2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge Tuner ordered today!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:04 AM
XolieX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Tuner ordered today!!!

i went ahead and pulled the trigger today and ordered the edge product today at the local auth dealer. i thought since volant isn't CARB cert yet i'll wait for that to happen and have the edge ordered because i can leave no trace of me having it. i decided to order it from a local dealer because most of the places selling online are here in california so they are going to charge me tax anyways with shipping. so it was cheaper to go with the local company here. and plus edge told me that if i bought from someone on ebay or etc and something went wrong, they won't honor the anyting without a receipt. i paid 430 today for it.

got a question though, in other post people are saying they are saying if ford flashes it, it won't work anymore? is that true? so i basically got to have ford to never touch the pcm?

i saw a youtube.com clip on how to install it, it seems pretty easy to install and i hope it installs easily.

i hope to immediately set it on stage 2 and like it. be cool to gain a few MPG with it, i am averaging 15.6mpg going to work everyday with a few city driving. (i drive alot of backroad 50-60mph driving, mostly open road) mostly all city is more like 12mpg, and the highway at best was 16.5.

and i hope to get a tonneau cover for it and a CAI thats CARB approved and is non KN.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
I know I'm happy with mine. Didn't really see much of an improvement in fuel economy. Not sure I believe the average FE that the edge tells me. If you should take your truck to the dealer and they reflash the pcm, yes, your edge won't work. You can call edge and they will help you get it back to working. Or, reset the pcm to stock calibration before you take your truck in for service. It's easy to program, if you're running the canned level 2, but if you're running a custom tune, I would tell the dealership not to flash your pcm without your consent.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:29 PM
XolieX
Elder User
in what instances would the dealer need to reflash the pcm? so i know when to do it. i don't want to do it for just taking in my truck in for a minor seat belt light staying on or whatever. i know some guys here bring it back for some bogging issues or etc.

i hope that edge gets the thing CARB EO approved soon so i can display that LCD too!.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
I would hope they wouldn't. But if you complained about the idle or fuel economy and there is a later cal release, then they'd reflash the pcm. They could also reflash if Ford had to recert your vehicle for some emission related issue. But I would think this would be a owner notification letter. ALthough, I do know a few dealerships that will 'update' your cal if there is one. They assume they are doing you a favor!! I would just make sure the service manager knows you don't want your pcm reflash each time you take your truck in to the dealership.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 PM
JimTex
Senior User
Let me try to clarify. Anytime you take your truck into the dealer, you want to return it to stock prior to taking it in. They may reflash it without your permission, and if they do so, and you had it on one of Edge's tunes, your original stock tune will be contained in your Edge and the unit will not know what to do with two stock tunes when you hook it up and it tries to read a second stocker. Now, if you are returned to stock, and they do reflash, your Edge will work fine IF the software recognizes the new stock calibration. If it doesn't recognize it, you will need to update your Edge and then try again. If it still does not recognize the calibration, it will be because Edge has not yet added it to their programs and you will need to contact Edge and get them to add the calibration. Hope this helps!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM
XolieX
Elder User
this helps out alot guys, thank! i will just return it back to stock whenever i even take it to ford for whatever reason. hopefully i don't have to, for just a oil change! 1st oil change on the dealer. yeah!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:10 PM
fx4local3284
Junior User
what do you mean CARB eo approved

Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
XolieX
Elder User
california air resource board, executive order!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
Congrats to you on your Edge! I'm ordering Gryphon on Tuesday. It's just like the Edge but it is capable of having custom tunes loaded into it so if you ad CAI or electric fans, or whatever mods you do a custom tune can be made for it. Check out powerhungryperformance.com. If it's not to late to cancel your order. You won't be sorry .

Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by FX4Joe
Congrats to you on your Edge! I'm ordering Gryphon on Tuesday. It's just like the Edge but it is capable of having custom tunes loaded into it so if you ad CAI or electric fans, or whatever mods you do a custom tune can be made for it. Check out powerhungryperformance.com. If it's not to late to cancel your order. You won't be sorry .
X2!

If I were buying, it would be the Gryphon. I have the Edge with Bill's custom tunes and am quite happy. The Gryphon is the only way to go now, as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
The gryphon looks like an edge. I'm wondering if they just get an edge and put their cals in it.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by Twinsdad98
The gryphon looks like an edge. I'm wondering if they just get an edge and put their cals in it.
That is pretty much it. The hardware comes from the same source. It's what is in it that is very different, plus the customer support from Power Hungry Performance is as good as it gets. Bill, at Power Hungry performance was involved in the developement of the Edge software, and many that had problems turned to him to get fixes. This was with Edge's blessing until some issues came up concerning the government regulations. So, Bill is selling his own product.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
XolieX
Elder User
should i consider getting bill's custom tune asap or should i try stage 2 first.

question though, the item says it will work off of the octane i am using. so can i go to stage 3 and still use 87 gas? i'm hoping it'll pump up the MPG a little bit, but if not, at least it'll give it a lil extra hop to it!

give me some info on bill's custom tunes!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cannot go stage 3 with 87. The stages are basically preset performance parameters, with certain requirements. The minimum requirement of the Stage 3 tune is 91+...cannot cheat it (or you CAN, but it could potentially damage your motor when it starts pinging).

Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
XolieX
Elder User
could i run stage 2 with 87 gas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edge Tuner ordered today!!!