1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Seat swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:59 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Maybe. But the console (if I can use it) is already pretty busy. Besides, I have in mind to add two drink holders, A/C controls, tranny brake and line lock to the console . It would make the electric easier to keep the switches on the seat.

I'm also thinking about grafting the electric window stuff, but I don't know sqwat about that setup either.
Will there be room for the GPS, DVD and Computer screen ?
I've made the decision to illiminate all but the bare bones from my donor; hopefully I won't change my mind on the build.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I know. Part of my graft will be to move the seat controls from the door arm rest to some kind of custom thingy on the side of the seat where the lumbar and tilt control already is.

Noodling...noodling...frosty...noodle some more...
I think the seat controls are on the console on the 92 already....... I must have a look...it just showed up last week and I haven't decided if I am fixing it or scrapping it yet......but those seats sure look comfy
Maybe I need to build a Fordillac too

Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Randy,

When the time comes, I'm pretty sure I have a 1990 Eldorado factory service manual left over from my wrench turning days. I should be able to provide you with any schematic you might need.

Bobby

Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
two more cents added here

I first tried a set of mid 80 Caddy seats. They were comfortable as a living room sofa with 6-way adjust. They were also as big as a soft and filled the cab. Even with the tank out of the cab I could never get enough room because of the sloped seat back.

Car seats usually lay back more because of how you sit in a car versus in a truck. Truck seating is more upright with your legs more vertical than in a car where your legs stretch out in front of you.

My latest choice was a mid 80 GM truck seat and it fits perfectly in the cab.. had to fab a little riser mount. The seat was about 2" too low for my taste and my arm to rest on the window sill properly.

here's what I did, if it's any help to you.
seat article

later
john

Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

We have an upholstery shop, in KY and we have used alot of late 80's to early 90's Chevy truck seats. Make sure you dont get the "molded" ones they are the ones in the Silverados. They're cloth and they are glued or molded? whatever you want to call it to the foam. They aren't impossible to recover, but they don't miss it by much. The best seats to use as far as being able to reupholster them are the "cheap" seats they had a vinyl that kind of looked like tree bark on them in the 80's and in the early 90's they had a plain vinyl and had really ugly headrests on them. The seat risers are about the right size and they work out real well. You can use the other seats, but you're pretty well committed to whatever is on them. Not too many shops can reupholster them. We can, but we don't like to as it is a real pain. The later model Ford truck seats 97 and up would work well also, but they are made really bad. The foam is not very good and it has a poor design on the flip mechanism.

They also don't have the riser and would have to have one made.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late 80's and into the 90's GM truck seats work well and have a thin back so it (ot they) will move further back. The bench is real simple since it has only 4 floor mounts and they are flat or even. The buckets have 8 mounts and need more fab work. I have gone on a few long rod runs and cruises and travel in comfort. There are plenty of these in the recycling yards. And you can use the original Ford floor holes to mount with a simple bracket.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Last Chance 55
Senior User
Just my opinion and experience, I started with a stock 55 seat and after my first unwanted and unwarrented prostate exam, I decided to go for late model gm seats. I didn't really like the bench type and thought a mid 90 z71 40/20/40 with center console would do but after trading for one and setting it up, I was not centered under the steering wheel. I mean the column was centered but with the gm split seats, I was over to the left about 3" more to my liking. Aftering aquiring a 53 mercury hardtop, I got to looking at the seats, split bench, about 57" wide, thin backrest, cool underpinning, and the mounts were flat. Great seat and easy to come by right now. They will need to be recovered as even the favorable gm bench seats are. But aint it cool to say when asked, "Where did that seat come from? A 89 scottsdale?" Naaw buddy, a 53 Merc. I love this hobby.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe. But the console (if I can use it) is already pretty busy. Besides, I have in mind to add two drink holders, A/C controls, tranny brake and line lock to the console . It would make the electric easier to keep the switches on the seat.

I'm also thinking about grafting the electric window stuff, but I don't know sqwat about that setup either.

This all could add another year to fixing my busted valve spring.
That last line is right on! Randy.

I sympathize with you on wiring in the controls for your seats, I bought a nice 60/40 cad seat off ebay that had door mounted controls, and the wiring nightmare helped me to decide that it wasn,t the right seat for me. Thats when I opted for the chevy bench without power. I,m the guy that they invented the KISS principle for.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
NOT!!! The Kiss was meant for me and my bolt-on-mobile. Sometimes it is just better to go simple so we can actually put some rubber on the road. I cant believe how easy it was to use the GM bench. I did redraw the lines for the upholsterer and had him resculp the foam accordingly, but it cost no more. My seat padding and stitching line up with the steering wheel and my tail stays put at 90 mph on tight corners..
Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 10-16-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I experienced the "off center" to the steering wheel. Since the seat I found was a brand new take out with no miles I did not want to recover it. I thought that I would use for awhile then decide what to do. After about 3,000 miles I don't even notice it.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here I thought I was diving Headfirst into the Darkside with a folding bench seat from a 46 Ford Coupe.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Herman R
Freshman User
I used a rear seat out of a late 80's early 90's Chevy Astro van in my 56 M100.It has a centre flip down consul with a tray and cup holders.It also has four armrests.The width is perfect.I also used the 3 point rear seat belts out of the same van.All I had to do was remove the seat risers and narrowed a 80's Chevy PU bench seat riser and modified it a little to fit the seat.
The seat is the correct width and the seat back is thin.I am tall and also had to get a seat that could go back far enough.This one works well for me.
And since it was probably only used for kids the seat was like new.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 AM
mason55
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am contemplating re upholstering the original seat for the 55 that way I can make sure of the angle and thickness of the back. At 6'8" and a little large in the mid section makes it a challenge in the cab of a 55. I am also thinking of bucket seats out of a Honda Prelude mid 80's, they are thin in the back and the "seat" section is'nt all bulky like the luxury seats that people like to graft into these trucks and again I can fab them to fit and still have a little room. Would love to add an "extra cab" sort of section to my cab, that would be awsome and I think it would look cool too!!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Herman R---I did the same -99 safari rear seat in one of my 56s and it does fit good. I do not have the flip-down center/but was available.....looks and feels right.....I have 2 of the stock bench seats and 1 is original and tweed/red skirtingg and I always wanted a original seat.....reminds me when I was 16--LOL........I still need 1 bench seat done/red skirt and tweed/tan material---but hard to find....TRUXX are you still looking for the tan/tweed plastic vinyl material??? I may go to 1 color--red for new 56....Bill

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Herman R, do you have any pictures you could share with us? I would like to see your seat. Joe

Quick Reply: Seat swaps