1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4 in exhaust with stock intake = problem????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 AM
honeyb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 in exhaust with stock intake = problem????

ok long story short, bought an ex a little while back and am just starting my mods, found out 3 days ago the exhaust is falling off sooooo figure good excuse to go ahead and do 4 in

started thinking will it bother the truck to have stock intake with new exhaust?? so just read 19 pages of intake debate, woohoo
i was going ais like my other 7.3 but now i dont know

anyway i leave on a trip sat and 4 in goes on tomorrow and i am worried it might hurt the engine? turbo? to not have enough air???? is this a possibility? if so i will make a decesion on intake but if not i want to wait and do more research, my mind is kind of blown on intake right now

i should add i am going to be checking some gauge numbers and also mpg playing around with my superchip on tow and drive, so this factors in

thanks for any and all help

Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to a 4" mandrel bent turbo-back exhaust will definitely HELP your truck, not hurt it! Back pressure is bad, and your EGTs will go down with it. Now, any of these debated intakes are certainly better than the stock option. If you read the phone-book sized threads, you know that the 6637 is rated at 425 cfm, but the stocker is around the 260 range, IIRC. I personally like the sounds of the 6637, and I don't have any problems with heat soak contrary to what Gene says. Understand that he is in a unique situation. For me, the 6637 is a very good intake that filters and flows better than stock. To me, it's been proven that the 6637 is a far superior filter in both of those categories by dynos, SOTP-meter, and guys that compete in pulls, or other types of competition. So don't let all that minutia bother you. Look at the facts and choose what makes YOU happy. The only one to stay away from IMHO is the K&N. Other than that, the 6637, AIS, AFE, or Volant will do what you want nicely.

Last edited by Izzy351; 11-08-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
A less restrictive exhaust will increase air flow into the turbo, not hinder it. Before your trip, make sure your air filter is fairly clean and not restricted, and that the lid is clamped securely and that you've got the spring clips adjusted for the correct tension.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 AM
honeyb
Senior User
hey joe

thanks for answering

i think i see what the different sides are on the intakes, my main concern is that i am in a very dusty environment so filtration is very important to me, that and the fact i fully intend to get at least 500,000 out of this motor, this is a work truck

aside from all that i am ok running from tucson to san diego and back with stock intake and 4 in exhaust? i have just never done one without the other and it makes me nervous, especially if i turn up power a little

and i saw you said soemthing about the volant set up, is that new set up avaiblable now, the thread seemed to end before anyone said anymore about it

thanks for your time!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 AM
honeyb
Senior User
spring clips adjusted for the right tension?? how do i check that?

if i dont freak and do intake tomorrow - do i need to get a motorcraft filter or can i use fram or soemthing from auto zone, i was going to change it

you guys are great! thanks for your time!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by honeyb
hey joe

thanks for answering

i think i see what the different sides are on the intakes, my main concern is that i am in a very dusty environment so filtration is very important to me, that and the fact i fully intend to get at least 500,000 out of this motor, this is a work truck

aside from all that i am ok running from tucson to san diego and back with stock intake and 4 in exhaust? i have just never done one without the other and it makes me nervous, especially if i turn up power a little

and i saw you said soemthing about the volant set up, is that new set up avaiblable now, the thread seemed to end before anyone said anymore about it

thanks for your time!
Didn't mean to confuse you. From what I understand, there are guys running the Volant with good results. I know pretty much nothing about how they do in reference to the other three, so that's why I said do your research and choose wisely. If I end up towing heavy like Gene and some others do, I will probably get the AIS for a more quiet ride. Unloaded, the 6637-type open elements sound sweet. Under heavy loads/boost, that whistle that is so cool would probably turn very annoying quickly. If you want to replace the stock filter, Motorcraft is a good choice. I never really spent a lot of time researching stock filters, but I'm sure that a new clean one of just about any variety is better than old plugged one...

Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
what Gene meant to say is make sure your lid is on with a nice seal and that all clips are in fact pulling down on the cover and locked so that vibration does not make them pop loose..my truck had a K&N filter in it when i got her..i through it out and i use a Wix filter from Napa when i had my stock in take..tube stayed a lot cleaner till i got my AFE...it will not hurt any thing to run you 4" now..if anything it will be alot better..

Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
hey joe

thanks for answering

my main concern is that i am in a very dusty environment so filtration is very important to me, that and the fact i fully intend to get at least 500,000 out of this motor, this is a work truck

Since you are in a dusty enviornment.... Don't think, get the AIS. Nuff said. it is made for severe (dusty) service. A enclosed filter will perform better than an open element filter in the day to day dust.
as far as your trip you will be fine with the stock box, just upgrade it before you start taking the truck into the field for extended periods.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 AM
MKOPOWER
FTE Sponsor
I would push for AFE or volant if you are going to wait trueflow is going to have a intake for the 7.3 soon they have the best filter with the best flow on the market (from what I have read)

www.mkopower.com

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
hosemandc
Senior User
The worst thing that could happen on your stock air intake is you will trip your filter minder all the time. I was even having that problem with the AIS. The only way I see to make the AIS work is to punch a whole in the side and do the fender sleeve. My remedy was just to get the 6637. The draw back I see for that is no filter minder.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
You will be fine! I ran 4" mandrel bent, turbo back exhaust with my stock air box for years before I purchased an AIS box and it was fine. My AIS never trips my filter minder and I don't a fender sleeve! But I think I might get one soon if I ever start towing again.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
honeyb
Senior User
ok if i get the fender sleeve does that entail cutting a hole in the side of the truck? i dont mine doing that but i dont want to worry about water getting in there

i actually wanted to put some kind of hood scoop on to move some cooler air over the engines on both of my 7.3, since i live here in the desert and it is very hot most of the time, has anyone done that? i saw a post on the intake debate thread and it said something about having to wory about water getting in? i dont want to do soemthing where i would have to close it whenver it rains

Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read here about the fender sleeve install:
http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Tech...%20install.htm

Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
spring clips adjusted for the right tension?? how do i check that?

if i dont freak and do intake tomorrow - do i need to get a motorcraft filter or can i use fram or soemthing from auto zone, i was going to change it

you guys are great! thanks for your time!
Here's a link for how to adjust the tension of the spring clips on the filter lid.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/609476-heads-up-for-ais-users.html

Definitely use ONLY the motorcraft filter, and make sure it's the more expensive one (some dealers still sell the old cheaper one) but the newer one will not distort and leak around the edge like the other one did under heavy loads. If you want, I can dig up the Ford # for the correct filter, but most all dealers should be selling only that version by now.

I don't recommend a fender sleeve because that's the way my early 99 was configured and it led to a lot of problems with water, mud, and snow restricting the air filter, so much so that Ford changed the design and gave me a free new air box!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:40 PM
honeyb
Senior User
ok just left the shop

4 in exhaust is in and i found an ais setup for 180 here in town so that is in too

on my other 7.3 i cut a hole in that panel so i could get more air to the ais, planning on doing that with this one tomorrow, any other suggestions to get some air in there?
i do think it feels a little sluggish but i havent put the superchip on yet so that is prob why it does not feel as fast as my dually

i have been getting 17-19.5 running quite a bit of diesel kleen - no mods in the ex, so am going to play around with the superchip on this trip and see what numbers i get, if the mileage goes down i will have an almost brand new ais setup to sell next weekend !!! but i hope not
i will post some mpg numbers over the next few days, and i am checking right, takes 40 minutes to fill this 44gal tank to the brim! but i want to know for sure

Quick Reply: 4 in exhaust with stock intake = problem????