Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting a/c in a non a/c truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
putting a/c in a non a/c truck

i got a 94 f150 reg cab shortbed I6

its getting warmer and i was wondering how hard and how much it would cost to put air conditioning in my truck

Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 363 Likes on 292 Posts
Do you want it to look and work like the factory setup or do you just want cool air?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

i just want cool air

Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 363 Likes on 292 Posts
Well, I live in Texas, so I don't see trucks without AC very often (read: never) but under the hood on the passenger side firewall, I would guess there is some sort of air duct housing that is just the blower motor and then a plenum that directs that air into the inside of the cabin where the heater core is. I am thinking you can replace that with the identical piece (when I say identical I mean it goes in the same spot) from an AC-truck that will have the blower motor and the evaporator core in it. You will then use your existing air ducts for vent and defrost and such that is already in your truck under the dash. You would need the rest of the underhood AC setup (i.e. compressor, hoses, dryer, condensor) and then just use a toggle switch under the dash to turn on the compressor when you want cool air.

Doesn't your truck already have dash registers for ventilation? If so then the in-cab ducting you need is already there, you just need the stuff that goes under the hood.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You also need to rig up a switch for it, because the factory non-ac dash doesn't have the switch that rotates all the way to the left for AC, as you probably have found out... Grab one of em from the scrap yard.

I know in Cali you practically get the death penalty for messing with the AC because coolant can get out, and you can't buy any coolant (legally) at the stores. Might be different where you live, but check that out.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
dans78f100
Freshman User
you cant buy 134a in cali either?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Gweeds is correct, the non-AC control panel doesn't have the switch for AC, but the necessary wiring is. All you need to do is replace that control panel with one from an AC truck, and the connector for the AC's clutch under the hood will be activated when you rotate the new switch to AC. If you can't find a truck control panel, you can use one from a Taurus or Sable - that's what I have in my 93 crewcab. Three of the four mounting holes line up and it's fine.

It's best to leech parts from a donor vehicle out of a junkyard, as you can get the parts at a lower cost than if you bought them new and didn't have anything to trade in as a "core". When I leeched AC components two summers ago (out of a 96 F250) I paid $100 for everything... compressor, clutch, bolts to mount the compressor to the existing bracketry, the condensor, evaporator, all the hard lines and even the heater box assembly that mounts on the firewall. Took a few hours to take everything out cleanly but it was worth it.

Since Freon is now considered "illegal" you'll have to find a shop that collected freon before the ban for filling your system, to which they probably will charge you an arm and a leg for. There are freon alternatives that work fine, and make an acceptable replacement for older vehicles.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Animalistic
Elder User
If you do not want to pull all the parts from a bone yard, Mark IV is still around. I have used them in my '67 International and '65 Chrysler. Here are a couple of links to check out. You may want to check out the bone yards for a Mark IV system. They have their own ducts so you do not have to replace your dash.

MARK IV Automotive

Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com

Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dans78f100
you cant buy 134a in cali either?
you can't buy anything in California when I come to think of it... I tried to get a pistol shipped here from Nevada and it took 2 months and 100+ $... Don't mean to get off topic, but...

Ooh, and every year the dmv sends me a letter saying its time to smog my diesel. Getting tired of having to explain that one every single time...