1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Exhaust Power Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
GPNJPSD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Power Stroke

I was searching the threads for some info on this but could not find any.

Is there a best exhaust kit that everyone is happy with?

I am looking to install a stainless/aluminized single exhaust on a 97 F350 PSD.

I would like from the turbo all the way back, without the cat. (what are the restrictions in NJ?)

Is there a "best" exhaust system? Easy to install? Good quality? Better performance? Excellent price?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in my opinion the best is the cheapest within reason of course.... aluminized is more then adequate but stainless is perdier if your truck is lifted adn the exhaust can be seen. search ebay for kits, you can usually pick one up for 3-400 for a while downpipe back kit. nj would have the same laws as anybody else, ie if the truck came with it then it must have it, but i have yet to hear of someone being harrased with a pov that removed the cat from their diesel. i run no cat, no muffle rand have no problems. my 69 charger is 10 times louder then my truck and the charger has mufflers on it.

4 inch pipe is good enough for...400 hp i beleive is the magic number but i like the sound of 5 inch. there is a noticable tone difference and the look is much more appealing in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Tim Shultz
Senior User
I've got a 3 inch DP going to a 4 inch strait pipe that feeds my 7" stack.. holy cow does that baby sound SWEET! :0)

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 PM
doncraig
New User
i put on a mbrp system and i love it. the only problem i had was one of the hangers was wrong a little torch work and some bending and problem was solved. cutting the stock down pipe was not to fun. system has a 3inch down pipe and 4 inch back from that, i bought a 5 inch tip,looks great and sounds 20 times better cost was around 500. my 2cents good luck

Old 03-29-2008, 12:49 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i got a stock downpipe, 4" after the cat up to 5" dual stacks and it sounds pretty sweet, but hopefully will be better once i get my downpipe in there. lookin' towards the 7" single though... Tim, you got any videos of your truck so i can hear it? i'm really curious of how a single 7" miter would sound.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 AM
kawa
Postmaster
NJ isn't the problem. The Cat is Federal.

Rog

Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Tim Shultz
Senior User
Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that sounds pretty good, thanks Tim!!!

GPNJPSD, i would check out the Diamond Eye exhaust systems and the MBRP systems. everyone that buys either of those 2 systems seemed to be happy with them and i have been told they are fairly easy to install. i have seen some diamond eye systems on eBay a few times so check them out.

i have never heard of someone getting in trouble for not have a cat on their diesel. do they smog test during your annual inspection? if they do i would either gut the cat like i did to mine or install the cat for inspection, then after inspection take it out and put in straight pipe.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Originally Posted by GPNJPSD
I

I would like from the turbo all the way back, without the cat. (what are the restrictions in NJ?)

Thanks
where are you in NJ?

i have a 3inch dp and a 4inch mbrp aluminized.

you should not have any problems in nj.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:17 PM
mklemin
Senior User
i got my exaust from rpmoutlet.com and was very pleased, i bought a 5" system with a 5" tip but looking to get a 6 " soon. my 2 pennys

Old 03-29-2008, 05:26 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would stay away from Diamond Eye. I've heard they have fit problems. A friend bought one and had a heckuva time getting it installed. Some of the hangers were misaligned, the exit angle is very weird and it doesn't clear the axle right. I got a 4" aFe turbo back system from DPPI, along w/ a stainless, tapered, 4-5in tip for $367 shipped. The DP goes from 3 - 3.5 - 4. Very happy with the install and the sound. They give you enough pipe for a CC LB and to run w/out a cat or muffler.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 AM
GPNJPSD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by IceboxFX
where are you in NJ?
Live in Middlesex County.

I dropped my exhaust yesterday. All I have to do is remove the downpipe. I noticed in another thread and someone mentioned it here, you HAVE to cut the top of the downpipe in order to remove it?

Does anyone know if I could use the exhust from the F350 PSD for a F250 V8 5.8?

Where can I buy all the rubber hangers for the exhaust?

Thanks for the tips guys!!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Passin Thru
Senior User
I love it when you say the CAT is Federal. Good greif, you probably complain about the Oceans dying too! They make CATs for a reason. Why not use them and then when you get caught, you'll be legal and feel good about wht you did for the environment.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:04 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GPNJPSD
Live in Middlesex County.

I dropped my exhaust yesterday. All I have to do is remove the downpipe. I noticed in another thread and someone mentioned it here, you HAVE to cut the top of the downpipe in order to remove it?

Does anyone know if I could use the exhust from the F350 PSD for a F250 V8 5.8?

Where can I buy all the rubber hangers for the exhaust?

Thanks for the tips guys!!
i put the exhaust from an 99-03 7.3 on my 97 f-250 with a 460, basicly a direct swap for the pipes, minor work and hanger placement. i used universal hangers from advance auto/autozone/pepboys to put it together

Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
GPNJPSD
Freshman User
I just ordered an exhaust from Ebay, item# 290217240206.

MBRP 4" Aluminized Exhaust from the turbo back.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I plan on taking the exhaust from the F350 and putting it on the F250. The F250's exhaust is shot, and needs to be replaced. Since the f350's is still in good condition, why not try it. Let you guys know how it goes.

I was also thinking of gutting out the F250's cat and installing it on the F350 so it "looks" like it has one.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Power Stroke