1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

grease gun question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Pete in Maine
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grease gun question

How do you determine how much grease to pump? I've heard "just two pumps" and "until the old grease squeezes out and new grease starts to come out." But I was also told that using the latter method could blow out a seal or something. Right now I've got two projects, the steering system and my boat trailer -- does it depend on the project?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Suber
Elder User
I would not worry too much about the grease fittings IMO. I usually give them enough pumps that I just start to see the grease back flow out.I am sure the SAE Mechs have a dedicated way of doing it. I would agree with you that it is job dependant. If you are greasing your steering system on your boat, it most likely only needs a couple of solid pumps. If you are doing the ball joints and drive shafts, I go alittle bigger than that.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 AM
onefarmer
Senior User
If your just talking about the joints on your truck just a few shots is all it needs. You only need to get enough in there to lube the wear point. Whether it's a ball joint, tie rod end, or u-joint.

On my farm equipment it really depends on what is being greased. On my disk I have roller bearings much like a wheel bearing on a car. I need to put more than a few pumps in to fully lube it but not so much to push the seals out. 3- 10 pumps. On shafts with just a brass bushing for a bearing I grease till it comes out, no seals to worry about.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
couple pumps is a good rule. on the boat trailer I am guessing your talking the wheel bearings. Then it depends, does it have brakes, does it have a relief hole for the excess grease. if it has brakes and no relief hole 2 pumps will be all you want in there. if it has a relief hole or no brakes you can give it more for good measure. U-joints or fully sealed boots on tie rods or ball joints just a little grease. if the tie rods or ball joints just have an umbrella type seal then I pump until a little grease comes out unless some water comes out as well then I pump a bunch more in. Also depends on how tired my hand is getting. greasing equipment or class 8 trucks my hand starts to cramp up! Then battery powered grease gun look really nice!!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Not likely to blow seals with a hand grease gun. You should grease till you feel comfortable that it is fully lubed and any water or wear material has been forced out. If item is totally sealed with a rubber boot that keeps expanding, stop before it splits open.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I busted my tie rod end by pumping till I se it come out. The old rubber swelled up and bursted when i walked away. Glad I wasn't under there it shot a good 10 feet. Now I have to regrease it every 2 weeks or so.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Then battery powered grease gun look really nice!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

His names Rock.........

Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
If were talking boat trailers, any you got bearing buddies like I got, I just fill um till the spring is completely compresses. That way as you drive, the grease get pushed into the wheel bearing and the water out.

If were talking the steering system on an outboard motor, be wicked careful how you have the steering shaft orientated when pumping in grease. If you have it the wrong way, you can hydro-lock the shaft with grease and then have to take the whole thing apart to get the grease out!

Well that had absolutely nothing to do with PSD's, sorry haven't talked boats lol

-Robb

Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
His names Rock.........
I bought the tool for myself,,,(hands off)

it was always ,someone would use them & leave them empty , or non working ....

Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Action4478
I bought the tool for myself,,,(hands off)

it was always ,someone would use them & leave them empty , or non working ....
I hate it when I do that to myself!!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:55 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
dont know about boats but the general rule of thumb for steering components is pump until the boot just starts to swell, if grease is coming out then you pumped too much.
some guys like to pump, and pump, and pump, and pump. they like to see half the tube of grease on the frame, they feel thats a "good flushin'..." lol, not needed though. u-joints you want to pump slowly until you start to hear the grease/air start to spritz out of them, then thats plenty.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
No fittings on my u joints. Stock ford? How long do you think they will last? When I replace mine whats a good brand?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
hard to say how long they will last, to each its own i guess. as for replacements i go with the best price/warrenty. i got mine from advance auto(cant remember the price) but they were cheap, have grease fittings, and have a lifetime warrenty