Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermocouple, befor or after the turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ghunt how far back in the manifol were you able to get when you went threw the fender well to install yours? I want to try and get it between where the drivers side comes in and it gose out to the tubo.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I can't remember off the top of my head now...I believe I got it in the 3rd cylinder back from the front on that side. That was about the furthest back I could easily reach to get the drill in there and tap out the hole.

Are you wanting to put it in the Y-collector? That'll be tough to get at.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Yeah I just looked at it that aint gona hapen. Its still raining out so looks like I may be driving around for a week with an empty gauge pod.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
post or pre are both used to keep from melting the pistons.
on big trucks the manufactures quit installing it pre turbo because they would sometimes break the stinger off hence new turbo if lucky motor damage if not.
now adays the stingers are built better and probably not a problem due to the exhaust on a v8 either.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
this is a beat to death argument where the rea truckers always loose to the inexperienced baby truck diesel people. the pyro belongs after the turbo so it can tell the temp of the turbo of course peterbilt, kenworth freihghtliner, cummins , cat , detroit mercedes etc dont know nuthin they only make engines that cost just about as much as your super duty and last a million miles. same with me,,32 years and 3 million miles and 4 big rigs under my belt never taught me a thing,,,,after the turbo.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Too late thanks for all you're opinions Got it mounted last weekend.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oltrucker
this is a beat to death argument where the rea truckers always loose to the inexperienced baby truck diesel people. the pyro belongs after the turbo so it can tell the temp of the turbo of course peterbilt, kenworth freihghtliner, cummins , cat , detroit mercedes etc dont know nuthin they only make engines that cost just about as much as your super duty and last a million miles. same with me,,32 years and 3 million miles and 4 big rigs under my belt never taught me a thing,,,,after the turbo.
Tell that to several Powerstroke owners who relied on post-turbo pyro readings and lost their engines.

Remember, our diesel engines in no way compare to the big rigs. Realize that first, and you'll understand that many people on this forum know exactly what they are talking about when it comes to pyro placement on a PSD. Post turbo pyro's have no use at all on these "baby trucks".

And yes it has been argued to death before. And the winner is the person who actually tested both pre and post turbo pyro temps. Want to know the result? Post turbo readings were completely unreliable. Most folks estimated that temp differences would be about 300 degrees cooler post turbo than pre turbo. In all reality, that temperature difference varied from 50 degrees all the way to 500 degrees. Engine load, RPM's, boost, air temps, altitude, etc all play a part in what the post turbo pyro readings will be. Imagine towing up a long steep mountain grade, and your post turbo pyro reads 900 degrees. You think you are safe because you believe that there is only a 300 degree difference between pre and post turbo readings. Now, if the actual difference at that time is 500 degrees between the two, you are actually at 1400 degrees pre turbo, and you are melting your pistons. Good bye engine.

So, for those who like to continue giving advice and recommending post turbo pyro placement, think twice. This is a $10K engine, and you are telling a likely rookie diesel owner to trust a gauge reading that could potentially destroy their motor. You won't see me recommending anything to a Mack/Freightliner/Detroit etc owner because I don't rely on my Powerstroke knowledge to apply accurately towards a big rig diesel.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
Yeah I mounted it pre turbo in the pasanger side exhast manifold for that reason like I said at the beginning temperature is droped threw the turbo so I figured the temp behind the turbo would go up slower. pluss the main reason I wanted the pyro was so I could mess with the fule screw and pump timing safely.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
I have a friend who is an old timer 18 wheeler driver. He says the only reason to not put the sensor in front of the turbo is that it can get very hot there, melt, break and destroy the turbo. I believe him.

Ken

Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
That was a problem in the old days but now the tips can handle more heat than the pistons so your motors guna melt befor you melt the tip.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
Gentlemen,

If that is COMPLETELY true, then there is no reason to put the sensor behind the turbo. I would still worry a bit though because the pistons are cooled and subject to intermittent fire rather than continuous glowing heat in the manifold.

Ken

Old 02-23-2008, 01:25 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,136 Likes on 2,187 Posts
large truck engines are designed different from light truck engines. light truck diesel engines get the pyro thermocouple before the turbo. large truck diesel engines get the thermocouple after the turbo.