Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
I think Ford might have a little catching up to do. I have been told that in addition to the 2011 GM HD's frame being fully boxed, it is made from 60,000 psi steel. That will make for a very stiff and strong chassis. For comparison, the Super Duty C-channel frame is made from 36,000 psi steel. GM has also upgraded the front suspension on the 2011 HD's so now it has the same maximum capacity as the Super Duty (6,000 lbs.). The 2009 GM HD front suspension capacity was only 4,500 lbs.. The front differential, CV joints, and drive shafts are also much stronger than last year. I think the Super Duty will still have an advantage in front ground clearance with its SFA, but I don't think it is any stronger. It will be interesting to see how Ford will match the new GM HD's in the next generation Super Duty. I believe the next GM HD (due in 2013) will use the new 2011 chassis and suspension.
I think the GM frame is higher off the ground as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM
hammerhead90
Elder User
I think Ford might have a little catching up to do. I have been told that in addition to the 2011 GM HD's frame being fully boxed, it is made from 60,000 psi steel. That will make for a very stiff and strong chassis. For comparison, the Super Duty C-channel frame is made from 36,000 psi steel. GM has also upgraded the front suspension on the 2011 HD's so now it has the same maximum capacity as the Super Duty (6,000 lbs.). The 2009 GM HD front suspension capacity was only 4,500 lbs.. The front differential, CV joints, and drive shafts are also much stronger than last year. I think the Super Duty will still have an advantage in front ground clearance with its SFA, but I don't think it is any stronger. It will be interesting to see how Ford will match the new GM HD's in the next generation Super Duty. I believe the next GM HD (due in 2013) will use the new 2011 chassis and suspension.
A fully boxed frame is fine and dandy on a 1/2 ton, but on a 3/4 or bigger it changes things. A C-channel frame is easier to change around. So they keep the C-channel for the chassis cab trucks since they're more modular. Plus the SD can still tow more. What more could you want?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Find this information:

Ford was ask a direct question as to why they didn't box the Superduty frame:

"The Boxed frame design was intended for ride comfort and the f150 is the truck for that.The Superduty is our work truck, a Boxed frame, though strong and rigid, has a higher chance to crack around the welds if loaded with too much weight. An open C channel frame is more able to bare the weigh because the less rigidness of a C channel frame can absorb the distortion."

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
Find this information:

"The Boxed frame design was intended for ride comfort and the f150 is the truck for that.The Superduty is our work truck, a Boxed frame, though strong and rigid, has a higher chance to crack around the welds if loaded with too much weight. An open C channel frame is more able to bare the weigh because the less rigidness of a C channel frame can absorb the distortion."

Big rigs use C-channel, they haul a buttload more than a superduty.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
Find this information:

You wouldn't expect Ford to admit the competition has a better design, do you? I wouldn't expect GM to admit it either. A quality weld is stronger than a bolt or a rivet every time. And, you are far more likely to have a crack around a bolt or rivet hole than a weld. Not to mention 60,000 psi steel is stronger than 36,000 psi steel. As far as rigidness is concerned, yes, a C-channel is more prone to bending than a boxed beam. The advantage of a C-channel frame is cost and ease of mounting aftermarket bodies. GM HD cab-chassis models will use a C-channel frame behind the cab to facilitate aftermarket body mounting. Now, before you go thinking the Super Duty has a junk frame, consider this: The current Super Duty basically has the same chassis, except for the front suspension, that a 1999 model has. The 2011 GM HD's have a brand new chassis. The Super Duty chassis was the benchmark for the last 11 years, but now the competition has raised the bar a bit. I think Ford will have a chassis equal to or better than the new GM HD's in the next generation Super Duty. And, don't be surprised if it is boxed!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
And over the years, I have seen loads of them bust! C-channel frames make sense for commercial trucks where aftermarket bodies and 5th. wheel hitches will be mounted. BTW- what sort of chassis do those large strip-mining trucks use?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Well I don't see any advantage in Ford frame vs Chevy,because Chevy can do a same job like Ford,plus such like it design for better ride I think a Boxed frame has a more advantage over a C channel.Maybe I'm wrong....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
Indeed. Also take note how much the frame twists from the torque on a class 8 truck. If class 8 trucks had full boxed frames I'd say they would crack them in short order.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dkf
Indeed. Also take note how much the frame twists from the torque on a class 8 truck. If class 8 trucks had full boxed frames I'd say they would crack them in short order.
Oh, yeah. I have seen those bad boys really twist.

really though. I really don't see the advantage of the Gm having a boxed frame. The superduty frame is pretty dang strong. Though the steel used is supposed to be stronger on the GM, what is the actual thickness in comparison? Because the stronger steel means nothing if it isnt thick enough

Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Hello,

sorry to digg this out, but i think those discussions about frame designs are always extremely interesting, since the frame is THE basic part of a truck!

I got quite the interesting answers about those really heavy duty ford trucks the 550's etc. which of course use c-channel frames.

But when it comes to the weight class of 12000lbs and below, it seems like boxed frames can be quite interesting.

2 completely different examples:

This is the Frame of an HMMWV with increased capacity, so we are talkin about a truck that's able to carry 12000lbs OFF ROAD so there's quite a bit of bending and twisting, but the frame is still boxed, in fact it got increased by a thir layer. Sadly i not know the dimensions of those frame rail components, from the looks i'd say its around 7" in height, 2.5" in the widh and the material thickness maybe around 0.280.

Of course the Hummer is a really expensive military design and it uses independant suspension, but what about the Toyota HZJ 79?

Its proven may times in Australia, that it is able to carry a gvw of 10.000lbs , again OFFROAD!

It got two axles like the ford super duty, coil in frot, leaf in rear so pretty much the same.

It uses a weldet boxed frame, the outer c profile has 5.7" in height , 2" in widh and the thickness is 0.200, the inner profile has of course pretty much the same measurements, but only 0.120 in thickness.

How does this compare to the F-150 hydroformed boxed frame, anyone got the numbers?

Or to the Cheyv HD or Ram HD frames, which should be at least this strong if not stronger.

Greetings

Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you who live in the snow belt, have you even seen what happens to a GM frame when you put a big V-plow on it? Those stiff boxed frames crack pretty easily. With all the shock loading from snow plowing, something has to give. The weak IFS sucks for plowing, they eat parts like crazy. For a real work truck, Ford Super Duty hands down takes my vote; Ram would be a close second.
John

Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
For those of you who live in the snow belt, have you even seen what happens to a GM frame when you put a big V-plow on it? Those stiff boxed frames crack pretty easily. With all the shock loading from snow plowing, something has to give. The weak IFS sucks for plowing, they eat parts like crazy. For a real work truck, Ford Super Duty hands down takes my vote; Ram would be a close second.
John
I have seen the 1988-2000 GM trucks with cracked frames behind the control arms from plowing, but never a newer one.

A lot of guys are saying the 2011-up GM HD's are the best for plowing. Very strong chassis and front suspension, though it still doesn't have the ground clearance of a Super Duty.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:20 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Now Ford Superduty use boxed frame instead of c-channel...

same like Chevy/Dodge ?

WHAT ??? - http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1509-...es-super-duty/

1. Fully Boxed High-Strength Steel Frame
"We know, General Motors has had a fully boxed frame in its HD trucks for some time now.
That the previous-generation Super Duty was able to compete using a C-channel frame is impressive in its own right.
However, Ford is bringing the frame fight to GM’s front door with the 2017 Super Duty’s boxed frame,
comprised of 95 percent high-strength steel."

Why c-channel is gone ?

Old 06-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Yeah its gonna be interesting to see what happens with the next Ram HD. Right now the Ford Profile is way bigger and stronger compared to Dodge, and still a bit bigger and stronger compared to the boxed GM Frame from 2011. We will see if Dodge is going to built an even stronger frame, or if this cold-war arms-race will come to an end.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
You wouldn't expect Ford to admit the competition has a better design, do you? I wouldn't expect GM to admit it either. A quality weld is stronger than a bolt or a rivet every time. And, you are far more likely to have a crack around a bolt or rivet hole than a weld. Not to mention 60,000 psi steel is stronger than 36,000 psi steel. As far as rigidness is concerned, yes, a C-channel is more prone to bending than a boxed beam. The advantage of a C-channel frame is cost and ease of mounting aftermarket bodies. GM HD cab-chassis models will use a C-channel frame behind the cab to facilitate aftermarket body mounting. Now, before you go thinking the Super Duty has a junk frame, consider this: The current Super Duty basically has the same chassis, except for the front suspension, that a 1999 model has. The 2011 GM HD's have a brand new chassis. The Super Duty chassis was the benchmark for the last 11 years, but now the competition has raised the bar a bit. I think Ford will have a chassis equal to or better than the new GM HD's in the next generation Super Duty. And, don't be surprised if it is boxed!
So, what is your explanation now?

Ford use boxed frame on Superduty line - http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1509-...es-super-duty/

Quick Reply: The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?