The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Reload this Page >

The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
Still got it on the 4x2's on 3/4 and 1ton trucks...

Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
DMAX-HD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
I think Ford currently has the best suspension in a HD 4X4, no question. But, I think the GM HD frame is stiffer. It kills ground clearance though.
This is about the most realistic answer I've seen so far.

When measured frame depth on an 08 Chevy HD 2500 vs an 08 Ford F250 the HD had a deeper frame.

The Ford owes it increased capacity to the solid front axle.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
How thick is the GM's frame?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Good question - I don't know.

I would think that depth would be the primary characteristic in measuring perpendicular or shear strength though.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
Perpendicular strength - cross sectional area is your primary concern.
Shear Strength - width and thickness of the upper and lower cross sections of the C-Channel (And their distance from the center of the channel).

Old 07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
This is about the most realistic answer I've seen so far.

When measured frame depth on an 08 Chevy HD 2500 vs an 08 Ford F250 the HD had a deeper frame.

The Ford owes it increased capacity to the solid front axle.
GM HD frames bend like a wet noodle, Im constantly pulling them after they have been in a minor wreck, or because they bottomed out the low front crossmember offroading. The rear section seems to be pretty stiff. They still dont even compare to a superduty frame, I dont care what the frame depth measures or how much boxing or ect. The steel on the GM frames seems to be very soft, and they bend very easily, just like the rest of the truck.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by a-rod View Post
GM HD frames bend like a wet noodle, Im constantly pulling them after they have been in a minor wreck, or because they bottomed out the low front crossmember offroading. The rear section seems to be pretty stiff. They still dont even compare to a superduty frame, I dont care what the frame depth measures or how much boxing or ect. The steel on the GM frames seems to be very soft, and they bend very easily, just like the rest of the truck.
Softer steel? Could be. I am not an alchemist - so I can not say either way. I'm sure your right though.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Couldn't prove it by me. Both Ford and GM use 36,000# HSLA steel in their HD frames. It is true that the front ends of the GM frames will get damaged in front end collisions. The repair procedure is to cut off the ends and weld new ones on. The only full size pickups that I see that seem to need frame work often are 1997-2003 F-150's. And on those it is always a hard 'T-bone' to the front wheels. Control arms are stiffer than the frame.......

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
92f150I6 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
. Control arms are stiffer than the frame.......
I bet that may be a reason why the 04's and up have aluminum A-arms

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Couldn't prove it by me. Both Ford and GM use 36,000# HSLA steel in their HD frames. It is true that the front ends of the GM frames will get damaged in front end collisions. The repair procedure is to cut off the ends and weld new ones on. The only full size pickups that I see that seem to need frame work often are 1997-2003 F-150's. And on those it is always a hard 'T-bone' to the front wheels. Control arms are stiffer than the frame.......

The weak spot on them is in the firewall area where the frame curves, I dont think theres a procedure for changing this section of the frame, The cut and replace section is only at the very front of the frame, Ive changed plenty of those as well. The control arms often bend the frame in on the GMs as well. Plus the weak ball joints are always ripping out.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
The control arms often bend the frame in on the GMs as well. Plus the weak ball joints are always ripping out.
I'm guessing they are made of plastic. Probably a weaker plastic then Ford I'm guess'en

Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Im not just trying to rag on GMs, I used to be a die-hard chevy man and I still am into the old GM trucks and cars, Im just dissapointed in the way they build these new GM trucks, I had a 2004 GMC and was constantly bending or breaking something with the IFS, I use and abuse my trucks so I need something tough, which is why I went with a superduty. I pull frames for a living so I sorta understand which frames are tougher than others, Ive pulled plenty of superduty frames and could show you the exact weak spot on them as well, but from what Ive seen they hold up much better than a GM HD frame, it also takes alot more pressure to pulll a bent superduty frame.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not to get off topic or anything like that. But in sled pulling. The GM trucks are always having giref with there front ends. Tie rods. Idler arms. If its not one thing its another. A buddy off mine is diehard Gm guy an admits solid front axle is the only way to go on these trucks. Hes a sled puller an is thinking off ditching the IFS to go to a solid front axle. Its still my opinion Ford is tops when it comes to build quality. They just have a more solid built truck period. Nothing against the GM trucks but Fords are built tougher for work an abuse. Like one off my buddies said. I want a truck to go a cross a cornfield at 50 MPH an not have to worry about the truck falling apart. He said only Fords will hold up to that abuse. A friend off mine has a 2005 Superduty. He overloads that thing everyday. One day I was at his place an he had a huge load off round bales on that truck. I said man your overloaded. Nah Im fine he said. I do this all the time. Its a Ford no problem. I said OK looking for one day the truck breaks in half or something goes major wrong with it. He also has a Chevy in the yard a 98 1 ton model. Hes had about everything go wrong with that truck that could go wrong. Tranny,clutch,front end. He said its a nice truck when it runs but it just cant take any kind off hard use. Hes looking for another good Ford to replace that Chevy. Hey now this is just my 2 cents for what its worth. So take it or leave it. Sorry if I riled any off the GM fans up. Its not my intention to cause any controversy just stating opinion.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
I'm guessing they are made of plastic. Probably a weaker plastic then Ford I'm guess'en
The problem with GM HD ball joints is not the joint itself. The problem is the upper joint comming loose from the upper control arm. The joint is pressed in, and under certian extream conditions it can come loose, PARTICULARLY IF THE TRUCK HAS A LIFT KIT! Some of the lift kits are poorly designed and put too much stress on the upper joint. The ball joints on the GM HD's can be greased, unlike the plastic-lined joints that Ford uses. Never seen a GM joint wear out yet.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
92f150I6 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Never seen a GM joint wear out yet.
Just GM HD ball joints right? S10's are horrible on ball joints. and I have seen complete failure on a few 1500 series ball joints. Fords ball joints.....they straight up suck. My f250s were junk in 19K miles and I constantly have to replace Explorer and f150 (97-2003) ball joints. Dont know if the 0'4 up are any better, but I havent had to replace one of them yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.