any backed up gasses don't start mixing with the oil and contaminating it causing it to deteriorate faster. he did put a better inline filter in it to catch the oils and gunk that is in the gasses which cake up on the turbo and IC boots and piping. correct me if i'm wrong mark.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,517 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Originally Posted by mxer0022
most if not all of the CCV reroute kits dead end under the cab or like Jim did run it to the back of the vehicle. i believe the reason bismic ran his back up the the intake was was for the vacuum to suck the gasses out of the crank case so any backed up gasses don't start mixing with the oil and contaminating it causing it to deteriorate faster. he did put a better inline filter in it to catch the oils and gunk that is in the gasses which cake up on the turbo and IC boots and piping. correct me if i'm wrong mark.
You are correct. I made sure that I ran the lines so that there were no "dead legs" (ie constant slope) and were large enough to avoid much pressure loss ....... hopefuly keeping the crankcase at as low of a pressure as possible. There isn't much vacuum in the intake, especially when the filters are clean, but there is some.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
bradcollison
Senior User
Originally Posted by Storm
Sorry but I'm going to have to say that is wrong. The pressure of the intake over time will destroy epoxy causing that cap to be sucked into the turbo. The correct method to insure that nothing EVER gets brought into the intake is using the piece that was originally in the intake and epoxy a cap "OVER" it.
Or you could use:

A rubber expansion plug you find at a good hardware store. The kind with rubber sandwiched between two metal plates. You have a nut to tighten to squeeze the metal plates together which causes the rubber to expand, which fills the intake "hole" like a champ.

I then used a hose clamp around the outside of this to ensure it will never move.

Works for me.

I ran my 1" ID hose all the way back to just before the fuel tank. I really don't see much oil back there in the 40,000 miles (47,000 miles on truck) i've put on the truck since I've done the mod.

I can see the crankcase vapors when the sun hits the side of the truck right, and there is no wind.

I can really smell the vent after I change the oil. I use Shaeffer's 5W-40 synthetic and it is rather aromatic for the first 1,000 miles or so after the oil change.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:38 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bradcollison
Or you could use:

A rubber expansion plug you find at a good hardware store. The kind with rubber sandwiched between two metal plates. You have a nut to tighten to squeeze the metal plates together which causes the rubber to expand, which fills the intake "hole" like a champ.

I then used a hose clamp around the outside of this to ensure it will never move.

Works for me.

I ran my 1" ID hose all the way back to just before the fuel tank. I really don't see much oil back there in the 40,000 miles (47,000 miles on truck) i've put on the truck since I've done the mod.

I can see the crankcase vapors when the sun hits the side of the truck right, and there is no wind.

I can really smell the vent after I change the oil. I use Shaeffer's 5W-40 synthetic and it is rather aromatic for the first 1,000 miles or so after the oil change.
That is exactly what i used to plug the mine up. Cheap at Advanced Auto Parts and works like a charm!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
I'll throw my hat into the ring by adding the the CCV can be terminated into the exhaust. The odor/fumes will go out the tail pipe plus, as an added benefit, there may be an increase in horse power.
Take look here for more:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ccv-flack.html

Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
I used a 3/4" slip PVC Plug and a hose clamp, no epoxy needed.
I routed the exhaust tube under the stock air box. Poked the 1" tube just under the zoodad opening and installed a chrome 1" CCV filter/vent that was used on the old Chevy 350 valve cover. The intake will slightly draw the stinky exhaust from the crank case when running, I am confident that the filter element I purchased will catch the oil residue.
Just another experiment on re-routing the CCV exhaust.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
05fx4Screw
Freshman User
Does anyone have good pics of this and what filters and stuff they have used recenlty? Wanting to do this on my 03 6.0. but would like to have some pics to go off of as to which hoses go where and why. All I see are red X's in this thread.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:55 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry I didn't renew that domain name. Here are the pics:

Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,517 Likes on 1,749 Posts
very nice pics riggz!

Quick Reply: How To: 6.0L CCV Re-route