6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is It A Fact?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by scottman70
The only motor I really miss is the 5.0! I had a GT mustang (1986) that thing was fast.
The 5.0 was a car engine. Was never a good truck engine...unless in a light weight F150...and even then a complete slug...in OEM form.

I agree...in a Mustang (light car) it was a fine motor, but never belonged in an F-Series truck...IMHO. My Dad owned a 1990 F150 4x4 with a 5.0L...and that thing got 14mpg highway with no load. Sorry...but the 5.0L not the BEST engine FORD ever decided to put a in a truck.

Forgetaboutit...talking about the modular engines. Once again...IMO...the 5.4L and 6.8L V10 are in another BETTER class altogether.

Just my .02 here...

biz

Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 AM
78F150XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was a hit and miss with the 5.0's in the f150's.. pre94-95 when they didnt have the roller cam set up they were harsh on fuel. when they changed over to the roller cam set up it improved way more... i out pulled a 5.4L with my 5.0L on dry pavement many of times to shut the guy up about him bragging it has so much mroe power... the 5.4s have a higher failure rate the the5.0's or 5.8's, personally ford shoulda stuck with the windsor blocks.

Wasnt the 6.4L desiel originally a marine based motor? I hope, if the 6.7 is true, thats its alot like the old 7.3 in power wise and reliability... id for sure buy one over that 6.4

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
My point was not that the 5.0 should be the exact motor in the F-150. The engine design could have been bored stroked, different intake, heads etc....Those 5.0 and 5.8 engine blocks were very durable and could have been retained and upgraded with better hp and torque and mpgs.....Although had the 5,0 roller motor been put into the F-150 that would have had been plenty of power!!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by biz4two
The 5.0 was a car engine. Was never a good truck engine...unless in a light weight F150...and even then a complete slug...in OEM form.

I agree...in a Mustang (light car) it was a fine motor, but never belonged in an F-Series truck...IMHO. My Dad owned a 1990 F150 4x4 with a 5.0L...and that thing got 14mpg highway with no load. Sorry...but the 5.0L not the BEST engine FORD ever decided to put a in a truck.

Forgetaboutit...talking about the modular engines. Once again...IMO...the 5.4L and 6.8L V10 are in another BETTER class altogether.

Just my .02 here...
the 5.0 wasn't really a good car engine,except for something 3000 lbs or lighter,the 5.8 was a little better
the 4.6 was much more efficient and longer lasting than the 5.0 or 5.8
I have had both 5,0 and 5.8 in f-150s and niether will perform or last as long as a 4.9 I-6

Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I've had the 5.8 in a 94 F150 regular cab 4x4 and the 5.4 in a 2000 F150 Supercab 4x4 and the 5.4 is much more powerful and fuel efficient. The only downside is that externally, it's huge.

Lately though, Ford has been going through diesels like a crack junkie. After the good old 7.3 they had the 6.0 for 4 troublesome years, the 6.4 for what looks like 2 and now whatever comes next.

GM has had the 6.6 since 2001 and it's still soldiering on with minor tweaks here and there and some upgraded components like VGT and DPFs. Dodge has had the 5.9 forever and now the 6.7.

Mike

Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the 6.4 is still a 6.0, just bored and stroked a little here and there. the 6.4 is the 6.0 ford should have built, bigger better stronger.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
the 6.4 is the 6.0 ford should have built, bigger better stronger.

Technically speaking shouldn't it be what International should have built?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
Technically speaking shouldn't it be what International should have built?
Yes, but Ford still chose to use there motors. So ultimately the responsibility lies with Ford and International combined. Hey when things are good (the 7.3 era) all was well. I really think Ford should have went after International for damaging there reputation and hurting sales of there diesel trucks. I have talked to a dozen guys who have switched to Dodge and GM diesels cuz of the 6.0. International should be paying up big time for all the 6.0 probs they have had to deal with!! I am sure there lawyers looked carefully over there contract with International! I am sure they would have used any loop-hole they could have for a breach of contract! Ford really marketed the new "twin turbo" Super Duty big time. Seems though with it's crappy mpg's,re-flashes, broken radiators, the early flamethrower issue etc...the 6.4 aint gonna be considered to be in a category with the 7.3 motor. Too bad!

Sorry for the rant, whoa this got looonnngg.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Yes, but Ford still chose to use there motors. So ultimately the responsibility lies with Ford and International combined. Hey when things are good (the 7.3 era) all was well. I really think Ford should have went after International for damaging there reputation and hurting sales of there diesel trucks. I have talked to a dozen guys who have switched to Dodge and GM diesels cuz of the 6.0. International should be paying up big time for all the 6.0 probs they have had to deal with!! I am sure there lawyers looked carefully over there contract with International! I am sure they would have used any loop-hole they could have for a breach of contract! Ford really marketed the new "twin turbo" Super Duty big time. Seems though with it's crappy mpg's,re-flashes, broken radiators, the early flamethrower issue etc...the 6.4 aint gonna be considered to be in a category with the 7.3 motor. Too bad!

International thinks they should go after Ford for damaging their reputation.
What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

You need to stop living in the past, personally I believe the 6.4 will come out miles ahead of what the 7.3 ever was. I know my own 6.0 sure is

Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was what? Two reported cases of fire coming out the tailpipe? Broken radiators are not even related to the 6.4! International doesn't give ford radiators, ford buys them from another supplier, and what reflashes do you speak of? The 7.3 wasn't spotless either, HPOP failing, Oil draining out of HPOP reservoir, fuel delivery problems to the injectors, EBPV sticking/failing, "ROMP" problem, and a few 7.3s seem to enjoy putting holes in pistons.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
The 7.3 was and is a good motor but not a great motor,I have nrver been a fan of V-style diesel engines,but it's what came in the kind of truck I drive

Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
the 6.4 is still a 6.0, just bored and stroked a little here and there. the 6.4 is the 6.0 ford should have built, bigger better stronger.
The 6.4 is not a 6.0. They might share a block (which was about the only thing the 6.0 had that didn't break), but that's about it.

The 6.4 is everything that the 6.0 should have been. Common rail injection, pilot injection, servo actuated turbos VGT turbo, the heads stay on, very little turbo lag.

IMO the 6.4 will end up being better than the 7.3.

Mike

Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 AM
parkland
Lead Driver

The 6.0 isnt ford, or international's motor. Its a international vt365, souped up by ford. Fact is, internationals version has more low end tourque, less problems, all around better.

Ford needs the engine to run like a gasser, and the ford parts and programming is what causes the problematic behavior.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
The 6.0 isnt ford, or international's motor. Its a international vt365, souped up by ford. Fact is, internationals version has more low end tourque, less problems, all around better.

Ford needs the engine to run like a gasser, and the ford parts and programming is what causes the problematic behavior.
Can't the 6.0s be wound upto to 4k+ RPM stock?

Quick Reply: Is It A Fact?