Turbo mods for curing surge

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo mods for curing surge

I want to eliminate surge, as much as possible anyway. My thoughts are:

1)Van turbo w/ATS housing & stock wheel (NOT WW)
2)Stock turbo w/ATS housing & 1.0AR exhaust housing
3) ???

I tow on ocassion (every 3rd weekend maybe) and I want to add an exhaust brake. I would like to use the EBPV due to costs and the minimal use it would get, but I know if I go with the van turbo then that isn't an option. Surge is the big one. And of course, I'm looking for the cheapest way out. I am not going to race my truck, sledpull, or try to be the dyno king. This is a fun truck that works hard from time to time, so please keep that in mind. I really appreciate any suggestions y'll throw my way!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the want to know myself. Subscribeing.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts
I have the stock turbo and the WW installed - no surge at all unless I turn up the fuel so much that the EGT goes through the roof when towing. Then it will start to chirp at 27 psi.
Basically keeping the boost below 25, ( which is pretty much the limit on these turbo bearing anyway) is what I need to do on this setup.
Even using the Diablo Predator Tow/Haul tune, it would never chirp before the EGTs would get too high and I would have to back out.
I'll see what will happen this summer, I have the bellowed up-pipes, new exhaust pressure sensor and new tube. New Alliant injectors that fire a lot more evenly than the rebuilts that I put in two years ago. $1200.00 mistake on that one.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM
papadelogan

$70 to get this right would be sweet!! Maybe I'll put on the wastegate controller and do the bellowed pipes at the same time.... I like to see what each mod does individually, but it just makes sense to lump these together.

Sounds then like just the WW will do the surge and let me use the EBPV as my exhaust brake.

KWIK - is that the setup you have still? I know you did a write-up for an EB without TC lockup control, but the DP handles that, yes? So even with my slushbox I could use your instructions?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I have the WW also. I don't tow on a regular basis but I have had a load not to long ago that I was grossing 21,780 lbs, had a pretty stout hill to climb and did it in 6th gear at 55 mph without any surge or problems. That would be your cheapest way out and you can use your EBPV for a brake like you said.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts
Originally Posted by papadelogan
$70 to get this right would be sweet!! Maybe I'll put on the wastegate controller and do the bellowed pipes at the same time.... I like to see what each mod does individually, but it just makes sense to lump these together.

Sounds then like just the WW will do the surge and let me use the EBPV as my exhaust brake.

KWIK - is that the setup you have still? I know you did a write-up for an EB without TC lockup control, but the DP handles that, yes? So even with my slushbox I could use your instructions?
You could use my instructions if you want but they don't include any way to lock up the TC.
But doesn't Jody have a tune that locks the TC and closes the valve? That would be all you need. I would get it placed one step next to the tow tune, then all you have to do is click back and forth to what you want to use.
The way that I would have it arranged is: Stock, 20tow, brake, 40tow, then whatever fun tunes you want above that.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
papadelogan

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
You could use my instructions if you want but they don't include any way to lock up the TC.
But doesn't Jody have a tune that locks the TC and closes the valve? That would be all you need. I would get it placed one step next to the tow tune, then all you have to do is click back and forth to what you want to use.
The way that I would have it arranged is: Stock, 20tow, brake, 40tow, then whatever fun tunes you want above that.
I'll check in with Jody and see if he does indeed have a "brake" tune.... ahhh..the joys of electronic gizmos...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Yes he does and it does lock up the converter. I just had the 60 decel tune added just below my 60t tune so I could switch down to it easily and played with it a little bit on the ride home from Smokin'. I haven't hauled anything this week but I will load up the horse trailer for a show this weekend. I will try it with a load and let you guys know what I think about it afterwards.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by papadelogan
I want to eliminate surge, as much as possible anyway. My thoughts are:

1)Van turbo w/ATS housing & stock wheel (NOT WW)
2)Stock turbo w/ATS housing & 1.0AR exhaust housing
3) ???

I tow on ocassion (every 3rd weekend maybe) and I want to add an exhaust brake. I would like to use the EBPV due to costs and the minimal use it would get, but I know if I go with the van turbo then that isn't an option. Surge is the big one. And of course, I'm looking for the cheapest way out. I am not going to race my truck, sledpull, or try to be the dyno king. This is a fun truck that works hard from time to time, so please keep that in mind. I really appreciate any suggestions y'll throw my way!
Check out this thread for an overview on surge, and a discussion about how to reduce or eliminate it with a proper shifting technique that keeps you below the "surge line" by increasing RPM, which for a given airflow will provide additional "surge margin" ...

Turbo Surge, Turbonetics T61, GTP38R, & GT38 w/ 99.5 & Early 99 Wheels.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/664991-turbo-surge-turbonetics-t61-gtp38r-and-gt38-w-99-5-and-early-99-wheels.html

I see that the pics in the above thread no longer work, so here's the two that count, and they're referred to as pic#2 & 3 in the text. In both graphs you encounter surge if for a given air flow on the (MAF/CFM) axis, your RPM is too low so that it crosses the "surge line".

For example in pic#2 (sea level), you see that the 2400 RPM line (turquoise) intersects the surge line a 99.5 compressor wheel (red) at an air flow of 35 lb/min, so that operating at this air flow requires an RPM above 2400 RPM or your turbo will get damaged by surge!

Pic #3 shows that at an altitude of 6K ft, you need an RPM above 2800 to avoid surge at a 35 lb/min air flow. Since you're from CO, I suggest you keep the rev's up by staying in lower gears when towing grades. I blew my turbo due to towing mountain grades in too high a gear, but that was before I did this analysis!

Attached Images   

Last edited by ernesteugene; 04-16-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HKusp
Yes he does and it does lock up the converter. I just had the 60 decel tune added just below my 60t tune so I could switch down to it easily and played with it a little bit on the ride home from Smokin'. I haven't hauled anything this week but I will load up the horse trailer for a show this weekend. I will try it with a load and let you guys know what I think about it afterwards.
I'm 99% sure that a DP can't lock the TC in 1st and 2nd gear down to speeds of 15 MPH like my BD TQ lock did, because the PCM won't program for that. If you want to minimize surge like I suggest above by employing the correct lower gear to get your RPM's up when towing grades at 6K ft, you absolutely need a MANUAL TC lock up switch! I had no problems of incompatibilities using my BD TQ lock with a DP 40/60 TOW.