Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ccv mod oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ccv mod oil leak

after doing this mod oil leaks out of rear main seal. got to thinking and the stock hook up is acting like a pump, that is the compressor is sucking the ventalation of the crank case like a pump. oil leaking must be coming from not getting pressure out of crank case. has any body made a home made in line pump that goes in the hose going to rear of truck? or will tapping into exhaust somewhere act like a pump?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
This thread should answer most or your questions:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...?highlight=ccv

Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwhitetail
after doing this mod oil leaks out of rear main seal. got to thinking and the stock hook up is acting like a pump, that is the compressor is sucking the ventalation of the crank case like a pump. oil leaking must be coming from not getting pressure out of crank case. has any body made a home made in line pump that goes in the hose going to rear of truck? or will tapping into exhaust somewhere act like a pump?
Mine created a leak too, pedisal o-rings but mine froze up during a cold spell. So I cut it where it is still going down hill from the motor. Haven't any more problems.

How long did you run the hose and how cold is it there?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
I put mine back to stock for that reason. The way the Navistar factory draft tube is set up, is the only way I would go, but I can't stand the smell. I just clean my boots and make sure the clamps are tight and after 6 yrs, I'm fine with it.

I'm not saying the mod is bad, but if you have too much restriction pressure in the crankcase fumes, seals start leaking. Usually when you change it back, they'll stop.

The shorter the tube the better. Just be very careful not to have any dips in the line where oil and condensation can build up and you should be fine. I just couldn't stand the fumes with all the in town driving I do.

Austin

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran mine all the way to the rear axle. No problems. I think you were about to have a leak anyway and it was coincidence. And you need to investigate the leak a little better -- yours would be the first rear main leak I have ever seen, and a whole bunch of folks come here thinking that's what it is. In fact, I panicked when I did my first oil change and saw oil coming out of the tranny weep hole and all over the back of my engine. Mine was *fixed* by doing the CCV mod & tightening the boots. Knock on wood, I haven't had any other leaks. Well, that's not really true, but I caused the fuel leak when I installed the CCK because of a bad O-ring, and the second I caused when I didn't torque the HPX adapters enough. My own fault...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
If it is about to leak, some additional pressure might put it over the brink.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
kawika
Elder User
Originally Posted by jwhitetail
Are you sure it is the rear main seals? look in the engine valley and see if there is any indications that there is an oil leak up top and running to the back of the valley, then draining thru to the weep hole.

Dave

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Hey guy's thank's for input . I have hose running straight down by steering shaft, i took it off and blew through it, it is clear, it run's all the way to rear. Got to looking in valley no oil there, but looks like oil is coming from back of motor and running down from behind turbine is this o ring leak from pedestal? Ihad no leaks until this mod, did mod back last spring and about a couple weeks later noticed a couple drops on garage floor has did it ever since. Maybe i'll put back to stock to see if it quit's?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
It could be a oil leak at the EBPV actuator rod .

Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm getting the same thing as jwhitetail above. Since I've done the mod, I notice some oil drops on the floor. Pedestal, orings, and turbo are all new. My ccv hose runs over the master cylinder and then down and out to the back of the truck. Should I shorten the hose? Should I put it back to stock? And what's the EBPV actuator rod. Is it the rod controlling the butterfly valve in the exhaust? how could that leak? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ztodd377
I'm getting the same thing as jwhitetail above. Since I've done the mod, I notice some oil drops on the floor.
Did you remove the CCV doghouse? If yoyou did, what condition were the o-rings in between the doghouse and the valve cover?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
I'm getting the same thing as jwhitetail above. Since I've done the mod, I notice some oil drops on the floor. Pedestal, orings, and turbo are all new. My ccv hose runs over the master cylinder and then down and out to the back of the truck. Should I shorten the hose? Should I put it back to stock? And what's the EBPV actuator rod. Is it the rod controlling the butterfly valve in the exhaust? how could that leak? Thanks for any help.
Well it gets pretty cold in Alaska, I would cut it short and see if cures your leak.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
ztodd377 EBPV rod is actuated by oil pressure at the turbo pedestal and the seals sometimes leak .

Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Since I've done the mod, I notice some oil drops on the floor.
I never had a fluid leak of any kind until I did the CCV Mod. I got a leak at the end of the dipstick tube. Replaced the o-ring on the tube and no more leak.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 AM
pullinair
Elder User
Originally Posted by AustinS
I put mine back to stock for that reason. The way the Navistar factory draft tube is set up, is the only way I would go, but I can't stand the smell. I just clean my boots and make sure the clamps are tight and after 6 yrs, I'm fine with it.

I'm not saying the mod is bad, but if you have too much restriction pressure in the crankcase fumes, seals start leaking. Usually when you change it back, they'll stop.

The shorter the tube the better. Just be very careful not to have any dips in the line where oil and condensation can build up and you should be fine. I just couldn't stand the fumes with all the in town driving I do.

Austin
Ditto, I also reversed mine. I do the same as Austin.

Quick Reply: ccv mod oil leak