The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Reload this Page >

The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 92f150I6 View Post
Just GM HD ball joints right? S10's are horrible on ball joints. and I have seen complete failure on a few 1500 series ball joints. Fords ball joints.....they straight up suck. My f250s were junk in 19K miles and I constantly have to replace Explorer and f150 (97-2003) ball joints. Dont know if the 0'4 up are any better, but I havent had to replace one of them yet.
Yes! Seen a lot of 4X4 S-10 ball joints wear out.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
builtfordtough13
Posting Guru
builtfordtough13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 94 F-150 ball joints are still orignal and just barely needing to be replaced and I have 156,0000 miles on it.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
DMAX-HD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 150ford View Post
Not to get off topic or anything like that. But in sled pulling. The GM trucks are always having giref with there front ends. Tie rods. Idler arms. If its not one thing its another. A buddy off mine is diehard Gm guy an admits solid front axle is the only way to go on these trucks. Hes a sled puller an is thinking off ditching the IFS to go to a solid front axle. Its still my opinion Ford is tops when it comes to build quality. They just have a more solid built truck period. Nothing against the GM trucks but Fords are built tougher for work an abuse. Like one off my buddies said. I want a truck to go a cross a cornfield at 50 MPH an not have to worry about the truck falling apart. He said only Fords will hold up to that abuse. A friend off mine has a 2005 Superduty. He overloads that thing everyday. One day I was at his place an he had a huge load off round bales on that truck. I said man your overloaded. Nah Im fine he said. I do this all the time. Its a Ford no problem. I said OK looking for one day the truck breaks in half or something goes major wrong with it. He also has a Chevy in the yard a 98 1 ton model. Hes had about everything go wrong with that truck that could go wrong. Tranny,clutch,front end. He said its a nice truck when it runs but it just cant take any kind off hard use. Hes looking for another good Ford to replace that Chevy. Hey now this is just my 2 cents for what its worth. So take it or leave it. Sorry if I riled any off the GM fans up. Its not my intention to cause any controversy just stating opinion.
I've always enjoyed your fictional tales of jibberish. Let me try:

"I have a buddy who's got an uncle that knows a guy that has a 1732 Chevy truck and drives it acrooss a corn field every day going about 100 mpg and has never had a problem. This same guy bought brand new Ford truck and he hit a pot-hole and ther frame twisted and the ball-joints fell out."

The only thing I think this thread has established is:
1) Ford and GM frames are made from the same steel.
2) GM's frame is deeper.
3) The ball joints on both stink.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
FordF350Superduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wouldnt want to argue with the bodyshop guy. He seems to work on these trucks everyday an has experience with both. An the rivalry continues. But solid front axle is definitly built for more punishment then IFS. I am sure most people would agree on that. Im glad Ford did it right IFS on half tons. Solid front axle on HD trucks. I

Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
So,if Ford make best frame and chassis,what Dodge (for example) don't have what have Ford?Is it so big differents beween them?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
dodges arent too bad, they have the fully boxed (hydroformed) frame from front to back, Ive had to straighten a few of them that were pretty bend up front, I give dodge a number 2 spot behind ford

Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by a-rod View Post
dodges arent too bad, they have the fully boxed (hydroformed) frame from front to back, Ive had to straighten a few of them that were pretty bend up front, I give dodge a number 2 spot behind ford
Here YouTube - Ford Challenge: Ford Likes Their Box-Like Frame I see Ford have a boxed frame,and its best,so Dodge have boxed frame too,and this is bad?Where is true?And you give Dodge number 2 spot behind Ford?I don't understend you.If boxed frames is best,so Dodge still have best frame (and Ford F150),because its boxed frame.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Lead Head
Post Fiend
Lead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to allLead Head is a name known to all
Your not making any sense. There is more to a frame then whether it is boxed or not. Things like how thick the metal is, how the metal is formed, what kind of metal, how crossmembers and things are connected to it, and a bit more.

Think like buying a wrench. You can choose between two wrenches, both are 1/2" drive, and have 14" handles, both are ratchets. One costs $20 and weighs 3 lbs, while the other costs $3 and weighs .5 lbs. Which one are you more likely to choose?

In this case, the ford frame is the heavier more expensive frame.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.a-rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty View Post
Here YouTube - Ford Challenge: Ford Likes Their Box-Like Frame I see Ford have a boxed frame,and its best,so Dodge have boxed frame too,and this is bad?Where is true?And you give Dodge number 2 spot behind Ford?I don't understend you.If boxed frames is best,so Dodge still have best frame (and Ford F150),because its boxed frame.
It really doesnt matter whether its boxed or not, it comes down to the thickness and quality of the metal. I think the whole boxing thing is way over rated. I know theres benefits to it but not when they use thin soft metal. Superduty frames are thick and hard to bend, take a hammer to a superduty frame and then go to a GM HD frame, theres a clear difference. This also goes with the F-150 compared to the chevy half ton frame. I am actually real impressed with the F-150 frames, they seem very stiff. But It Also depends on the curves in the frames, A superduty frame is extremely straight from front to back, (as well as F-150) A GM frame slopes down at a pretty good angle at the firewall then slopes back up behind the cab, and these are the places they bend. Also like just mentioned cross-members help out alot, and dodge definatly slacked off in that department. Overall I think dodge frames are decent, There weak when it comes to side hits, but decent in front or rear hits. Dodge bodys are weak, but they always have been... And now Chevy jumped on that boat with there new body style...

If I didnt spend everyday of my life working on and underneath these trucks and getting to see how they really bend and how hard they are to straighten I would keep my mouth shut. But unfortuatly fixing these things is what Im good at....

Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by a-rod View Post
It really doesnt matter whether its boxed or not, it comes down to the thickness and quality of the metal. I think the whole boxing thing is way over rated. I know theres benefits to it but not when they use thin soft metal. Superduty frames are thick and hard to bend, take a hammer to a superduty frame and then go to a GM HD frame, theres a clear difference. This also goes with the F-150 compared to the chevy half ton frame. I am actually real impressed with the F-150 frames, they seem very stiff. But It Also depends on the curves in the frames, A superduty frame is extremely straight from front to back, (as well as F-150) A GM frame slopes down at a pretty good angle at the firewall then slopes back up behind the cab, and these are the places they bend. Also like just mentioned cross-members help out alot, and dodge definatly slacked off in that department. Overall I think dodge frames are decent, There weak when it comes to side hits, but decent in front or rear hits. Dodge bodys are weak, but they always have been... And now Chevy jumped on that boat with there new body style...

If I didnt spend everyday of my life working on and underneath these trucks and getting to see how they really bend and how hard they are to straighten I would keep my mouth shut. But unfortuatly fixing these things is what Im good at....
a 100% agree,thanks man.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
quaddriver
Posting Guru
quaddriver has a great reputation on FTE.quaddriver has a great reputation on FTE.quaddriver has a great reputation on FTE.quaddriver has a great reputation on FTE.
Years ago, a few mags did a test of the big 3 trucks (1990 was the year) and they confirmed what I felt in my seat (having owned am 88 chev and a 90 ford at the same time) - the ford with the handling package was better than the chevy without.

However the original post didnt set up a time frame to look in.

for steering and tracking, the 'torture bar' chevy is far superior, but would be inferior to a double a-arm with coil over shock. Fords IFS is next up (we are talking american big 3 only here - same time frame) - but the problem with ford is that on an IFS system, any change in front end load throws off the toe. Dodge was the worst. that track bar would cause the truck to yaw sickenly if you hit a bump with both wheels at the same time - much like the rear of the GM A-bodies from 85+ (just look at one and imagine what has to happen if both springs go up)

Now look at the suspensions today (2008) and see which way they migrated.

rear suspensions? all live axles on elliptical springs - no diff except the effective shock rates are different side to side on a chevy with the forward/backward mounted shocks

As for the chevy front transaxle/diff - it makes for a lighter feeling front end by ditching 150-200lbs of unsprung weight.

Frame wise, the 80's and early/mid 90's were the holy grail for frames. Those big C frames were nice thick steel and chevy boxed theirs in key areas. you could cut and re-weld them and be just as strong.

sure, the overalll PACKAGE of todays box hydroformed frames with thinner steel may support more with less flex - but it is far far weaker in the event of any structural challenges (point loads). meaning bend it - you are done. Unless kinked, C frames with thick steel will return.

and of course the thinner steel of todays frames has another consequence: as Mother Nature rusts it away, it becomes junk far faster. Its not stainless, its zinc coated. it will rust. the corrosion protection might be better today - it had better be. in cars the BoF construction can rust away the entier body (or crash away) and the frame would still be there. today....well once the cancer starts it takes very little eating to produce a ton and a half of non-inspectable junk

but all in all, the old type thick c frames are simply stronger - period. you can bolt to them and dont need backing plates to spread loads. they might be heavy and 'noisy' but old tech was better (please note, class 8 trucks felt no need to change)

Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Speaking of crash damage, I have noticed something on 2007-up Super Duty trucks. It seems they have a square tube welded to the firewall on each side that supports the top of each front fender. The tubes run to the front where they are welded to a U-shaped member that more-or-less acts as a radiator core support with a magnesium crosssmember at the top. What gets me about this design is it looks like if the front of the truck gets hit hard, you could be in for a lot of repairs back to the firewall. I have not seen one of these trucks hit hard enough to damage any of this yet.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:36 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
Speaking of crash damage, I have noticed something on 2007-up Super Duty trucks. It seems they have a square tube welded to the firewall on each side that supports the top of each front fender. The tubes run to the front where they are welded to a U-shaped member that more-or-less acts as a radiator core support with a magnesium crosssmember at the top. What gets me about this design is it looks like if the front of the truck gets hit hard, you could be in for a lot of repairs back to the firewall. I have not seen one of these trucks hit hard enough to damage any of this yet.

Yes on the 08s and up superdutys they went to this hydroformed inner structure, just like the dodge trucks.

And yes I had to repair on 08 superduty that was hit very hard in the front, I had to replace that tubing on the pass side and it welds into the a-pillar/firewall.

Heres some pics of the one I did. This was when it was still all mashed, I changed all that, it was a pain.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Thanks for the pictures! Was the frame bent on that one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The best chassis Ford,Dodge or Chevy?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.