1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake dust shield

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Brake dust shield

Has anyone had a problem with their dust shields rotting? It's more than likely a northern states problem.
I was hearing a scraping sound just like when dust or debris gets caught in between the dust shield and the rotor. When I finally got the rotor off I saw the parking brake pad retainer pin had pulled through the dust shield because the hole had rotted enough to pull it through. The sound I heard was the pad going a little cockeyed and resting against the rotor. I couldn't believe it on a three year old truck. Luckily nothing got wedged and ripped apart. What a mess that could have been... Now I need to pick up a new shield and hardware kit. I'm probably just going to knock out both sides. I'm figuring they used cheap steel. That combined with the salt in the winter... Only one place has the kit that I could find. I didn't ask, but I'm hoping they have the dust shields too.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
vlietracer64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
Has anyone had a problem with their dust shields rotting? It's more than likely a northern states problem.
I was hearing a scraping sound just like when dust or debris gets caught in between the dust shield and the rotor. When I finally got the rotor off I saw the parking brake pad retainer pin had pulled through the dust shield because the hole had rotted enough to pull it through. The sound I heard was the pad going a little cockeyed and resting against the rotor. I couldn't believe it on a three year old truck. Luckily nothing got wedged and ripped apart. What a mess that could have been... Now I need to pick up a new shield and hardware kit. I'm probably just going to knock out both sides. I'm figuring they used cheap steel. That combined with the salt in the winter... Only one place has the kit that I could find. I didn't ask, but I'm hoping they have the dust shields too.
I ordered a set of ART rotors and pads for my 04 f250, tonight i ripped all 4 tires off and when i got to the back to replace the rotors and pads i have noticed the pins for the parking brake pad had ripped through the metal on one side and when i touched the other one it just pushed through like it was a piece of paper. I also live in the northern states. NY.. I am hoping i can go to the dealer tomorrow and they will have them in stock seeing how i am sure i am not the first one in the area to need them. After tearing the rear end aappart to get the shield off i could not believe it most of the shield was rotted away. Anyone know how tight the wheel bearing retaing nut is susposed to be?????? I also have to replace the seal on the inside of the hub, ripped on the way off, prob. not a bad thing to replace them. just turned 70,000 miles.
Thanks,
Peter G.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Hey Peter, how did you make out? Was it really necessary to pull the rear end apart to change the shields? I haven't done it yet, but I'm getting ready to.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
vlietracer64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made out good. i had to replace both shields, which sucked becuase each side was about $200.00 per side. Ford dose not sell just the shield, it comes with the backer plate and new bolts. The backer plate bolts to the axle and holds the caliper. The plates also came with new e-brake shoes and hardware installed so i just had to bolt them up and hook up the e-brake cable and all set. To install the plates you have to remove the center axle, the wheel bearing and then pull the whole hub assembly off of the axle spindle, then you can remove the plate. Wheel bearings looked good so i reused them but i did have to replace the inner grease\oil seal. Both sides ripped during removal which i guess is pretty common. Reassembled everything torqued the wheel bearings and all is well.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Ouch! $200 bones for a dust shield? I know it comes with more, but dang... And you know its just going to rot away again. Hmmm, might have to look into engineering something different...
I wonder what the body warranty is on our trucks. Usually there's a little longer warranty on rot etc. I wonder if this would be covered? I'm going to have to check it out.
Thanks for the heads up and glad it turned out well for you.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
bart f-350
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello to all,

what about if you give these shields a hot galva dip?

I.e. go to a shop where they galvanise things as streetlampposts, garbage containers etc.
and ask if they can galvanise your shields too, probably won't ask the world to give them a dip, ald it last for ages!!!

good luck, Bart

Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Some kind of treatment would be good. Maybe even powdercoat. I have to see if I can do something about the small amount of rot on the ones I have right now first. It wasn't too bad, but bad enough where it pulled through. Hopefully it's localized. I can't remember. I'd like to just weld them and then treat. I'm having a hard time with $400 for dustshields...