Sponsored by:

Fog Lights when you want them fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:21 AM
2xtremexj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights when you want them fix

It took me some time in searching over on the Heavy Duty forum to find this information so I thougth I would post this here for others.

My 01 Ex OEM fog lights only worked when the headlights were on and turned off when the high beams were on. The switched worked properly (pull out for the fog lights as soon as the parking lights are on). Apparantly some have to "break" and glue their switches to get them on with only the parking lights, I don't know what years or models.

I wanted the fog lights on without the headlights (with the parking lights on) and for them to stay on when the high beams are on.

I pulled the headlight switch from the dashboard and found the white wire with black line on the back of the switch. I cut this wire a few inches from the switch and taped the wire going into the dash harness. I then took the end going into the switch and spliced it into the brown wire on the back of the fog light harness/plug.

Sorry I didn't take pic's, but it is pretty self explanatory.
Hope this can help others.
Michael

Old 11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
mohrds
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2xtremexj
It took me some time in searching over on the Heavy Duty forum to find this information so I thougth I would post this here for others.

My 01 Ex OEM fog lights only worked when the headlights were on and turned off when the high beams were on. The switched worked properly (pull out for the fog lights as soon as the parking lights are on). Apparantly some have to "break" and glue their switches to get them on with only the parking lights, I don't know what years or models.

I wanted the fog lights on without the headlights (with the parking lights on) and for them to stay on when the high beams are on.

I pulled the headlight switch from the dashboard and found the white wire with black line on the back of the switch. I cut this wire a few inches from the switch and taped the wire going into the dash harness. I then took the end going into the switch and spliced it into the brown wire on the back of the fog light harness/plug.

Sorry I didn't take pic's, but it is pretty self explanatory.
Hope this can help others.
Michael
Do they still go off when you switch to the high beams? I would like to use the fogs as Daytime Running Lights. I think they are in a good position and not blinding to other traffic.

Doug

Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Doug, if u not up to the trickey wires, u can do what i did and wire the fogs to a seperate swtich in the dash. Pics r in the gallery of the type of switch and where i located it at.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I found it here sometime and posted it. There was a really long thread, that is probably buried now.
Anyhow, maybe we need to get it int he Tech folder.

Here's a pic from mine...

From left to right
White wire with black tracer is cut and spliced in to brown wire (from switch - feeding end is taped off and not used). Fog Lights works on Park and with Hi Beams.
Blue wire with Pink tracer is spliced in to wireing feeding the lights of add-on gauges - this allows them to dim with all other dash lightes.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
2xtremexj
Senior User
Thanks for posting the pic's. I did not find that same thread, but several others. I did only the fog light fix, not the dimming of other gauges (I think mine already dim I will have to double check). Very simple and I love the fact that I can have the fog's on with only the parking lights and they stay on with the high beams. In reality they work like haveing them on a indepedant switch but much cleaner.

Michael

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
mohrds
Senior User
The main reason I was asking was because in WI, you can't have more than two sets of forward-facing lights on at a time. An old quirk in the wording counts any high beams as two sets, whether it is a 2 or 4 headlamp system. The State Patrol and many County Sheriffs use that law to collect revenue from uninformed motorists who add fog lights.

Doug

Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
This topic comes up with some regularity, and fortunately it is a super easy fix, less than 20 minutes and $10, if you do it the way I did mine.

And a VERY worthwhile modification, as it makes a huge difference.

Here is a detailed and somewhat **** how-to from somewhere:

http://www.turrisimotorsports.com/garage/excursion/modifications-maintenance/electrical/constant_fog_lights/constant_fog_lights.htm

Here is the discussion here, where I posted my quicker-and-easier version:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...dlights-2.html

This makes the fog lights come on when you turn them on with the stock
switch in the normal way, and go off when you turn them off with the same
switch. Exactly the way they should have worked from the factory.

John

Quietman
www.roenation.com
2005 EXCURSION LIMITED-options (everything) equipped Eddie Bauer edition 4X4 PSD
4" FabTech lift/level, Bilstein $$ mono-gas shocks, Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Silverstar 9005 fog and H13ST headlights + wiring mod to run high beam and fogs together,
BFG 315/75/16 AT KO's on Factory Mags, 22" front and 18" rear rain-x wipers, Auto
-zone aftermarket voltage gauge, LANDYOT Generation II Radius Rods,
Ford factory hood insulator, Mojave Pin-Striping

Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
At least in PA, you won;t pass inspection with fogs that stay on with the high beams.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
At least in PA, you won;t pass inspection with fogs that stay on with the high beams.
Wow, it is hard to believe that there is a state even more fascist than
here in Kalifornistan.

JR

Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
2xtremexj
Senior User
I understand that there are many places (includeing my home state of WA) that you are not supposed to have any additional lights on with your high beams.

I won't have my high beams on anyway (with my lift they are so high that high beams are worthless).

I just had some difficulty finding the info and wanted to make it a little easier for others.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
Some inspection stations mis-read certain laws, or were told at one time, incorrect info and then they never actually look up the law - I find this to be a very common occurance here in NC.
I find nothing here that says you cannot operate fog lamp with hi-beam lights...
Originally Posted by 75 Pa. C.S. §4303
(l) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a passenger vehicle or light truck if the lamps comply with the following:

(1) Auxiliary driving lamps shall not be substituted for headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps may only be used with high headlamp beams.

(2) Fog lamps may not be substituted for headlamps.

(3) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on the front, spaced at least 20 inches apart from center to center and at height not more than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands nor lower than the lowest chassis part. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.

(4) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when the vehicle and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with the beam not above horizontal centerline of lamp at 25 feet.

(5) A vehicle specified under this subchapter may have only one pair of approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.

(6) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall not be placed in front of a required lamp. (7) Auxiliary driving lamps shall not be used on snowplows as a substitute for headlamps obscured by blade. A substitute for headlamps used on the vehicle shall be complete, approved headlamps having both high and low beams.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2xtremexj
I understand that there are many places (includeing my home state of WA) that you are not supposed to have any additional lights on with your high beams.
Yes, it appears you are correct...
Originally Posted by RCW 46.37.180
(2) Fog lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in RCW 46.37.220.
Y'all peeps out west have some wierd laws. <kidding of course>

Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
mohrds
Senior User
I would like to have the fogs be able to run without any other lights on (Still legal during the day) but to switch off when the high beams are on.

Does anyone have the schematic for the headlamp switch and harness? If I could look at that, I can let everyone know how to wire it that way.

Then you have the choice of the stock way, the always available way and the on w/o high beams way.

I beleive that late 2002 and newer all have the same headlight/foglight circuit, right?

Doug

Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What most of you are overlooking is the fact federal law comes into play when a vehicle is manufactured, a/k/a "Federal motor vehicle safety standards." These standards dictate how many lights can be on at the same time. And they count high beam headlights as "4 headlights" when the high beams are on. With the fog lights also on you would have 6 headlights facing forwards.

But there's occasionally an upside to these federal motor vehicle safety standards as well. Namely, you don't have to rip your dark tinted glass out of vehicles like Excursions when you buy them. If some states (and cops) had their way, SUVs would have to have non-tinted glass like all around like other passenger vehicles.