Sponsored by:

Is the Excursion a "Classic"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Billy Hell
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Excursion a "Classic"?

My first truck was 1978 International Scout. I loved it then and miss it now. I would love to have it back and consider it one of the first real SUVs. I consider that a classic and one of the reasons is that it is no longer available.
Now I have a 2002 Excursion 7.3 diesel and the more I stand around with people and talk about it the more I think I might have another classic on my hands. It has the 7.3 which makes it special. It is gigantic and it has the classic good looks of the Scout and the Bronco. It is a 2002 but even my 6 year old daughter notices that people watch the truck as it goes by. 20 year old kids at Jiffy Lube look at as if I'm in a pimp mobile. And finally it' s not made anymore.
So do you guys think the Excursion will be a "cool" thing to have in 2018?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will be a coool thing to have. It wont look kool if u dont take care of it and it looks like crap. but if its in good condition then it will b a cool thing to have because chances r, in 2018 their wont be anything like it on the market. To me, the ex will nv fade away. Its one of my fav vehicles and i dont i haves to EVER get rid of it. I agree that we have a classic on our hands

Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Billy Hell
My first truck was 1978 International Scout. I loved it then and miss it now. I would love to have it back and consider it one of the first real SUVs. I consider that a classic and one of the reasons is that it is no longer available.
Now I have a 2002 Excursion 7.3 diesel and the more I stand around with people and talk about it the more I think I might have another classic on my hands. It has the 7.3 which makes it special. It is gigantic and it has the classic good looks of the Scout and the Bronco. It is a 2002 but even my 6 year old daughter notices that people watch the truck as it goes by. 20 year old kids at Jiffy Lube look at as if I'm in a pimp mobile. And finally it' s not made anymore.
So do you guys think the Excursion will be a "cool" thing to have in 2018?
Not really, they are no different than a 1983 2500 Diesel Suburban or something. THere will always be something newer and nicer come along. Take the early Sub diesels, they were hot at the time when they came out, now we all know better that they are junk! Those 6.2 motors didn't pan out etc.....I think the Ex will just be another big SUV in the past that was considered the bomb! Classic, don't think so whether it was a gas or diesel Ex. They will always be a fun thing to lift and fix up though I am sure, cuz they are huge!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 AM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
I don't think we're looking at another classic on our hands. It was short lived and didn't sell well because it didn't fit the needs of a lot of people. Many regarded it as "too big" (it won't fit into many garages, and barely makes it into mine). The Suburban fit the needs of most people well, especially since most aren't actually looking for a 3/4-ton truck. Really, the Excursion is a great utility vehicle for those who have a need for what it's capable of.

Vehicles will continue to follow trends. Obviously we love them and wonder "What will we do when we can't drive them anymore?" Answer: We'll buy something else.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I think it could be a classic, eventhough it was short lived. Just look at the DeLorean and the Hudson. Maybe I should buy another one, crate it up and bury it in the back yard until the kids graduate college... it could my retirement fortune.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
The value of my wifes 00 X PSD has stayed pretty well in the past 4 years since buying. Put $3K down on it and owe just over that and it's still worth something, that tells you something! She payed $12.5K for her Bronco and 4 years later couldn't get $3K for it!!! Actually the Bronco was traded for the 65 298 Mustang so did ok on that deal.

The all blacked out X's are pretty sharp. If I were to get another one or if something happened to this one it would be all black, however my wife would want a white one. The one we have now is black with tan moldig.

About the diesel Burbs. Has anybody heard what kind of fuel mileage they get? Over on a diesel GM forum owners were stating low 20's all day long and even some in the mid 20's. Even though the 6.2 and 6.5 wasn't that reliable which more than likely drove the values way down the fuel mileage is impressive.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
And in 2020 the Excursion will be a classic since you'll be able to put "classic" plates on it. If the demand for diesel Excursions stay high expect to see the values to stay were there at for a while. Now if only diesel fuel would drop 50 cents a gallon less than gas like it used to be you'd see the values soar.

In the 6 model year run would guess 200-250K X's were made. Pretty sure 00 My was the biggest seller at around 50K units of which 10% were diesel.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
SIZMDRS
Elder User
think I would look at as more of a collectable rather then a classic. I always thought a classic was something they make that was, is, still is around (like the Mustang) collectable's are items that are rare.. I would like to think I have a real classic (7.3 diesel) collectable (Excursion)

ohhh my blondeness is showing

Beth

Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SIZMDRS
think I would look at as more of a collectable rather then a classic. I always thought a classic was something they make that was, is, still is around (like the Mustang) collectable's are items that are rare.. I would like to think I have a real classic (7.3 diesel) collectable (Excursion)

ohhh my blondeness is showing

Beth
C'mon, folks. Let's be honest. You young people LIKE the word "classic". Look around. You are not alone. All used cars that someone is trying to sell are called "classic". You ever seen a old - let's say, for example, a 1957 Chevrolet for sale ? Anywhere ? There hasnt been any such thing for many years. You will only see "CLASSIC" 1957 Chevrolet for sale.

I recently got off the freeway, to get a snack. I had some Classic Coke with my Classic Chicken. My Caprice Classic was parked next to a Rambler Classic, in front of Classic Plumbing.

"Precision of speech" only matters in technically advanced countries that are going somewhere. Our country has had a national policy for many years now, of down-grading our education, and off-shoring technical manufacturing. Younger people have been "trained" over the years, to "submit to their feelings" and develop a distaste for precision, in thought and in speech.

The Classic Car Club Of America was formed in the early 1950's, in part as a protest against how mediocre American cars had become after World War Two - by the mid 1950's, our "build quality" really went into the toilet. We came up with the idea of the word "classic", for our car club, becuase dictionaries in THOSE days had the REAL meaning of the word "classic"

"something unique, representing the highest standard of excellence".

The word "classic" for the cars we wanted to save, was appropriate, because it was also a technical term, but again, this was only if you were educated, and knew it was from the greek "classicus", a "school of design theory" whereby "form follows function".

Using the REAL definition of what constitutes a "classic car", we only accepted the largest, most powerful, most elegant "super cars" from the 1920's thru the late 1930's. Obviously, using the REAL meaning of the word "classic", an ordinary car of the 1930's, (or for that matter, any other year, could not possibly be a "classic" and thus had little interest to us.

By the earl 1940's, we had the advent of "stream-lining", in which fenders, hoods, headlight shells had all disappeared in terms of their function, into stream-lined shapes.

To understand the difference in stream-lining, look at a 1932 Cadillac V-16, and compare it with a 1942 Cadillac. The much smaller, less elegant, less powerful 1942 Cadillac did not have the distinctive angular lines, in which each shape defined its function, that the 1932 "super luxury" car had.

So - let's be honest - most of you have at least seen or perhaps even ridden in the super luxury cars of the 1920's and 1930's, and know what they look like, and also have seen, say...a 1950's era Chevrolet. You DONT CARE about "precision of speech"...you KNOW what you feel good about saying.

So let's all try a little honesty and admit that these days, since accuracy is now irrelevant, EVERYTHING is a "classic".

Last edited by 6686L; 01-04-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
SIZMDRS
Elder User
"The Classic Car Club of America claims to have invented the term Classic car and thus it believes that the true definition of the term is its. According to the CCCA:

<DL><DD>A CCCA Classic is a fine or distinctive automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1948. Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and "one-shot" or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic. </DD></DL>The Club keeps an exhaustive list of the vehicles it considers Classics, and while any member may petition for a vehicle to join the list, such applications are carefully scrutinized and rarely is a new vehicle type admitted.

This rather exclusive definition of a classic car is not universally followed, however, and this is acknowledged by the CCCA: while it still maintains the true definition of 'classic car' is its, it generally uses terms such as CCCA Classic or the trademarked Full Classic to avoid confusion."

So we have a non CCCA classic or "full classic" according to one club...
I think it will be unique enough down the road that it will earn some kind of recognition rather it be CCCA classic or not...
Beth

Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Wow, I even get a Vocabulary lesson at the FTE forums!!! SWEET!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
SIZMDRS
Elder User
hey we could start the "Unique CCA" and then call them a classic!!

You know since classic means unique and unique in turn would be classic...
Get it?

my head hurts....
Beth

Old 01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SIZMDRS
hey we could start the "Unique CCA" and then call them a classic!!

You know since classic means unique and unique in turn would be classic...
Get it?

my head hurts....
Beth
This thread is just too much for my head, gotta go and take a nap!!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
SIZMDRS
Elder User
Originally Posted by scottman70
This thread is just too much for my head, gotta go and take a nap!!
I decided it was time for wine!,
Thinking wayyy to hard for a Friday night!!!

Beth

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=SIZMDRS]"The Classic Car Club of America claims to have invented the term Classic car

What is the advantage of typing such nonsence ? How do you obtain value from that ? I just dont "get it". Why not just be HONEST. Nothing wrong with admitting you LIKE the word "classic". I like the word "chocolate" and "breast". But when I want a chocolate ice cream soda, I dont ask for a breast ice cream soda.

The word "classic" comes down to us from the ancient greeks. The Classic Car Club Of America is not an ancient greek organization. It did not exist two thousand years ago. Had you read and comprehended my above post, you would have understood that. The Classic Car Club Of America did not invent the word "classic". The Classic Car Club Of America did not claim to invent the word "classic".

What the Classic Car Club of America DID do, had you read my post, and comprehended it, was decide the word "classic" ( as it was understood by educated people according to the eductional standards of our country when we prized REAL knowledge, honesty and precision of speech,) was ideal for our car club. Over the years, as used car dealers took control of our Club, obviously, they forced changes in the definition of our Club, and what cars we allowed in. Hey..I understand..they have to sell cars, and calling a used car a "classic" helps sell it.

I like my Excursion. Each generation brings us new technology, making cars and trucks nicer and more pleasant to drive then they were twenty years go.

The cars of the 1930's, especially the biggest, most elegant, most powerful "super luxury" cars, were much nicer and more pleasant to drive than the cars built prior to the 1920's, (knowledgeable people call cars built before the 1920's...ANTIQUES). But "antique" is another word that people feel good about. I have seen "antique" or "classic" license plates on all manner of vehicles. No question that a 1940's car is more pleasant to drive around in than a 1930's car, and look how much nicer our Excursions are, to drive around in, then a 1950's era truck. But no matter how loud you yell the word "classic" at a modern, streamlined car, it is NOT going to change its shape and become a 1930's design. Try it, you'll see.

It is a FREE COUNTRY...Why SHOULDNT you be free to sound as ignorant as you desire ? But..again, I just dont "get it"..what is the benefit..where is the advantage. of making up utter nonsence ?

Last edited by 6686L; 01-04-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo error (mis-spelled words)

Quick Reply: Is the Excursion a "Classic"?