Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Open Air Garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 PM
vanwho
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH ! And BTW, I WILL be there at Saluda !! WOOHOO !!!
( the " boss " gave her permission ! GRIN!!! )

Last edited by vanwho; 09-21-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: gramatical error
Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 PM
vanwho
Senior User
Karl, went to Saluda site. The gates open at 9 AM. What time will you get there?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Henry,

Thanks again for coming out to hang out with us! I have to say that that was one of the most relaxing bogs I've been to in a while. When Bobby and I got home that night, I said heck with it and tried to start the 150 again, and go figure, she started right up! Oh well, Next time.......

Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 PM
vanwho
Senior User
It just figures that it happens that way. I'm a big believer in that things like that happen for a reason though. Just don't know why.......................

Next time.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
islandhopper03
Freshman User
Open Air Garage.....

Ok...Update from North Stafford. I am working again so thats a good thing. That has prompted me to get the heads I bought off of Craigslist redone and will probably be doing my own version of the "Open Air Garage" under my carport in the coming week. I am just hoping that everything will go smooth as I have never done a major top end rebuild on anything other than an Kawasaki motorcycle.....I'll keep everyone posted and will probably get a play by play photo slideshow of the carnage......

Karl...congrats on the first place at the bogs in the end of September.....I so wanted to go but finances werent allowing me.

Talk to you all soon,
Roy

Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Roy,

Just let me know if you need any help on the top end upgrade. What shop you taking the heads to to do the machine work?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
islandhopper03
Freshman User
COLD Open Air Garage......

Hey Karl,

I actually have a friend who works for Arlington County or city or whatever it is up there and he works in the maintenance division for all the county vehicles. That includes all engine maintenance so one of his employees does heads. That guy is putting in new valves and making sure all the keepers are good. He already verified, since I bought them of Craigslist, that they were straight and look good. I am hoping to have them back the end of this week and it looks like its not going to cost me anything. I like that price. I bought the head gasket kit and new head bolts from Advance this past weekend and on Monday and yesterday, I started the tear down process. This is where I get timid.....The first thing I had to do was figure out how to actually get UP into the engine compartment. I am currently using two folding chairs and some 2X4's as I have nothing else and dont have the ability to get the wheels off and drop it down to the ground. I have another buddy who is willing to let me borrow some small scaffolding he has...that may help. Then for the actual mechanics, I have the manual but have never done this extensive of a repair so I worry with every bolt or screw I remove that I am either going to break off a bolt or take off something I dont need to or not remember where something goes when I am done....I guess its just overwhelming and the fact that its getting colder and colder out doesnt help.

Anyway, any help you can be would be greatly appreciated and I can at least offer some money and all the beer you can drink (I think...LOL) but I work odd hours on Wednesday through Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday till 6pm so that leaves the days I can wrench to Monday and Tuesday or in the dark on Saturday and Sunday....

You wouldnt by chance have a step by step head replacement document anywhere would ya??

Thanks for the offer,
Roy

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
vanwho
Senior User
BUMP !!!

Just putting this thread back in circulation.

Hey Karl? What's doing with the Ranger? It's been a while since I've logged in. Busy with a part-time job since Dec. Sup' at the garage?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Henry!!!!

Where ya been brother? The truck is 99% done. I am working a last minute change with the brakes and hope to get a warm enough day to fill the radiator to start it upm

Check the events thread as I've put up my proposed schedule. The 1st bog is down by you in Charles City on March 14th. Hope you can make it out!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Charles city mud bog is this coming Saturday. The ranger is 99% ready to go, just some last minute stuff with driveshaft loops and window nets to get done this week. Who's going???

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
As an added bonus. The new to me 39.5x18 cuts that have been recently cleaned up a bit:

Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 PM
vanwho
Senior User
Karl,
As I mentioned in the previuos post, I now have a part-time job on the weekends trying to keep the money flowing as my reg job has been cut back to 4 days. That being said, I have to work this Saturday so I'm going to have to pass on the Charles City Fun. Hopefully in the not to distant future, I'll be able to get with you-all soon and see for myself what you-all have created and watch it tear up the pits. Good luck this weekend. Let me know how you did. Gonna miss Moutainview. It was easy to get to.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Henry and everyone else,

Racing this Memorial day weekend!!! Saturday May 23rd at Smiley Rock (located in Orange, VA). The ranger is getting dirty!!!!

Po Folk Muddin Mud Bog

at Smiley Rock on May 23, 2009

For more information on this event, contact Danny at 540-775-9175 or Jeremy at 540-310-4088

Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
vanwho
Senior User
Darn! The wife and I are going to a family cookout that day. Sorry. Let me know how it goes though. Wish I could be there.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:46 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Henry,

race was fun, the pit sucked though. Not a single truck made the 150' pit except for the alcohol/NOS injected rails! There was a guy on 42" tractor tires that buried them completly under the mud and still only made it to 90 some feet! next weekend (5/31) is at Colonial Beach Dragway if you can make it.

Quick Reply: Open Air Garage