1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Emissions - do you guys take your chip/tuners out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions - do you guys take your chip/tuners out?

So, went and wasted a bunch of money yesterday and got my yearly emissions done so I could pay my $150 for my license plate renewal (yes, Colorado is an expensive place to live).

Anyway, I went and got my E test like always, except this time the lady said I barely passed, and next time she wants me to take my chip out before I come in.

Says on my little sheet of paper that at 60MPH, I am at 22% opacity, 50MPH at 16% opacity, and 40MPH 12% opacity.

Just curious for all of the rest of you who are forced to go take these tests, whether or not you take your programmers/chips out before you go, and how well your trucks pass?

I don't have a cat, either, just the shell of one. I'm pretty sure I passed well last year, so I am concerned that the truck is running dirtier since last year, which you all know can point to problems or the beginning of problems. Wondering if my results are in line with the rest of you.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't know anything about emissions tests since we don't have them down here, but is the opacity test just for smoke, or does it measure particulate matter, NOx, etc?

I would get on the throttle a bit before the test to clear out the tail pipe so to speak, then double up on additive or run biodiesel to cut back on the smoke before the next test.

I'm curious to hear others responses on this.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lisa, I have the same emissions test that you do. This year was a tad higher due to my fuel pump dying on me. I think I reached 12% opacity running on the stock tune.

Last two years before that I was at 6%-8% max, with one of those years I tested on the DP-Tuner 40hp tow setting. Can't really test on that setting anymore since the fueling and ICP are a bit more aggressive now from the live tuning session. It'll burp a bit of smoke until the turbo lights up.

22% isn't bad for having the Hypermax in there. I don't think you fail until you reach 35%. At least that's what I was told, so you should be just fine. However, if it's a lot higher than last year, and you are running the exact same mods, then something might be up.

Chris, the diesel emissions test here in CO only measures opacity. They don't care what's in your smoke, as long as there isn't too much of it.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Smokin'

Says on my little sheet of paper that at 60MPH, I am at 22% opacity, 50MPH at 16% opacity, and 40MPH 12% opacity.
Thanks Chris and Curtis. Ok I dug out my test from last year.

It says 14% opacity at 60MPH, 16% opacity at 50MPH, and 15% opacity at 40MPH.

a jump from 14% to 22%, should I be worried about that? I haven't changed much..all in the past year have just been maintenance issues, and idler pulley and a starter I think.

I did ask the lady if she sees significant results when people come in running biodiesel, and she did say there is a noticeable difference, of maybe 10% depending on the blend.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just wanted to add myself to this thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How long and hard did you run it before you did test? I know when Mi. had to test, if we got something in that was driven straight to the shop, it could possible fail, so we would suggest a run down the expressway and retest, with much better results.. In other words, was your motor up to temp, did you take a 10+mile ride before you tested, were you forced to idel for a bit?

Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
That kind of a jump without any other modifications...... there's a possibility of something going on, or it could even be attributed to quality of fuel, maintenance (such as how dirty your oil and your fuel filter are compared to last year when you tested), and so on. One thing I'm noticing, the jump is only on the 60 mph, and not the others. I'm betting that's just the operator and the throttle position at the time the snapshot was taken.

Does the truck run different? If you are seeing a drop in performance or mileage, then that would be a bigger indicator than a smog test. Probably not a good idea to rely on smog tests for diagnostics.

Hey Lisa, OT but are you going to do live tuning next month with Jody? I wasn't sure if you signed up for it or not. If not, you could at least stop by Tom's house and say hello if ya want!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by just another truck
How long and hard did you run it before you did test? I know when Mi. had to test, if we got something in that was driven straight to the shop, it could possible fail, so we would suggest a run down the expressway and retest, with much better results.. In other words, was your motor up to temp, did you take a 10+mile ride before you tested, were you forced to idel for a bit?
I did have to wait in line, but I shut the truck down. I restarted and drove into the bay and we tested from there. Just a short 10 minute drive on backstreets to get to the shop.

Originally Posted by Pocket
One thing I'm noticing, the jump is only on the 60 mph, and not the others. I'm betting that's just the operator and the throttle position at the time the snapshot was taken.

Does the truck run different? If you are seeing a drop in performance or mileage, then that would be a bigger indicator than a smog test. Probably not a good idea to rely on smog tests for diagnostics.

Hey Lisa, OT but are you going to do live tuning next month with Jody? I wasn't sure if you signed up for it or not. If not, you could at least stop by Tom's house and say hello if ya want!
Truck runs the same, I haven't noticed any difference. Just thought i'd ask, I never paid much attention to the tests before this.

I haven't signed up for live tuning, but, I can see if I can make the time to stop and meet some of you. When is it?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lisa, I am betting you were not up to temp yet...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Live tuning is July 25-27, and Truck Fest is the weekend before. You going to Truck Fest too?????? (I'm like that devil on your shoulder, aren't I...)

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Start running DIPETANE in fuel, it will take about 6,000 miles but you will see a big improvement.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Pocket
Live tuning is July 25-27, and Truck Fest is the weekend before. You going to Truck Fest too?????? (I'm like that devil on your shoulder, aren't I...)
LOL. Well it must be crowded over on that shoulder, with all of the other little devils that tell me to do things.

I have missed truck fest the past two years, so I really do want to go to that this year. Pending nothing big happens, i'll definitely make truck fest.

& thanks for the tip Pat. I waited for nearly an hour, and the truck sat, so I hadn't thought about that, it probably cooled off a bit while sitting there. There was this little POS Volkswagen pickup pup lookin truck that wouldn't pass, so the poor gal kept re-testing the poor thing trying to get it to pass. The black smoke coming out of that lil 4 cyl would rival the smoke you guys make on your race settings. Shoulda seen the blowby on that sucker.

The guy with the VW saw my truck and started asking questions, said he had a 7.3 he's been having problems with lately...showed him what I knew and had the opportunity to spread some FTE knowledge, so it wasn't all for not.

Just thought i'd add...truck weighs in at exactly 8,800 lbs, without me or anything else in it, 1/4 tank fuel.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Lisa, we don't have testing here but across the river(Delaware River) in NJ. i think they do for all vehicles. I been pulled over with my big truck(TT) over there and they have DOT inspections for emission,s where they put the probe in the stack to check for excessive smoke. Just felt like telling a story,lol.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
I have missed truck fest the past two years, so I really do want to go to that this year. Pending nothing big happens, i'll definitely make truck fest.
I'm going to try real hard to make Truck Fest too. I haven't been to the track at all this year, so I need to get my speed fix. Maybe this time I'll stay long enough to compete.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can definitely say that the smoke goes from black to a medium gray when running 100% soy BD, and that's on a very aggresive tune. IMHO, you'll pass with flying colors running it in a stock tune. But I would go back an see if there's something causing the jump at the one test level. Maybe a loose boot??? But then again, it could just be the temp thing...

Good luck with the tuning, and have fun at the 'fest!!!

Quick Reply: Emissions - do you guys take your chip/tuners out?