Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Removing a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
skyrider4000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing a turbo

I'm trying to remove the turbo on my 99.5 PSD. I don't have a whole lot left to do but am stuck trying to detach the up pipes from the back of the Turbo.
What is the best way to go about doing this?

Also, does anyone know of any links to get some step by step pictures of the removal? I came across a link for this the other day but don't remember where. Thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spray PB Blaster on the v-clamp on the back of the turbo that holds the up-pipe collector. Let it soak, then carefully use a screwdriver to pop it off. It works, just gotta be patient.

These instructions are for installing a BB turbo, but the same thing still applies: http://www.dieselinnovations.com/tec...structions.pdf

Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
skyrider4000
Freshman User
Removing the clamp that hooks the up pipe collector to the turbo looked to be the easiest way. I don't know why then my Haynes manual suggested to remove the bolts that hook each up pipe to that collector. I started by doing that and broke the head off each bolt for the driver side up pipe. I don't even see a way to get to the bolts on the passenger side. Any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove the clamp- Loosen the bolt to unhook the T out of the latch, use a long narrow screwdriver to hammer/pry between the clamp and the turbo. It's baked on and will take some convincing. It will come though.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude I feel for you! The clamp is the way to do it for sure! But I've been in your shoes too on the broken bolt thing. Passenger side is tricky. Use a wobble socket (10mm IIRC) and some long extensions. One bolt you can get to pretty easy with this, the other one, you have to go through the frame rail and then a buddy on the driver side helps guide it in position over the top of the transmissions. It's a complete B!TCH!. I think regardless, you'll have to take the clamp off to get the collector off, so the turbo will squeeze out of there. I just did this, this weekend.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Oh yeah, on reinstalling, coat the crap out of the turbo connection points and clamps with Anti-Seize!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
skyrider4000
Freshman User
Once I get my up pipe collector removed from the Turbo via the clamp, I shouldn't have any probs getting the turbo out. That still leaves me with two broken off bolts heads that hook the up pipe to the collector on the driver side. If I leave it like that do you think it will hold (because the everything is rusted and baked together)? Or will that up pipe come loose with a little driving?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Your best bet would be to do bellow type up-pipes now. You're going to have a leak (loss of power, boost, mpg), I'm guessing. Save yourself the pain of redoing all this again and do them now (assuming the funds are there). Sorry man. Maybe someone else will chime and tell you better news on their experience.