can all ac compressors

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can all ac compressors

be normal air compressors if you un hook them from all the other junk??? if so how much psi will these things build and how fast do they pump???

Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstrokeddiesel
be normal air compressors if you un hook them from all the other junk??? if so how much psi will these things build and how fast do they pump???
No. The old Ford York compressors had an oil sump that provided lubrication. (As did the GM-A6 and Chrysler Tecumseh). All of the newer compressors are sumpless and rely on oil being carried through the system by the refrigerant. They will self destruct quickly if used as an air compressor.

As for PSI, most AC pressure releif valves popped at about 375psi or so. With no pressure relief or high pressure cutout, they would run until something blew up.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 AM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
thanks man cuz i was going to do this but i decided i need to ask somebody on here...

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
joeytoad83
Freshman User
actually they all will pump air and can be used as an air compressor but they need a constant supply of oil into them so they dont self destruct, and youd need to put a pressure switch on it or keep an eye on the pressure and turn ut off manually before it gets too high

Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joeytoad83
actually they all will pump air and can be used as an air compressor but they need a constant supply of oil into them so they dont self destruct, and youd need to put a pressure switch on it or keep an eye on the pressure and turn ut off manually before it gets too high
That's correct, BUT the tricky part is keeping the compressor lubed without having an oily air supply. It would be possible to put an oil injector on the inlet side and a separator on the outlet side. This is kind of like reinventing the wheel when a 12Volt, oilless compressor is about $200 that would be designed and built for that purpose. Repurposing an AC compressor correctly could be close to the same price, more maintenence, and less reliable.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
joeytoad83
Freshman User
just depends what you want to do with it, and how you want it operated. youre right about the oily air, on my samurai i used the ac compressor to become an air compressor, and put an oiler on the intake and a filter onthe discharge side so it gets the oil then dries it out before my air tank. but its quite a bit of work.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
ynevada
Senior User
i took my yota ac pump(no oil storage) and piped in a tee fitting to the intake. the end was a filter, and the tee was a cap, so everytime i used it, i popped the cap, and let it suck some oil in. it worked GREAT...until i forgot to add oil after aring up like 5 trucks worth of BIG tires.

now ive got an old ford(york i think) i just keep oil in it and it works great.

oh, and for the tee fitting, i used one of the coolant fittings used to flush the cooling system. it has a little cap, and worked perfect.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
I use window ac units as Air compressor / vacuum pumps and if you stop and grab them from the side of the road, Braze on the ends you need and use air tool oil to
lube it and have it dump into a tank propane or old freon tank works good. A dryer
on the output of the tank won't be that expensive and when the compressor does
burn up ohh well. In Florida window units are on the curb all the time so a never
ending supply of them for free is available. But for under hood maybe a invertor
on a 110v unit could work but a piston type with a sump will be the longest lived
and cheaper than swapping in a rotary pump everytime it burns out.