ok, I have come to the conclusion I need a right side cat. I have eliminated the reasons why it failed. A single cat isn't available form normal auto part stores. $1200 list from the dealer and that is the entire y pipe. I did find a place in CA that can send me the y pipe for 1/2 that. Do I just go ahead and stick a high flow cat on it? Any suggestions??? Thanks
I would find a good local muffler shop and price a cat from them. If you have a cat/y-pipe single assembly then it will be expensive.
Mine had an integrated y-pipe/cat assembly and it was somewhat expensive. I had a good local muffler shop cut the cat off and install a separate y-pipe and high flow cat. It worked great. I am very happy with it.
Thanks for the reply. My problem is the van is barley moving. There is no way I'd be able to get it somewhere without towing it. Just so I understand, did you have to replace the entire Y assembly or did they remove it and replace the cat and reinstall it?
The shop that did the work cut the pipes ahead of the Y and the cat. They then fabbed a simple Y pipe and installed the cat.
I should note that the '95 has two inlets into the front cat, one from each side. So there is no separate Y. Then there are actually two cats. The front cat has the two inlets, one outlet into the primary cat. The shop replaced both the front and rear cats with a single, high flow cat.
UPDATE, the van has been sitting now for almost 2 years!! Here's what I came up with. The left catalytic converter broke apart. That clogged the rear cat. All together it could have been a real expensive fix. What I did, Found a magnaflow high flow small cat ($70) and installed it on the front. It fit pretty well. Then I cut out the rear and fornd an eastern cat for $170 and cut that in. I made sure the GVRW was correct on the eastern but the magnaflow didn't list a max weight so I went for it. Although it isnn't officiall on the road it does FINALLY run and drive. YA-FREAKIN-HOO. Oh BTW I brought the old intact cat to the scrap yard an got $40 for it. This whole project could have easily cost over a $1000. A little reasearch goes a long way.