Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

cold advance solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
j tate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold advance solenoid

hi all, its been a while since ive posted. im dealling with a constant smoke issue after start up and after it warms up too. the whole time it sits and runs it has a light trail of smoke coming out of the tailpipe. do you think it could be the cold advance solenoid that went out. ive tried listening to the ip for a click or a change in the way it runs, when you unplug the electrical wire from on top the ip. i just dont seee no change in anything. what do you all think about the situation?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cold timing advance solenoid only lifts a small check ball in the return fitting on the top of the IP cover. The FSS (fuel shutoff solenoid) is what really clicks when power is removed/attached. Best test of CTA is when you have it running on fast idle on a cold start, disconnect the CTA wire at the IP the engine should quieten down.... not so much rattle. Hook it back up the rattle increases.

Have you checked for air in the system...... done any maintenance around the return lines..... how old are the injectors, what does the smoke smell like fuel/coolant/oil. http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

The front wire on the IP drivers side (USA) is the FSS and the rear wire is the CTA.

Have you done a fuel lift pump test...

Take the filter header Schrader valve core out and hook a hose and pressure guage to the outlet.........crank engine see what you get for pressure, should have 4-6 psi from a good lift pump.
Volume test same place hook a hose to it crank over the engine 10 seconds you should get 1/3 pint of fuel minimum or 1 pint at 675 rpm in 30 seconds... engine running
Important the fuel shutoff solenoid (FSS) wire on the IP should be disconnected if you do not want a start just cranking. Re connect FSS after test complete.

Last edited by PLC7.3; 12-21-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 PM
j tate
Senior User
thanks plc7.3 for the responce. ive put clear hoses on every hose i could and there is no sighn of air in the lines while it is running are after it sits for awhile. so i know its not an air issue and i have no problems with it starting at all. ive done a fuel test a while back and everything was alright. now as for as unplugging the cta and hearing a difference in the way it rattles, cant tell a difference in the way it runs. i did notice while i had the air filter off every time you rev it up you can see a trickle of oil drain out of the cdr valve hole. i took a flash light and looked down the intake and the two back ports are wet with oil, so i guess its time for another cdr valve. do you think that with the cover on the breather that it sucks so much oil out of the cdr hole that that could be my smoke issue? another question i have is on the ip which direction do you turn the ip to advance the timing. is it to the pas or driver side, mine is about a dimes width to the passenger side of the vehickle.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 PM
dieselutheran21
Senior User
"which direction do you turn the ip to advance the timing. is it to the pas or driver side, mine is about a dimes width to the passenger side of the vehickle."

turning the IP towards the passenger side advances, toward the drivers retards it. Hope this helps.