Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Intermittent Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM
usherac21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Starting Problem

I'm having a problem starting my 2001 Excursion 7.3. No mods have been done to it at all. It had a recent CPS installed under recall by Ford. Sometimes when I start the truck, it will not start on the first two attempts, no matter how long I crank. It will start almost immediately on the third try. It ten lobes for a few seconds before smoothing out. Sometimes it starts on the first attempt with no issues. I'm new to diesels and would appreciate anything you guys can suggest.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will im glad i never went ahead and had that CPS recall done!what color CPS did they put in there?sorry im no help!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How long does the truck sit before you have this problem? Is it only when the engine is cold, hot, or both? It doesn't sound like a CPS, but who really knows with those things. Did this start immediately after the CPS change?

How old is your engine oil, and is it full? Fuel and air filters clean?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:21 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
To early in the year for the Romps. I am thinking trash in the intank screen or maybe in the pump screen, or if you have not changed your fuel filter lately it may be that simple.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by usherac21
I'm having a problem starting my 2001 Excursion 7.3. No mods have been done to it at all. It had a recent CPS installed under recall by Ford. Sometimes when I start the truck, it will not start on the first two attempts, no matter how long I crank. It will start almost immediately on the third try. It ten lobes for a few seconds before smoothing out. Sometimes it starts on the first attempt with no issues. I'm new to diesels and would appreciate anything you guys can suggest.
Might want to see if the connector on the ICP sensor is corroded ,,,look for oil leaking from the sensor while you are there...

Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
usherac21
Junior User
I think the problem usually occurs when the truck is cold. It does occur sometimes when it's hot, though. The fuel filter was changed 8 months (7000 miles) ago. I just bought the truck a month ago, so I will change the fuel filter as a precaution. The oil was just changed (the problem was present before the change). Could it be the CPS? A mechanic told me that if the CPS is bad, you won't get a start at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Did you check the ICP connector for signs of oil? It's the round looking thing on the front inboard side of the drivers head. Unplug the electrical connector and look for oil contamination. You can try starting with the ICP unplugged, but I wouldn't drive around that way. If the truck starts up with no problems with it unplugged, that's a sign the sensor is bad. If there is oil in the connector that's another sign.

If the ICP looks good, you may want to check the oil level in the HPOP after you let the truck sit overnight.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
usherac21
Junior User
Thanks, I'll check the sensor tomorrow and report back.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Polkster
Senior User
When i got my diesel it would sometimes turn over and over and not start. Then it would start. Then it wouldn't. Then it would.
Changed the batteries and haven't had that problem anymore. Put 2 new ones, not one.
Check the batteries under a load, while the motor is turning over.
I had one battery that was low under load.
Check your batteries and let me know if this cures it.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM
usherac21
Junior User
Update on the starting problem...replaced the fuel filter. The old one seemed dirty, but I guess I wouldn't know if it really was since I never changed this kind before. Anyway, the screen was black and the interior media looked dark in color. I checked the sensor I was told to check. It is pristine with no oil contamination. I did not try to start the truck with it unplugged yet. I am going out later and will try to start it again. It started on the first try a few times after the filter change. That's no proof that it's fixed, though, since it would sometimes start on the first try, anyway. I hope someone can answer a few questions for me:

1. Should a diesel engine start immediately, or do they always crank over at least a few times before firing up. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but this is my first diesel.

2. There is a black thing mounted to the inside of the passenger's side fender that is humming after I turn the key forward. Sometimes it stops after the "Wait to start" light goes off, and sometimes it doesn't. It seems pretty loud since I can hear it from inside the vehicle with the doors and windows closed.

3. What and where is an HPOP. (again, pardon the ignorance)

Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Your never going to learn anything about these motors unless you ask questions, so don't be shy about it.

A diesel typically takes longer to start than a gas engine, so I wouldn't be concerned about the engine turning over a couple of times before it catches.

I'll guess the black plastic thing on the passenger fender making noise is your vacuum pump. Used for things like ESOP (electronic shift on the fly), or operating the blend doors on the AC/Heater vents.

The HPOP is your high pressure oil pump. It takes regular engine oil and pumps it up to a high pressure that is used to fire the fuel injectors. The HPOP sits kind of in front and below the fuel filter bowl. It has a tall rectangular reservoir just in front of it. If you remove the plastic cover that says powerstroke on top of the fuel filter bowl you will see the HPOP reservoir. There is an inspection plug on the right top side that takes a torx fitting to remove. The oil in the reservoir should be within 3/4" of the top. You cannot overfill the reservoir since it will drain back down to the oil pan once it gets up around 1/2" from the top. If you check the oil here, DO NOT try and start the truck until you have put the plug back in and tightened it down. They don't call it high pressure for nothing.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Polkster
Senior User
"Quote"
I'll guess the black plastic thing on the passenger fender making noise is your vacuum pump. Used for things like ESOP (electronic shift on the fly), or operating the blend doors on the AC/Heater vents.

When it doesn't make noise is when there's a problem. Mine went out on 2000F450 and the a/c and or heat would only blow from defrost vents. If it goes out pull it off and go to salvage yard they are overpriced at dealer.
Doesn't cost that much, so i change the fuel filter every oil change, they say not needed that often but why not, got your hood open putting oil in, mat as well get that filter.
On the back side of filter housing there is drain valve that empties fuel filter before you take the old one out, saves lots of dripping diesel when you take old one out.
I am new to diesels also and have learned most everything about repairs and maintenance from the guys on this forum, everyone is eager to help you out.
See, here i am trying to help and i'm still a diesel rookie, I do have 2 diesel trucks now.
THANKS to everyone helping us newbies out!!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:52 AM
usherac21
Junior User
I went out to start the truck this morning and it started on the first attempt. I had been having the starting problem almost every morning and at various other times. I'm hopeful that the problem was solved with just the fuel filter change, although I will check the batteries today. The only concern I have is that the truck turned over for maybe 5 seconds before finally starting. Is this an inordinate amount of time for these engines, or is it normal?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After it sits for the night check the level in you HPOP. If it is leaking back you may need the extra cranking to build up pressure. Add a little oil and seee how it starts then.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Polkster
Senior User
My problem with batteries was that it dint start at all, it just turned over for more than 5 seconds and didnt start. 5 seconds seems to be a long time? 2 or 3 the most?
First time i changed fuel filter in one truck it was completely black also like yours, wasnt having any problems though. Like i said change it as often as oil change, never can tell when you buy some bad gas.
We see the fuel filters work well, being black when we change them.
Good luck, keep us informed with progress.