Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen Generator

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 PM
redvalley
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only way I can "regulate" the flow is by experimenting with the amount of baking soda I'm adding. I'm starting off with a slow bubble and if I need to I'll increase slowly until I get something or the truck starts running funny. We'll se what she does. I've got the 7.3 PSD so there's less stuff in the engine compartment (coils, spark plugs, distributor, etc) to cause a nasty bang.....I hope. I'll keep you guys posted on how/if it works out. BTW anybody know an easy to grab key switched power source on the 2000 EX?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
CommercialNuke
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6686L
But you ask "can this thing be built"..? Had you more background in basic physics ( I dont blame you personally ..I blame the post 1950's disaster we call public education) you'd know that hydrogen generators are at LEAST a century and a half old.

When I speculated about whether one could be built, I was refering to an automotive model. You even state later in your missive that "there is no practical way to generate and store it today in today's motor vehicles." Obviously I know there are existing units; I already said that they are used on submarines. You are so driven to argue that you do so even when we agree.

As for superchargers - I disagree - I think you can demonstrate that by compressing the induction air, you DO increase an engine's effiency ( as well as dramatically increasing its power). But, there we are, back at that horny, hungry squirrel again - the harder you work him, the more you will have to feed him. Which goes for super-charged engines too. Which is why, when you engage the super-charger, you MUST supply the engine with more fuel in proportion to the power you want to generate.
When I say that a supercharger does not make an engine more efficient, I am refering to the same old balancing act. Does it improve fuel economy? Efficiency? Clearly it allows you to make more horsepower. That is not efficiency.

You have a good point about censorship. In my own view, you can judge a culture by how eager it is to censor those who disagree with any given "belief system". I personally believe you can demonstrate historically, that the more primitive, the more back-ward a group of people are, the more they will be determined to censor ideas that disagree with the 'established belief'. .
I didn't say anything (or imply anything) about censorship. I was refering to idiots who are so convinced that they are right that they can't discern when they are wrong.

Sure, even in my high school generation, which, supposedly, was more technically sophisticated than today.
I didn't know that anyone was making the claim that high school kids of past generations were more technically sophisticated than those of today. It seems like a ridiculous assertion to me.

So - yes, hydrogen CAN make a great fuel. NO there is no practical way to generate and store it today in today's motor vehicles.
This thread is not about "Hydrogen as a fuel", but as a catalyst for more complete burning of traditional fuels. Try to keep up.

I love your "If you guys were as educated as I am" bombs. They make a strong case that you are a scientific and engineering powerhouse. Really. There is no sarcasm there. By the way, you don't have a clue what my background is in Physics or in any other subject. It's interesting that you seem to feel a need to continually assert that you are more educated than others, as if this will lend credibility to your position.

I think I am done typing on this thread.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Redvalley, congrats on getting your generator up and running.... where did you source your build plans from? What material did you use as your electrode?

As a correction, I stated that the savefuel.ca units used 30 amps. Their actual stated amperage draw is 7-15, depending on the size of the generator.

Keep us posted Red!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
redvalley
Junior User
I got the plans from few different places. There is a thread on the forum someplace where a guy states how to build your own out of a 5gal bucket (first place), then I looked at the saveful.ca products (seconcd place), and one or two others I can't think of right now. For the electrodes I just used some solid copper wire (14 gauge romex). I have a feeling this is going to corrode pretty quickly, but I had the stuff laying around so I used it. I'm going to wire it up this morning and go for a drive (hopefully) so I'll let you know how it turned out later today.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM
redvalley
Junior User
CommercialNuke:

Stick around I/we appreaciate your input, it counters out some of the other ranting really well. Your outlook is alot more resonable than others. I hope you at least keep reading it, and if you notice something dangerous or out of whack chime in.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE

This thread is not about "Hydrogen as a fuel", but as a catalyst for more complete burning of traditional fuels. .......Try to keep up.[/QUOTE]

1) I havnt time to "keep up"....( I am too busy admiring myself in the mirror...)

2) A "catalyst"...? Hmmm....what about an OXIDIZER...wouldn't that make more sense chemically ?

And that has "been done"...any hot-rod supply house can supply you with a nitrous oxide system. When properly regulated, an oxidizer can do wonders for improving combustion (trouble is...significant risk, if not carefully controlled.... that the "combustibles"...will include your pistons and valves).

I would not be surprised if you could demonstrate significant improvement in mileage when using an oxidzer such as nitrous oxide. For the simple reason that you'd get more USEABLE energy from a given amount of gasoline. (translation, supplementing the normal amount of oxygen that gets into the engine thru the throttle body, with additional oxygen-bearing chemicals injected artifically).

3) I remain convinced that my "horny squirrel in a cage driving a bicycle headlamp generator" idea makes the most sense in terms of real-world economics and physics. Of course it wont change the fact that it takes a given amount of energy to move a 6,500+ plus vehicle with a lot of frontal area...! ...and with today's technology, most efficient way to do that is with petroleum-based fuels. But...think of all the fun that horny squirrel would have in his cage, trying to get closer to that poster of Jessica Alba..? Booties...anyone..?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
twtcad
Senior User
Congratulations redvalley on creating one and as said, please be careful implementing it. I too am eager to here your results. Would also love to see some pics of your creation and where you put it. The other guy who built one out of a 5 gal. bucket was able to get 5mpg improvement in his truck or a lot more power if he chose to stand on it.
Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
redvalley
Junior User
If I could make my own NOS cheaply I would use that instead of the hydrogen, and yes an "oxidizer" would be a more correct discription of what I'm trying to do, but the hydrogen does add a little too. Thanks for agreeing with me finally (looks like you might be coming around) don't worry I won't tell the squirrel or Jessica. Let them keep their dreams alive. BTW the booties might slow the squirrel down with all the extra weight....not very efficient. Use that pretty little head of yours for something besides looking at or inserting places it shouldn't be (talk about breaking the laws of nature...HUB)!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by redvalley
If I could make my own NOS cheaply I would use that instead of the hydrogen, and yes an "oxidizer" would be a more correct discription of what I'm trying to do, but the hydrogen does add a little too...... ......talk about breaking the laws of nature..!!!
Shame on you for suggesting I EVER "broke the laws of nature".

Now I have to admit..when I was a kid in the service...and when we were both all "hard up"....AND we all had a bit too much "adult beverage"......there was some DISCUSSION about sheep, goats, and donkeys....but nothing ever came of it...

You lost me when you admit that "yes an oxidzer would be a more correct description of what you are trying to do"... See - here's my problem with basic chemistry. Hydrogen is not an oxidizer. Oxygen is an oxidizer. Hydrogen is a FUEL that can burn IF it is exposed to an oxidizer ( like...well...OXYGEN ! ).

Got to run..heading out to a print shop to have some order blanks made up for those booties...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
For a point of clarification, the main use of nitrous oxide or NOS is that when it converts from a liquid to a gas at the injector nozzle it gets very cold which in turn cools the incoming air and allows a more dense air charge. This dense air charge then allows(or requires) for more fuel. This, in turn makes more power. The tricky part of using NOS is matching the fuel amount to this somewhat unpredicatable air charge. Too rich and you don't get much power, too lean and you melt pistons.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
redvalley
Junior User
[QUOTE=6686L]Shame on you for suggesting I EVER "broke the laws of nature".

You lost me when you admit that "yes an oxidzer would be a more correct description of what you are trying to do"... See - here's my problem with basic chemistry. Hydrogen is not an oxidizer. Oxygen is an oxidizer. Hydrogen is a FUEL that can burn IF it is exposed to an oxidizer ( like...well...OXYGEN ! ).

QUOTE]

I was talking about the oxygen. Brown's (result of electrolosys) gas is pure hydrogen and pure oxygen. They should both work together to increase efficiency. Read the whole post don't just pick and choose what you want to read. Are you some kind of politician or may a newspaper reporter (taking what people say out of context like that......Shame on you!!!).

Old 03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 109 Posts
Here is an extensive thread in which this subject has been being discussed for a couple of months, now. There are a number of excellent links to factual information.

One thing... the embrittlement issue has been essentially debunked for the diesel engine application due to the combustion and operating conditions within the engine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...002-7-3-a.html

Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Thanx Pete... the more 'factual' info, the better.

Red, keep posting in this thread your results and build specs.... thanx.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
joerileyii
New User
ha ha well being a former nuke myself I know all about O2 generators and other things and yes hydrogen embrittelment can occur at the temp inside your combustion chamber. the question would be if it is significant amounts to have any effect. and actually I would think this would actually tend to increase the hardness of the piston tops giving a longer life prior to burn through. just my thoughts.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
redvalley
Junior User
Hacked my little generator into my truck today. Tested with 4 tbs baking soda, gained about 1/2 mpg less than 15 amp draw. Went upto 8 tbs and gained 1 mpg burned the 15 amp fuse upped to a 30. I tested on a 5 mile strip of road. Seems like it takes a while for the gas to build up and start getting into the engine. It seems like there would be better gains on a longer trip (more gas built up). BTW that thread linked earlier is awsome, lots of good stuff, thanks 250. I highly recomend looking over that one, or you can keep dreaming about squirrels. If anyone knows of an easy key switched to tap into for power I would appreciate it. Right now it's just tapped on the battery. Once I get it squared away I'll try to post some PIX and specs.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Generator