1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

instrument cluster sweep

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up instrument cluster sweep

Saw this procedure on 99 up forum so though I would try it. Push and hold the "Reset Odometer" button and turn the key On. The Speedometer sweeps up from zero to max then back to zero. Then in the mileage LCD the display indicates "E OD 6". Translation please, gotta be the E4OD software version or something ?

Not much of a test, but kind of cool to watch it cycle.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Hussler
Saw this procedure on 99 up forum so though I would try it. Push and hold the "Reset Odometer" button and turn the key On. The Speedometer sweeps up from zero to max then back to zero. Then in the mileage LCD the display indicates "E OD 6". Translation please, gotta be the E4OD software version or something ?

Not much of a test, but kind of cool to watch it cycle.
Humm, must be a way to calibrate the speedometer. pressing "Reset Odometer" button again I get the display "980CAL". Need to do some research on this one before I totally screw things up.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Humm, must be a way to calibrate the speedometer. pressing "Reset Odometer" button again I get the display "980CAL". Need to do some research on this one before I totally screw things up.
It is...but don't worry. Nothing will be changed or screwed up unless you've grounded the PSOM connector under the dash toward the right side. "980CAL" indicates the tire size calibration as 980 is the conversion constant for your tire size.

As for the "E OD 6", this is information about your speedometer head, or PSOM. E=English units; OD=microprocessor revision; 6=number of conversion constant revisions left. Each speedometer can only be recalibrated for different tire sizes 6 times. When this number is 0, it can not be reprogrammed again.

There's tons of information if you do a search for "PSOM" in the 87-96 forum.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there is a write up in the articles/specs section also.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting info guys, but this leads me to another question. How do you calibrate for different tires?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by brown 4x4
It is...but don't worry. Nothing will be changed or screwed up unless you've grounded the PSOM connector under the dash toward the right side. "980CAL" indicates the tire size calibration as 980 is the conversion constant for your tire size.

As for the "E OD 6", this is information about your speedometer head, or PSOM. E=English units; OD=microprocessor revision; 6=number of conversion constant revisions left. Each speedometer can only be recalibrated for different tire sizes 6 times. When this number is 0, it can not be reprogrammed again.

There's tons of information if you do a search for "PSOM" in the 87-96 forum.
Thanks, I'll check that forum out. So maybe that's what the connector just to the left of the ODBII port is. A two prong plug in a holder doing nothing? Anyway thanks again for the information ..

Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 AM
97 HD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copied from steveBAZ website. It works I did mine today.

Recalibrate Your Speedometer After Changing Tire Size

There is no tire size/code chart because tire size vs. actual tire dimensions are different between manufacturers. Even between the same tire size and same maker there will be a difference in actual size between the different tread designs.

The Ford calibration equation is:
20186 / tire height in inches = some number, then: some number /.6666 = program code

Example:
Start with 20186, divide by actual tire size in inches. Divide again by .6666

You want to use a rolling measurement to get your actual tire height (If you try to measure the tire in the driveway, use conversion charts, or anything else you will end up with an inaccurate reading again). Use your rear tire since the sensor is located there. Mark the ground and your tire and roll forward 3 times marking the ground each time. (I ran over a spot of oil at a local gas station and measured between my tread mark prints), then divide that number by three to get the average length of one revolution (this will protect yourself against a bad reading using just one revolution). You can then divide the length of one revolution by 3.14 to get actual tire height. Be careful in your measurements, a small amount will change the code. EX: 31.69" tire height is code 956, and 31.21" tire height is code 970.

Now, to program it into your truck:

Warning: You can only change the calibration 6 times without replacing the module.

To set the calibration, ground the single wire connector under the glove box it says PSOM (Programable Speedometer Opdometer Module). ”Yes there is only one and it has a spade type plug on the end". I used a wire with clips on both ends to ground the plug to a screw under the dash or try a test light and use the clip end to the PSOM and the other jam in a dooe hinge. Now look at your speedometer on the face of your dash while sitting in the drivers seat and there should be a "reset" button and a "select" button. While holding the reset button in on the trip meter, turn the ignition to 'on' while the wire is still grounded. Let go of the reset button. The speedometer display will sweep once and will show a code of some kind then push in again the "reset" button and the existing code will be displayed with RECAL?, mine said 976 RECAL? Now you enter your new code you came up with by dividing the rolling measurement by PI or 3.14 by pushing the "select" button until it gets to the new calibration code number. You may have to push “select” a whole bunch of times until you get to your code. If you turn off the key at this point the original code will not be changed or any of the 6 lives will not be used. To store your new code press “Reset”. Turn off the key. Unplug the ground wire. To check the new calibration, use the mile markers on the interstate. Run an indicated 60 mph and it should take exactly 60 seconds to go 1 mile.