1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

brakes - pass or play?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
brakes - pass or play?

I have a 2001 F150 4.6L supercab with approximately 125K miles. Absolutely a great truck with no issues and owned it since I drove it off the lot new. I expect to enjoy it for many more years to come. I think the pads on the front brakes need replacing - the rears were done 20k ago at a local tire dealer (fronts too but not as recently). Is replacing the front pads something I should attempt. I have enough tools and knowledge to get myself in trouble but who of us doesn't. I'm somewhat handy but by no means an engineer. Is this somethiing I should tackle or leave to the dealer?

PS. I'm just talking about pad replacement if that is all there is to it. If I was definitely having brake issues and problems I would certainly let the pros do it.

Thanks,

Old 07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy job, just take your time and only do one side at a time, that way you can look at the other side for reference if needed. Just block the tires and jack up the front end (use jackstands don't depend on the jack). Take off the wheel and there are two bolts to take off the caliper. Slide off the caliper and hang it out of the way with a bungee cord, don't let it hang by the hose. You need to resurface the rotors or replace them. (If you don't resurface/replace the rotors, chances are you'll have problems down the line.) To take off the rotor, carefull pry off the dust cap on the spindle and remove the cotter pin and nut. Open the master cylinder (or open the bleeder valve on the caliper) and use a C-clamp and the old brake pad to compress the caliper piston. Install the new pads and put the rotor back on. Repeat on other side and then bleed the brakes.

Here is an article with some pics
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...2003_F150.html

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
most auto parts stores can cut the rotors on a brake lathe...they will have to measure the rotor first to make sure it is within specs

slapping pads....means just replacing the brake pads without servicing the rotors....I dont recommend doing that...

Mark

Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I'll admit it, I've "slapped" pads occassionally. If the rotor is fairly clean - meaning no groves in it - and I am going to use a high quality metallic pad, then I would consider just slapping on the new pads and going for it. If the rotor has lots of wear or deep groves, then you have to turn it or replace it. I haven't experienced problems with the "slapped" pads, but maybe I'm just very lucky.

Be careful when you push the piston back in as it tends to push fluid back up into the master cylinder. If you have topped off the fluid recently because the pads were getting low, then it has a tendency to come spilling out. It is bad stuff to get on paint and other items. I used my wife's turkey baster to suck some out last time... that caused a whole other list of problems - with my wife (Thanksgiving day, lots of relatives, and she says, "Where's the turkey baster?")

Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mjunk1
I used my wife's turkey baster to suck some out last time... that caused a whole other list of problems - with my wife (Thanksgiving day, lots of relatives, and she says, "Where's the turkey baster?")
Hope you said "Oh Honey I haven't seen it " and didn't go grab it from your tool box. 'Course depending on your relationship with the relatives a little brake fluid in the turkey might be acceptable!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Moore FOMOCO
Senior User
You've got 125K + and haven't r&r'd yet! DANG.... if you've did the rear the front shouldn'y be that bad. I can change mine in shorter time than doing an oil change, of course pads only on a 2wd. It's still cheaper than a (nother) truck payment!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let me clarify. I haven't done the brakes myself (front or rear) before. They have always been done at the dealership. The rears were done at 98k but the front were not done at that time and I'm not sure when they were done but they have been done. I'm not that hard on brakes but I don't get 100k between brake jobs.

As far as just replacing pads versus having the rotors turned, I thought the rotors needed to be turned only after they had been grooved or damaged in some way. Sounds like my recollection on that one is not accurate. Still not convinced I need to try it. Please continue with the encouragement. I don't have a truck payment but that doesn't mean I don't want to keep my $$.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Moore FOMOCO
Senior User
USUALLY... if they still have that matted finish not glossy is good for pads only. But it really sounds like you take care of your stuff, it's your call.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Bobby82490
Posting Guru
I didnt turn the rotors on my truck when i replaced the front pads when i got it, mostly because they werent warped or glazed. Im going to replace the front pads again in a few weeks, and probably wont turn them then either.
Also if you have a 2wd and go to get the rotors surfaced.. it would be a good time to clean and repack the wheel bearings.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
The pads and rotors are working together, doesn't it make sense to service them as such? It only costs about $20 to get the rotors resurfaced (if still within specs to be done). At least get them checked.