1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

chevy in a ford

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I'd rather have a Chevy engine dressed as a Ford than a Ford engine dressed as a Chevy...

Thats what I think too Here's mine.

Welcome here anyway. If I had it to do over again, I'd go ahead and find a Ford engine, but I HATE to think about takin mine all apart to do that, so I'll just drive it the way it is. Glad to have you here in our little corner of the world. I call it the Henry Ford Clinic

Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 AM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i didn't know that a chevy motor could go in a ford ,does it still run ...I hope you have better luck then I did ,I put a corvair spyder turbo in my VW bug the big problem is the VW motor turn clock ways and the corvair turn counter clock ways , so I had 4speed in reverse and 1 speed forward..

Old 08-08-2008, 08:53 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it easy on the new guy...

Don't be so hard on this guy... After all, 90 percent of all chevy trucks are still on the road... The other 10 percent made it back home.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timboy; WELCOME; Glad to have another DARKSIDER to the board. Sometimes it can get kinda touchy here. Just keep it under the hood and ask Q's about everything else on the truck and you'll be just fine. From one darksider to another welcome. RUSTY

Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=bobbytnm;6429707]Timboy,

I myself have cross contaminated my truck. I'm running a big 500ci Caddy engine. I have parts on my truck from all the major manufacture and rangine from the 1940's all the way up through 2005. I have Buick, Caddy, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Toyota as well as parts from the marine industry and the local hardware store. The hardware store parts range from toilet seat parts to elecrical conduit sweeps.

Geez Bobby! The only thing your missing is a Hybrid!

BTW- For those of you who didn't know it, my 56 is now a Hybrid truck.
"Burns gas and rubber"

Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
timboy
Junior User
Thanks everybody for the encouragement. My truck has been sitting idol for a few years and it's time to pay some attention to it before it's too late. It is sometimes overwhelming at all the tasks you have to learn to restore or alter for an end result that's going to look good and function well. Gotta mow the lawn first this morning, then make a plan of attack on the garage and my truck. I've got to stick to it this time.

The smoke from all the fires around here is gone but they're not all out yet. We lost 9 fire fighters in a helicopter crash a few days ago. 4 survivors. They were all from Oregon. Pray for their families and coworkers.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
timboy
Junior User
I meant idle not idol.........duh!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Welcome to the forums Timboy.

As far as I am concerned I think it's great that you have saved some old iron from the scrapper. Not everyone has the time or resources to track down all the original parts, that is the ones that still are made or exist, and used what you had instead of scrapping it. It would be a very boring place this world of ours if everyone was exactly the same and did everything exactly the same. What would be the point in having an imagination otherwsie?

Run what you brung, raise a few eyebrows, have a laugh or two and ignore the ones who try and make you feel less than you are for daring to have an imagination.

Take Care!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by timboy
The smoke from all the fires around here is gone but they're not all out yet. We lost 9 fire fighters in a helicopter crash a few days ago. 4 survivors. They were all from Oregon. Pray for their families and coworkers.
Where exactly is do you live?

If you go to "User CP" at the top of the forum page, click on it, the "Edit Profile" then go to the bottom of that page and fill in "Where I live", that location will show in your post headers.

Welcome to FTE

Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome Timboy, come on in and join the insanity we call old trucks
Don't worry about the folks who say there should be nothing in a Ford but a Ford, it is your truck, build it like you want it. I am the one mentioned that put a Mercedes diesel in my 53, but I don't ask question about that swap here. Keep on working on it and you'll be driving before you know it.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
Just because you can do something, dosen't mean that you should!!! IMHO

Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Welcome to the Dark Side and welcome to the FTE Forum. You have come to the right place, these guys have a ton of knowledge on these trucks and have all helped me out immensely with my build. I think as long as you don't come right out and ask a direct question regarding your transplant, they will let you alone, but ask a simple question about a Chev component.........
Welcome again and remember that one nice thing about the dark side is that we have COOKIES!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It's better than putting a Toyota engine in it... pretty soon those are going to start showing up, Tundra and Titan motors in American iron.... That's where I draw the line.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Coem on guys, you're going to scare the lad.

Its not as bad as they make it sound. You won't have a problem on this site. We are a friendly bunch. You'll notice this forum isn't like most of the others out there. For starters you don't see alot of foul language, sure, you might get an occasional cuss word now and again but for the most part this is a family site without any of the foul language mean spirited "flaming".
I wouldn't be afraid to ask any question at all. Ford truck related or not. Technically we aren't supposed to discuss the details of installing off brand products into our trucks. I think we get a bit more leeway than other sections of this site for a couple of reasons; 1, the older trucks tend to get customized alot more than late model stuff, and 2, so far we have managed to keep the discussions civil.

Personally, I don't care what manufacturer made what part. If I need it and it will work, then I'll use it. Most of the components on cars have been contracted out to others and its not uncommon for the major manufacturers to share brands....Saginaw, Bendix, Federal-Mogul, Spicer, etc (and there's tons more that we don't know about that build seat belts, injection molded plastic components, mouldings, light housings, etc).

Now that we have that all straightened out, where are the pics!!!!! There's nothing we like more that to look at pics of the other guys project. They can be a great source of motivation, so, get some pics loaded. If you have troubles with it there is a stickied thread at the top of the page that is a great help in getting things set up and working.

Bobby

Old 08-08-2008, 02:05 PM
timboy
Junior User
That wouldn't surprise me at all. They're doing well in nascar ...in all the series truck nationwide and cup. So look around for some toyota fords in the car shows and other forums. I'm using the chevy engine and trans because that's what I had available to me. I have the flathead yet and want to keep it. I also have a 52 for panel with no engine,trans or front sheet metal. I seem to be a collector of rust.

Search this Thread