4.2 engine removal problem? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

4.2 engine removal problem?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
fordkev
New User
fordkev is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.2 engine removal problem?

mitchell says i have to pull the tranny to pull the motor on my 98 f150. Anyone hear of this? If so why is it necessary?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Cvan
Junior User
Cvan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Tranny or not to tranny

I am just in the process of finishing an engine swap in my 97 2 wheel drive. And I can tell you that there is no way you are going to pull that engine with the tranny attached. As a matter of fact I left the AC condensing coil in and just barely had room. It was a wiggle and squirm situation. Your welcome to try but I think this will lead to a suicide.
Good luck and Happy New Year,
Chris

Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Rich H.
New User
Rich H. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not necessary

We just finished an engine swap in my '97 2WD. Unbolting / rebolting the tranny isn't easy, but as Cvan said you aren't likely to get the engine out with the tranny attached. It's an amazingly tight squeeze considering the amount of room under the hood. And if you can pull the A/C condenser, do it - we didn't, and mine came out rather the worse for wear as a result. Still works, fortunately.

RH

Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Cvan
Junior User
If you pull the crank shaft pulley before removing the engine you can leave the condenser coil in. Just unbolt it so it can move around. My Ford crate engine came with the pulley installed and I didn't want to remove it so I placed some aluminum sheet between the new engine pulley and the condenser to protect it. Worked well but was a tight fit.
Chris

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM
monckywrench
Posting Guru
monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
I didn't find anything unusual in pulling the trans on my wifes '97. I used a six-point socket, a universal joint, and long extensions so my angle to the bellhousing would be as shallow as possible. Just normal practice. Long-handled flex-head ratchets are very nice for this.
I pull condensers and radiators on most engine changes (any vehicle) as a convenience if they are at all close to the engine. They come off quickly and leave more room to work.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:32 PM
bokker
Senior User
bokker is starting off with a positive reputation.
hi, all advise spot-on, its real tight to get out and has to be as level as posable so taking the radiator off is again advisable and watch out for the thin earth strap. the bell housing bolts are a nightmare and again long extension bars are needed to reach them. good luck bokker.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
fordkev
New User
fordkev is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think you guys misunderstood me, What i meant was mitchell on demand says in oreder to pull the motor you must first remove the transmission. All I was trying to do was avoid pulling the tranny. At any rate the motor is out now hanging on a hoist. I suspect you may have to pull the tranny on 2wd due to interference between the engine oil pan and frame crossmember not allowing the motor to come forward enough to disengage the tranny. any way just thought i'd set it straight
later
fordkev

Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Bricks88
New User
Bricks88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.2 removal

I bought a 97 with a grenaded 4.2 for 500.00 and Theres no way Im pulling the tranny.You do need a good assortment of tools though. Bellhousing bolts are one of the reasons why long extentions and universals were made.Removing the waterpump and the crank pully will buy you extra room.I left the A/c condenser in with the pump laying on the pass side radiator support still connected.Im about 2 hrs away from pulling mine and I see the rotten exhaust studs giving me more problems,Ill cut them and deal with them when its out. Good Luck

Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 AM
bokker
Senior User
bokker is starting off with a positive reputation.
hi, will you please post when you have taken the engine out as i am interested in how to do it without moving the trans off and suspending it in place. thanks bokker.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Cvan
Junior User
If you don't pull the tranny your just asking for a boat load of problems. I've had mine out twice and it is not that big a deal. Just for the records a bad clutch master cylinder will lead to a burnt up throw out bearing. Anyway, take your time,pay attention to where the parts came from and you will be glad you took the time to remove you transmission. Taking shortcuts is not always the route to success.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Bricks88
New User
Bricks88 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Mines an auto BTW. I think a stick would have to go.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
monckywrench
Posting Guru
monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
I'm pulling a hydrolocked '97 4.2 over the next couple days. Yanked the accessories today.

Since it's an auto I'm leaving the trans in place.
There is ample room with the radiator removed. Pull the power steering pump/reservoir leaving the hoses connected, ditto the AC pump, and swing out of the way. The fittings in the radiator may try to rotate when you try to break loose the trans lines. I grabbed the "round" portion of the radiator fitting with a vise-grip and used a line wrench on the nuts to break them loose. Heater hose access is poor on the firewall end so I'll replace them after the engine is removed. I pulled the intake plenum since it needs to come off anyway. (8mm 1/3" drive socket on a 6" extension, count the bolts to ensure you get them all. Plenum should pop off easily.) The water pump has to come off anyway, or else I'd use a fan clutch wrench and remove the fan for clearance.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
flagbagger
New User
flagbagger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just finished putting my rebuilt (hydrolocked 97) 4.2 back in my 4 X 4. The only way I found to access (or see) the top LH transmission (5 speed manual) to engine bolt was over the top (easy access to both top LH & RH bolts once the plenum was removed - I left it off for reinstall ease also). Radiator removed & clutch fan & pulley were also left off for reinstall. Removing the engine mount to engine bolts (3) (rather than the 1 through bolt to frame) also made it easier to slide the engine fore and aft while lifting/lowering.
Cheers
Flagbagger

Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
monckywrench
Posting Guru
Ditto what flagbagger said!

Whoever designed the Ford mounts needs to be clubbed like a baby seal, but access isn't too bad with the plastic inner fenderwells removed.
Top LH bolt came out OK using a 13mm Gearwrench.

Since its due a teardown and the exhaust pipe bolts are rusted solid, I unbolted the manifolds from the head, raised the engine, and removed both engine mounts. With them off I lowered the engine and had more access to the bellhousing bolts. (Works good on Jeeps too.)

Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM
98spyder
New User
98spyder is starting off with a positive reputation.
which is easyer? pull or lift.

I pulled a cab of a wrecked 04 f150 a couple months ago and I forgot to unhook some A/C lines Had to bust out the hand grinder. But besides that it seemed pretty easy. I haven't done it in reverse, so it mite be different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.2 engine removal problem?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.