Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

clunk clunk clunk

Old 10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
chief2007
Junior User
chief2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
clunk clunk clunk

I have a 1989 F-150 4x4 with the I6 300. I just completed putting in new seals and bearings in the front hubs hoping to get rid of the clunking noise. Everyone I talked to, even the local mechanic, said the wheel bearings were shot. But to my dismay, the noise did not go away, in fact, it got louder and now I can feel it through the floor pan. I have checked every single component I feel would make this noise, but I am obviously missing something. The "clunking" is constant in forward and reverse, happens with and without 4 wheel drive in, and increases with speed. I'm starting to get very irratated and just want this to be fixed. Anyone have a clue??

Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
17fordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
possibly somthing wiht the lockers if its 4wd

Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM
chief2007
Junior User
Please explain... would I really feel that in the floor?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:44 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
17fordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
it was just an idea on what i thought it would be

Old 10-08-2007, 02:48 PM
dave2
Senior User
dave2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How about the axle u-joints? If your hubs are locked, they'll turn whether or not you are shifted nto 4x4.

Just a thought.

Dave

Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745
khadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant future
Check for loose brake calipers and or parts.
Does it do it in 2hi with everything unlocked?
Could it be from the rear driveshaft?
Did you properly torque the front bearings down?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
chief2007
Junior User
Everything is torqued according to torque specs in Hayne's manual, front u-joints were replaced, calipers and pads are snug. It makes the noise in all gear selections. I'm starting to think its one or both of the driveshaft u-joints, seems to be the only thing that is making sense.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745
khadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant future
This is the only way to do it - one thing at a time.
Just read an article online about ten things that will no longer be around - piggy banks, pay phones, used book stores, record stores, crop dusters, gay bars, and four others that I can't remember. All because of the internet - maybe we will no longer need Haynes and Chilton in the future?
Just log on the ford-trucks.com. (may have to have a forum for every type of auto manufacturer though).
Keep us posted when you fix the problem.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Under what circumstances do you hear the clunk? If it's a constant noise, can you drive while someone is walking next to you to isolate it?

U-joints would be my first guess. Jack it up and check for play in the driveshafts.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
flareside_thunder is starting off with a positive reputation.
You checked everything you could think of?Including the pinion bearing the short shafts the u-joints in the front axle the front DS and the rear DS?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
chief2007
Junior User
I just put the rear end on blocks and ran it through all the gears and no sound... I'm really getting frustrated with this. Unless something went terribly wrong when I put the hub back together, I don't have any idea what is going on under there that makes so much noise. I think I'm just going to leave it until I can afford a parts truck. My plans are to put a Dana 44 solid axle in the front, I don't like the IFS because it wears the front tires down unevenly. I heard from quite a few people that the conversion is relatively easy. I have checked everything over and over again. I have also had a friend down the road who is extremely knowledgable on Ford trucks look at it and he can't find a thing. It's a mystery.

Last edited by chief2007; 10-08-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
baffledinpa
Senior User
baffledinpa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by chief2007
I have a 1989 F-150 4x4 with the I6 300. I just completed putting in new seals and bearings in the front hubs hoping to get rid of the clunking noise. Everyone I talked to, even the local mechanic, said the wheel bearings were shot. But to my dismay, the noise did not go away, in fact, it got louder and now I can feel it through the floor pan. I have checked every single component I feel would make this noise, but I am obviously missing something. The "clunking" is constant in forward and reverse, happens with and without 4 wheel drive in, and increases with speed. I'm starting to get very irratated and just want this to be fixed. Anyone have a clue??
Forgive me if someone mentioned this already but it sounds to me like you may have a bad hub thats sticking and along with that a bad u-joint in the front. That MIGHT account for the type of noise.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
chief2007
Junior User
I changed the u-joints, but I wouldn't be too surprised about the hub though. I'm thinking i'm just going to leave it until I can either get new hubs or a new axle. It's not like my wheel is going to fall off or anything.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
parrisw
Senior User
parrisw is starting off with a positive reputation.
when does it make the sound, be very specific. Going over bumps?? Just driving down a smooth road at any speed and any gear?? Constant, or does it increase with wheel speed??

Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 PM
baffledinpa
Senior User
baffledinpa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by chief2007
I changed the u-joints, but I wouldn't be too surprised about the hub though. I'm thinking i'm just going to leave it until I can either get new hubs or a new axle. It's not like my wheel is going to fall off or anything.
You can buy after market Warn hubs to replace these.
I bought my current truck in March 2001 and replaced my auto locking hubs with manuals. Total cost was around 120 bucks for the hubs and conversion kit for the spindle nuts. I have never had a problem with them in 6 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clunk clunk clunk

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.